GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,158
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,400
2 members and 1,398 guests
Cookiez17, FSUZeta

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2019, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

The Long Sorority Recruitment Road

I’ve been wanting to submit my recruitment story for a long while. So here I am, finally submitting it.

So I went through recruitment 3 times at my previous university. The first time, I did not think it was necessary to dress up and went in what I wore to class that day. Yeah I know. My brothers were in fraternities but their recruitment and sorority recruitment are 2 different ball games. That and I had no idea how anything (“cutting” chapters, quotas, etc.) All I knew is that I was bummed to not make it. The second time was the fall of my sophomore year. My roommate, who was in a sorority, encouraged my roommates and I to go through recruitment. I was getting over a cold that week and ended up having a coughing fit during a video talking about the philanthropy of one of the sororities. That and following where my roommates went ended in disaster. Then a new, multicultural sorority came to campus and I was an interest and going to be part of the revival pledge class. I didn’t make the cut, but I felt lucky since I heard they hazed the girls badly, even if they did eventually become sisters. So that was the fall of my junior year. That spring, I decided to give rush 1 more shot.

I also have to bring up that this school consists mainly of local organizations with 1 national sorority on campus, and recruitment here worked very different from other schools (more details on that later). But I will still treat this like any other recruitment story.

So we have 5 sororities, so let’s get this show on the road! I love Chinese food so we’ll make this chinese themed.

Our 5 sororities are:

Hot Pot
Dan Dan Noodles
Pork Buns
Peking Duck
Shrimp Dumplings

So the first night of recruitment was just you talking to the e boards of each sorority so we’ll skip that. We’ll go right to night 2.

My schedule looked like

Dan Dan Noodles
Hot Pot
Peking Duck
Shrimp Dumplings
Pork Buns

Dan Dan Noodles

We enter the room and the sisters had set the desks up in clusters as they greet us. Originally, they had done an ice breaker game where they said “if you’ve never been to X find a sister who had” but we ended up sitting with just one group of them. They asked general question about majors, etc. but I felt like they were talking amongst themselves rather than the PNMs. It gave off an awkward vibe

Hot Pot

The room was movie themes and the sisters were dressed in matching shirts and black skirts. Similar to the last room, we went to different clusters to talk to sisters, but these ones seemed more engaged. However, I felt like any answer I had to an ice breaker question fell flat. Like they asked who inspired me in my life and I was honest; my two best friends. Everyone else said their mom and some had a “you what?” expression when I said this. I didn’t let this differ me as I kept my smile on and the convos moving

Peking Duck

This was the sorority my old roommate was in. I really felt a good vibe in this room. When I did talk to the girls, they were super nice and I even spoke about how I could beat my brother and video games and would give pointers! There were also a lot of baked goods in the room, which helped me get my energy back.

Shrimp Dumplings

Around the tent talk this sorority seemed to have a bad rep. Rather than sitting in tables, the sisters made a circle in the center, but I felt like this was a neat way of being able to meet all of the sisters. I asked questions such as living in the house with sisters and spoke a bit how I had lost my dog the previous summer and was hopefully planning to get a new one.

Pork Buns

Pork Buns was the big house on campus, as they were the only NPC sorority on campus. They also had the most sisters, which could intimidate some. They basically gave us 5 minutes within a cluster of sisters, and the convo topics were pretty fun rather than the generic “name, year, major” questions. This made it more interesting, and I did recommend a sister my favorite album.

So after that long night, it was time for cuts. Yeah there was no ranking in this school, just cuts, meaning you wouldn’t visit that sorority again. So I decided cut Hot Pot based on the conversations I had.