GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,514
0 members and 1,514 guests
No Members online

Old 08-14-2002, 07:09 PM

Length of first-round parties?

UF56's post that first-round parties at UF are only 20 minutes long really surprised me... I just don't feel that that's nearly long enough to make a decision, on either side, of whom to cut.

So here's my question: How long are first-round parties at your school, and do you think they're long enough to allow both the sororities and the PNM's to make a reasonably informed decision as to whom to cut?

To answer my own question... MIT has an unusual format for sorority rush - I've never heard of this format being used anywhere else. They're going to deferred recruitment, and they haven't worked out all the details - but when I went through, the first round consisted of tours, where PNM's spend 10 minutes in each sorority's rush room, and two "open house" parties totaling 8 hours, where PNM's can go back to any sorority they wish and stay for as long or as little a time as they wish. So if a PNM is dead set on one or two sororities, she can spend several hours getting to know them, and if she's smart and tries to hit all 5 and spend roughly equal amounts of time at each, she'll still be spending 1-1/2 to 2 hours with each sorority - so each PNM meets several sisters, and both sororities and PNM's can make reasonably informed decisions.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

My first round parties were 20 minutes too. And with 16 chapters, it was a nightmare, that is way too hectic. Luckily they're splitting that first day into 2 days this year, but I agree that 20 minutes is not nearly enough time to make a choice. I love the idea of the open house parties, I would've loved to spend time with girls from different houses kind of on my own terms. But again, with such a large greek system, I don't think that would be possible. Too bad, I really think that's a smart way to do recruitment. AEPhi Alum, do you think greeks on your campus are more satisfied with where they end up, due to this system? I really like the idea of it.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I know our open houses are 50 min a piece. On the first day the PNM are divided up and go to three of the five houses and the next day they go to the other two houses. I think pref is an hour(?), but I don't remember. All the rho chi's have watches that panhellenic sets so they are in sync.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:52 PM
UMgirl

First Sets aka Mixers (Rounds): 15 mins.
Second Sets aka Philan. : 30-45 mins.
Thirds Sets aka formal : 45-60 mins.
Preference : 1 hr- 1:30 mins.
Bid Day : 5-6 hrs