GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,323
3 members and 1,320 guests
Forgetmenotivy, John

Old 12-05-2006, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Agreed. It would be disasterous for TKE to colonize there. With it's reputation among Southern frat life, it would most likely be a failure.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I think its actually a much bigger deal in UA than at AU. I think for us its more symbolic. It still signifies the same things, but the power structure is a lot different in Tuscaloosa. Based on that I would think that TKE's struggles at Auburn would be multiplied at Bama.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, nobody knows anything.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CrusaderTKE
I dont get this whole old south fraternity life that everyone is talking about each TKE chapter is different and if they are at UA wouldnt that be all southern men anyways. I am from the north but all the TKE chapters down south are doing a lot better than the chapters in the north. All the old south Frats like SAE really dont do well anywhere
Old 12-05-2006, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I have no idea what you're talking about. TKE can do whatever they want. All we're saying is that they'll probably have a rough go of it.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't feed the trolls.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderTKE View Post
I dont get this whole old south fraternity life that everyone is talking about each TKE chapter is different and if they are at UA wouldnt that be all southern men anyways. I am from the north but all the TKE chapters down south are doing a lot better than the chapters in the north. All the old south Frats like SAE really dont do well anywhere
Ouch. I don't even want to think what a TKE northern chapter is like.

We're simply stating it's going to be tough. The combination of TKE's reputation in the south and Alabama's old row will hurt TKE's chances of becoming an established fraternity.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

how's Theta Chi there then? semi-old row?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Southern expansion

Alpha Delt was once a power in the south(UVA, Alabama, etc.), but the recent unpleasantness set us back a bit. We have recently begun a return, finding that the changing demographics of many southern schools has lead to a larger number of northern men attending the top schools in the south and not being courted by the traditional "old row" fraternities, to use the term here. We have also had some success approaching locals who have split from their nationals over some of the recent changes coming from national organizations(dry house, abolition of pledging, etc.). Our effort at W&L was not successful, but we have recently come on to Duke, working on a group at Vandy, and starting recruitment at Chapel Hill in the spring.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, as much as I hate the fact that northerners are coming to southern universities, you have a point. TKE originally got pretty good numbers at Auburn because of this. They bid a lot of people, and quickly got their numbers up. However, they catered to the non-old row types as you referred to, and thus have a poor reputation among greeks.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
how's Theta Chi there then? semi-old row?

New Row.....but still a good house as far as I know. Have huge numbers though from what I understand. Have good parties and are popular with the good sororities.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
Well, as much as I hate the fact that northerners are coming to southern universities, you have a point. TKE originally got pretty good numbers at Auburn because of this. They bid a lot of people, and quickly got their numbers up. However, they catered to the non-old row types as you referred to, and thus have a poor reputation among greeks.

I am totally wonder still about the OLD Geeks and the Newer Greeks?

There is one life on Campus, Greeks.

Fight each other and see who loses. Da, We do. I may be wrong, but just stay tuned.

For all who feel they are immune to getting taken off of campus, just keep it up and see.

Alums may give a lot of money, but if they are embaresed with the Chapter, I am sure they would not mind cleaning house from the scum or dirt bags who defile Their/Your Fraterity.

It seems that some do not get out of thier littl campus and chapter area to see what is out in the big bad world of real life.

Self importance at times is underwhelming.

I would much rather be a live member of My Chapter looking from the inside out compared to those who have no chapter looking from the outside in.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-05-2006, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
We have been attracting the same suburban nyc/penn/dc/boston prep boy/lacrosse playing types we do at most chapters, with a good number of their southern brethren. We know our market, and we do alright in it. We do not equate size with quality. It may take a while, but we will be a repected chapter at any campus we colonize. As more and more fraternities push tougher regulations(look at Kappa Sig at Ole Miss, Phi Delt at Sewanee and Virginia), you may see more and more old line chapters re-evaluate their relationship with their nationals. When they do, Alpha Delt will be there
PS Hey, Shinerbock, thanks for reminding me of my many visits to Austin every time I read your name
Old 12-05-2006, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty unfamiliar with Alpha Delt, so I can't really comment.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Banned

Why I Went to School Up North

The crap on this thread is why I decided to attend a private university in the north rather than my SEC school. You people are just terrible.