GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,455
0 members and 1,455 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2000, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
Post hair racism...locs or not....

hey my people...

i was reading this internet article called "Rastafarian Officer Fights for Dreadlocks" here are a few excepts...

A Rastafarian police officer recently taken off Baltimore`s streets because of his dreadlocks may soon be fighting in court to walk his beat.
A six-year veteran of the force, Antoine Chambers was reassigned from his beat as a uniformed officer to desk duty after telling police officials that he would not obey a new division regulation barring officers from wearing dreadlocks, cornrows and braids

Chambers argued that cutting his dreadlocks would violate his religious beliefs as a Rastafarian, who grow their hair long and believe their long locks are supported by the Bible.

"They wanted me to cut off my locks completely," says Chambers. "I told my supervisor that the policy violated my religious and spiritual beliefs and that I would not obey a policy just because the department wanted everyone to look the same.

Chambers argues that his dreadlocks are well-kept and that he told his supervisors that they were not noticeable underneath his police cap. The Baltimore Police Department cannot prove that there is any compelling reason that Chambers dreadlocks would prevent him from doing his job effectively.

In addition, Sullivan argues that the policy is racist.

"Of course, we recognize that people other than African-Americans wear this hairstyle," Sullivan said. "But it is most commonly associated with African-Americans. I have no doubt in my mind, no doubt at all, that if this was a Jewish officer asking for his right to wear a yarmulke on the job the department would honor his religious right. This case is no different. A Rastafarian officer`s religious right to wear his dreadlocks is no different than a Jewish officers right to wear his yarmulke.....

now of course this got me to thinking about corporate america. the stiff suit, short hair cut and the so-call proper sway of speaking.

none of that applies to me. i am a beautiful african american woman with locs(i find nothing dreadful about locs) , piercings and tattoos for years and years, my parents have always told me think i must conform to the white man's corporate world because that is the only way i was going to get a good paying job. and for years i thought this way and then one day i woke up and said i've had enough. i am going to be me and make me happy.

there has been several times that i haven't gotten a job because of my hair, i am sure. and i must say i find that ridiculous because my hair has nothing to do with my performance. But the way of the world today "THE OLDER WHITE MAN'S" that is not appropriate in the corporate environment.

the funny thing is i even get rude and mean comments from my own race, i am not making with a race topic.

i currently work in a corporate atmosphere and even when i walked in the door i demanded respect and i let them know that i was well qualified. my hair and everything else had nothing to do with anything.

as i write this is...this article related to hair...but i want YOU..my fellow greeks and interests to let me know in what other ways you feel you have been discriminated against, ex...skin color, facial hair, piercings, tattoos...etc...

tell me what you think.....

peace and love and shay-butta

------------------
"the ORIGINAL soror from the dirtiest part of the south"
(cheese grits, hogmahs and fatback)

MaMaBuddha
Delta Alpha/Epsilon Tau
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Innnnnncorporated.
Spring 94
the 24th Diva of Perfection

Alpha Phi Omega, Fraternity, Incorporated
Alpha Gamma Gamma
Fall '98

Order of Eastern Star
Prince Hall Affilated
Prince Hall #27