» Online Users: 1,192
2 members and 1,190 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2005, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Question Hiring Discrimination

Do mandatory religious services fall into this category?

I am currently going thru the RCIA process and the program ends at the end of March, Easter Vigil. For the next 3 Sunday mornings, I HAVE to be at church. And then the 26th is just super important of course.

I put those dates on an application for a hotel. The HR associate there basically told me that there is a chance I won't get hired, let alone an interview if I don't have a flexible schedule. The lower the seniority, the more weekends and holidays front desk associates have to work.

I told her I was getting confirmed and that I have to go to church on those days. (I didn't even mention the weekend long retreat I have to go on either.) But I was available at all hours on every other day of the week.

I ask because obviously with the multitudes of other interviews I am going to have for part time work that involves weekends, I am probably going to be asked about my availability. Obviously I can't get out of morning mass, being dismissed during mass and the class afterward. But it's only for 3 more weeks or so.

How can I avoid having my application/resume being thrown out because my weekend availability is shot for the next month?