GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,399
0 members and 1,399 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2005, 08:34 PM

PSA: Don't Bank With Washington Mutual

I'm going to trash talk them to everyone. I'm done with them.

For starters, they're not big in Georgia so the closest bank to me is over 5 miles from my house. This is a town where there's a SunTrust on every corner. On top of it, there's no Wamu ATMs so I'm stuck using a SunTrust or Wachovia ATM. I get charged by SunTrust or Wachovia from using their ATMs and then Wamu charges me again for not using their ATM. Yes, because it costs the banks soooo much money to have their customers using someone else's ATM. It's a useless fee.

As for the other reasons I hate them....

Last year, I wrote a check to my roommate's parents for $550 for rent (her parents owned the house I lived in). I also wrote a check to Burdines to pay off my bill for $30-something. When mailing out the checks, I accidently switched them in the mail. My roommate's parents called me to let me know the mistake. Oops. I called Washington Mutual to put a stop on the check. They told me not to worry about it - Burdines couldn't cash a check that wasn't written to them. Oh, but they did. Washington Mutual allowed a check to go through that wasn't even written to the party that cashed it. When I complained to a supervisor, the supervisor said, "We have a million checks coming to us everyday. You expect to check all of them?" Unbelieveable. They wouldn't even apologize for the mistake. Why I stayed with them after that is beyond me.

Less than a year later, they have screwed me over again.

I can't get to the bank before they close on the weekdays because I don't get off work until late. I can't get there on Saturdays because...well...I'm too hungover. Therefore, I make my deposits by ATM. I guess this is my first mistake but it's not my fault that they're morons. I made a deposit last week with 3 checks. The idiots only counted 1 check. They lost the other 2. A supervisor is telling me it will take five days to figure out everything. How the hell do you lose checks that are in an envelope? The best part is that they have me on camera putting 3 checks into the envelope but the person who checked the ATM in the morning counted only 1 check. Now I get to go to the people who wrote me checks and ask them to put a stop payment on them and write me a new one.

Needless to say, I am done with them. As soon as my last check goes through, I am taking my money out of my accounts and I'm switching to SunTrust. They are less than a mile down the street from my house, conveniently located all over Atlanta and friends who use them have NEVER had the problems that I've had with Wamu.

Don't bank with Washington Mutual.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by an extremely pissed off ex-customer.