Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,227
2 members and 1,225 guests
sigmagirl2000

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2022, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face AI Help and Journey

Hey everyone, I need some help or opinions and I wanted to share my story.

When I got into my preteen years/adulthood, I knew I wanted to join a sorority. I craved the support and knowledge from an organization of women that had gone back for generations. This is definitely due to the fact that my mom left my family when I was young, so while everyone around me had their moms to go to for support and advice, I didn't have anyone like that (I had a very small small family with just a single dad).

When I got to college, I sadly wasn't able to rush due to financial constraints and because I had been in an abusive relationship that sucked up my life. Looking back, I'm happy that I didn't rush because I know this abusive relationship would have affected me so much that I would have had to drop my sorority. In my last year of college, I became apart of a national sorority that was not apart of NPC. Obviously I won't say the name of the organization, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. The dues were very small and at the time I was so excited. I could find a sisterhood that would throw me in debt?? Great! Well, it was not so great. Nationals repeatedly mishandled our money as a chapter and had horrible communication with us. The group had no alumni societies and my last months were spent getting numerous emails of the different chapters closing, which would later include our own I believe, since recruitment went horribly the both semesters I was involved.

So here comes the questions. I had recently learned from a friend in an NPC sorority that I could pledge as an alumni. I was excited, but VERY cautious and tried not to get my hopes up, since I was apart of a non-NPC or NPHC sorority in college. I contacted the group she was apart of and have been in contact with someone who oversees this whole process! I told her all about my past sorority experience in college and she said that it was not a problem, since it was not an NPC or NPHC sorority.

Still, I'm so nervous about it all. I hate the idea that some people will see me as trading in one set of letters for the other even though that's not the case at all. I am not an alumni for the sorority I was in in college (I did not pay the alumni fee) and I have no connections with the group other than two friends (there is no alumni chapter in my entire region of the US).

I'm still searching for the rich sisterhood I've been looking for for forever, and I do believe that the NPC sorority that I've been in contact with will provide that, along with other philanthropy opportunities that I'd love to be apart of. But given my history, do you all think I should still go for it?