GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,328
4 members and 1,324 guests
Cookiez17, LaneSig, shadokat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2020, 09:42 PM

Hi guys! DESPERATELY Need Advice!!!!!

If you couldn't tell from the title... I need a little advice! Also, I apologize if this isn't the correct forum for this type of post, I'm new to this website and am trying to figure it out! I'm also so sorry if this post is rather long, I'm trying to give as much information as I can.

Unfortunately the Greek life at MCPHS University is little to non-existent. There are some sororities, but at my school apparently "fraternities" and "sororities" aren't even the technical terms, they're all just called fraternities. Secondly, these "fraternities" are only open to pharmacy majors who are not freshmen, excluding a lot of students in my university. As a first year student myself who is not majoring in pharmacy, I was really bummed out.

I'm just looking to gain more knowledge about Greek life and what goes in to starting a sorority, or if it's even something I can handle. I don't know the first thing about Greek life but I remember always wanting to join a sorority. All of my old high school friends have all joined their own sororities and it looks like so much fun and so inclusive, and I wish I could be a part of it. The descriptions on my school's website are very poor, they don't even tell us when rush is! But from all the descriptions I've read, it's only for pharmacy majors.

The ones here focus mainly on community service, (here's one for example https://www.azo.org/ )
One sorority's description says, "LKS, an international professional pharmacy fraternity for women, offers opportunities for community service, involvement in various Women's Health Initiatives (WHI), scholarship and leadership opportunities, and professional development. LKS provides members with a multitude of ways to get involved, including executive board positions, poster presentations, professional, fundraising, and sisterhood events, and much more"
The third and last sorority's description is, "The purpose of Phi Lambda Sigma, also known as the national Pharmacy Leadership Society, is to promote the development of leadership qualities, especially among pharmacy students. By peer recognition, the Society encourages participation in all pharmacy activities. Since membership crosses fraternal and organizational lines, the Society does not compete with other pharmacy organizations."

I know sorority's are so much more than fun parties, meeting life long friends, and being in an exclusive community than how movies and social media make them out to be. Like the ones at my school I'm sure many sororities do a lot of community service and things of the sort. That's why I'm hoping to gain as much knowledge as possible with how to start one, what the requirements are, rushing, events, literally everything.

I'm so sorry if I seem so clueless or that this is too much for me to do, but I could really insanely use everyone's help. I want to do it the right way. Please help!!!