GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2020, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
HANG ONTO YOUR HATS....

IU just recommended that ALL 40 Greek houses close—they are apparently all full of COVID-19...but then it’s not due to big parties either...just the situation I guess.
So now SEVERAL THOUSAND students are going to be hunting for housing in Bloomington, IN...which I think will spread it even quicker into the general community.

This “IU Daily Student” has this on the front page. This is going to leave EVERY housing corporation cash-strapped and scrambling to help their undergraduate brothers and sisters. I expect that IU may have a few rooms open....but nothing like what’s needed.
IU initially said they would offer quarantine housing for all students in the residence halls AND Greek housing. Then, about two weeks before the kids returned they walked that back saying students in Greek housing would not be permitted to quarantine on campus. So, I would not expect the dorms to take in any of these kids.

Now that they have told the Greek houses to completely close, they are telling the students to go to their home towns, not stay in Bloomington. There are about 2600 students residing in Greek houses. Some may go home but for others, there certainly isn't enough sublets or empty housing to accommodate them.

It is really a mess on so many levels. If the houses refund the payments they have received for the semester, it's unlikely they have the reserves to recover. If this continues into the spring semester those losses will be compounded by small or no new member classes, upperclassmen who drop because they don't perceive a benefit with no activities and an inevitable number of students who transfer or drop out of school altogether.

The impact will be felt for a very long time!