GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,397
2 members and 1,395 guests
John, PhoenixAttain

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2003, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Free speech or just plain rude?!

Hi guys! I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread so I just stuck it in here. Anyway.

Last week there was a cartoon that was in our school newspaper, The Maneater. The cartoon pictures a grossly overweight woman with greek letters from an actual sorority on her tshirt. This is an org. that DOES have a chapter on our campus. In the comic she was asking the "frat guy" if he remembered her from the other night when she shacked over there. And he said something to the effect of no, he was too wasted to remember her and he was frankly, happy about that fact.

So, now the thing is, the women of this particular sorority are outraged, which is understandable, b/c had it been my org.'s letters on that shirt I would have been deeply offended.

At the same time, a lot of people are complaining and defending the kid, saying he has the right to free speech.

What has happened however is our Greek community has bombarded this kid with nasty phone calls, emails, and even vandalized his car in his dorm parking lot.

This kind of situation really sucks, and I think it's sad that the majority of Greeks chose to act just as immature as him. But these people really feel he had no right to do that....so I guess I am just asking for your thoughts on this.

Have a great day!