» Online Users: 1,476
0 members and 1,476 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2006, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
Actually, by looking at your profile, I see that you want to go into sports marketing and are majoring in mass communications. There has to be other opportunities in the athletic department for meaningful work (not just the selling programs stuff). Are there other colleges in your town? Any local sports teams? I'm not sure where in PA you are, but there are tons of local sports teams, aside from just the biggies. Just off the top of my head in my side of the state there's the Washington Wildthings, the Altoona Curve, the Baby Penguins over in WilkesBury-Scranton ( know i spelled that wrong). I'm sure there are others that i'm not familiar with. Or look into work for the various high school sports conferences in your area- for instance, in this side of the state, we have the WPIAL.

As someone who has worked in the field, I can tell you that opportunities for those jobs are few and far between. Most colleges have a small sports information department, and many of the jobs available are non-paying. Sometimes, they are filled by people who have already graduated, but who have the flexibility to intern and make no money. That includes collegiate as well as pro athletic departments.