» Online Users: 1,389
0 members and 1,389 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2002, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

What About The Crazy?

I hope my title got your attention.

I am just wondering if any of your chapters sponsor or do activities with such groups as NAMI (National Alliance For the Mentallly Ill) Everytime i bring these up people on my campus look at me like i have something coming out of my head!! I guess one reason causes like NAMI are important to me is because i suffer from a mental illness called Bipolar Disorder or manic depression. I was diagnosed right after i moved home. I had to give up over a year of my life to this illness. And without Such organizations like NAMI to help my family and me through. Maybe people are afraid of the word mental illness? I know of one sorority that has donated money, my service sorority at my first school. When I got a call form one of my pledge sisters, i jsut cried on the phone they had raised over $1000!! This was right after i had gotten so sick i had to move home. A year later, i started feeling better enough to go back to school (at home) and take two classes. And slowly i wanted to become more active so i looked to join a sorority b/c i knew what my sorority did fo rme at my first school and i was hoping to find that again. I kept the fact i was bipolar till i was a sister, well actually i started to get really sick again and my sisters noticed something was wrong So i kindof had to come out of the Bipolar closet as i say. They accepted it, but don't really understand,but honestly understanding mental illness can be hard. i'm 22 years old and i have to worry about things that my 24 year old brother doesn't worry about! I have talked to the greek advisor and to the greek council ( was VP this year) about making NAMI the philanthropy for the council, but they laughed!! HONESTLY, it is not something to laugh about!! over 23% of american adults suffer from some form of a mental illness that has been diagnosed.
Here is the the website for NAMI is you want to take a look

www.NAMI.org

I'm sorry if i make not sense, it's just i feel strongly about these. Hell, my little cousin died from this! Yes mental illnesss Do Kill, Hard to beleive. If you want any questions you would like to ask i will try my best

Binks