GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,167
3 members and 1,164 guests
indygphib, JayhawkAOII, PrettyBoy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2001, 02:17 PM
Unregistered-

Red face Sad day in Hawaii

Today, the unthinkable happened. 13,000 public school teachers and 4,000 professors in the University of Hawaii system are officially on strike.

Almost 200,000 students ranging from Kindergarten all the way to higher education have no class today, thus making Hawaii the only state in the union without public education.

Though I don't have classes today since all my profs belong to the union, I have to report to work since it's going to be business as usual there. They've cautioned us about entering the parking structure since the profs have blocked all university entrances, and they've told us NOT to cross the picket line. It's scary because you don't know what they're capable of doing.

So, for the time being, classes are cancelled (except for the ones taught by non-union members). The teachers union and professors union are not even close to reaching an agreement with the state. High school athletics, proms, etc., have been cancelled until further notice. Luckily, our athletic events have spared on campus, though our profs are probably going to picket at the arena also.

Best of luck to all of you who will finish the semester on time!

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter!

[This message has been edited by OohTeenyWahine (edited April 05, 2001).]