Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,417
2 members and 1,415 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 12-22-2009, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LttleMsPrEp
Taking Time off Before Graduate School?

I did try searching for this topic before posting but if there is already a thread about this, my apologies, and feel free to move/ lock. I'm entering the spring semester of my junior year and preparing to take the June LSAT, as are quite a few of my friends. Amongst my friends and I there have been quite a few debates about whether or not it is best to take time off between undergrad and graduate school. Is there really a difference between taking a year off to pay off debt, travel, write a great American novel, etc and deciding to go straight to graduate school. I'm more curious as to what current/ former law students have to say since that is the type of graduate school I wish to attend, but advice from anyone that has taken time off before grad school is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

When I graduated, I fully anticipated going to graduate school at some time, but never went back. I did take one class while working, and developed a new appreciation for those who work full-time to put themselves through school. In retrospect, I wish that I had gone directly to graduate school because after I started working, I was never in a position where I could just drop everything and start school again.

That being said, as my life is now, I don't "need" a graduate degree, but it would be nice to have.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't go to law school but I did go to graduate school. I think everyone's situation is different, so just keep in mind that what may be the best choice for your friends could be different from what is the best choice for you.

For me, taking a year off to travel and work made sense because I was feeling really burnt out after college. I struggled with this a lot because I had always been a bit of a perfectionist and I felt like I was "wasting time" or something by not going to grad school immediately after college. But it definitely turned out to be the right choice for me. By the time I started graduate school, my head was clearer and I was more focused than I had been a year earlier, so I ended up enjoying it and getting a lot out of it.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!
Old 12-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

I took a year off. I regret that. I wish I had been able to spend an extra year as a lawyer than one not as a lawyer.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Banned

You have to know yourself enough to know what's best for you.

None of my friends and I took a break. We went straight from undergrad to masters and doctoral programs. We knew that FOR US a break means getting distracted and probably never getting graduate degrees. It worked for us because we had friends and family who chose to do the same thing and valued education. For example, there's no one in my life who ever tried to make me feel like I wasn't a "real adult" because I chose to make an investment and continue my education full-time.

Some people who take breaks end up saying, 11 years later: "hmmm...I'm still thinking about getting a PhD...what do you think? Will my job, spouse, and kids be able to adjust? Damn I wish I had made this decision years ago before I picked up these other responsibilities....."
Old 12-22-2009, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I took eight months (the summer and the fall semester) off before starting my graduate program. Needed to make $ to pay for what the graduate assistantship wouldn't cover. I ended up taking a heavy load of classes for three semesters, plus doing extra coursework and practicums during two summers, in order to finish in 18 months. I was exhausted at the end. In hindsight, I wish I'd gone straight from undergrad to graduate school and paced my program over two full years.

Now it's generally not possible to start mid-year in my major. Most, if not all the programs I'm aware of, are lock-step. You start in the Fall, and follow a prescribed set of courses and practicums/internships/externships.

In your shoes, I think that what I would be asking myself is " Is this going to affect any future opportunities?"
Old 12-22-2009, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I graduated in December 2006 and started grad school in Fall 2007. The way my program worked, you were admitted in spring for fall (and couldn't start in a spring semester). So I took spring semester and summer off for travel and just relaxation.

I just graduated with an M. Ed. and I plan on taking this year off and applying for Doctorate programs this coming fall.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-05-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LttleMsPrEp
Thanks for your responses so far. The only reason that taking a year off appeals to me is because of the ability to use my senior year grades to boost my GPA. While my grades aren't terrible they aren't exactly 75th percentile tier 1 worthy either. The aspect of taking a year off that is bothersome are the numerous people that initially start to take a year off but never go back. It was always my opinion that if a person is serious about school they would go back no matter what distractions they faced. It's such a tough decision to make, I've gone back and forth about it numerous times. Perhaps I'll look into whether or not the law schools I'm interested in applying to allow applicants to defer their admission for a year?

Last edited by LttleMsPrEp; 12-22-2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: lack of proofreading
Old 12-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LttleMsPrEp View Post
It was always my opinion that if a person is serious about school they would go back no matter what distractions they faced.
That sounds good in theory. In practice, you don't know until it happens...or doesn't.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I decided to go to grad school after I had been in the work force for a few years and went part time, evenings, while working full time. My own experience was that, when I first started working, I came home every day and thought "Now what do I do?" because I was so used to having homework. Then I started grad school and never wondered THAT anymore. The one big advantage was that my employer covered a large part of my tuition costs, so I didn't wrack up debt. The problem was, I met the man who eventually became my second husband. It was cool when we met because we were both working full time and in grad school. It wasn't so cool when I ended up pregnant a couple years before we planned and had to drop out of grad school. Years later, I decided to change careers and took online courses (not college courses) to get a Microsoft certification. NOW, I'm back in grad school, part time, working full time, a single mom and oh my.. it would have been so much easier when that was my main focus. I have found it hard to get back into the groove of being in school, both times that I started grad school. I AM going to finish this time, no matter what happens. However, it would be really nice if I just could focus on school and not have work and kids and a house to take care of too. If it was at all financially feasible, I would leave the work force and do grad school full time, but it isn't.

One thing to consider is.. don't you have to start paying back student loans 6 months after graduation if you're not a full time student again? Can you swing that? What kind of work would you do during your year off? How much debt would you really be able to pay off? How is the economy where you are and would you even be able to get a job for a year?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I took 7 years off between undergrad and graduate school. I'm glad that I did because I had so much more to bring to the table. Also, by that point I had tried out a couple of different positions and was very sure about what I wanted to study.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: new york...maryland...virginia...depends on the time of year...might add germany to the list!@
i decided to take a year off after i graduate mostly because i dont have the extra funds for the gre and for applications...my brother in law was recently deplyed to germany so I will be over there either just for the summer or for 6 months...i do think im going to feel lost without having school related things to do
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Nope. No breaks for me. However, I have decided that after I graduate in 2011, rather than doing a two year traditional residency, I've decided to do a four year non-traditional residency. It takes longer, but I'll be getting paid a regular salary plus pet production, depending who I work for.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 01-05-2010, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't get any time at all off between graduate school and undergrad. I'm doing a 1 year masters program to become a teacher, so I graduate in May 2011 ... and start classes in June 2011. But at least I'll have, in just over two years time, two degrees!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: new york...maryland...virginia...depends on the time of year...might add germany to the list!@
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxstardust View Post
I don't get any time at all off between graduate school and undergrad. I'm doing a 1 year masters program to become a teacher, so I graduate in May 2011 ... and start classes in June 2011. But at least I'll have, in just over two years time, two degrees!

only one year?? how many credit are you taking per semester??