GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,197
2 members and 1,195 guests
No Members online

Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush at Mississippi State

Alright so I'm going to be starting my freshman year at Mississippi State soon and I want to pledge but I'm coming from New Jersey and I see that practically all the brothers are from Mississippi or neighboring states and so far I've seen none from any northern states. Am I going to have a hard time getting a bid? Do you think I'm going to find it more difficult to find a home in a frat?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity.

edit: There's a kid from Jersey in Phi Delt here, but Miss St. is another animal.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 06-23-2008, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

You can rush but they are going to look down upon northerners there. Read my rush mistakes thread and you should learn a lot.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless you come across as a southerner who for some reason was stuck up north, yeah, cracking the good houses is going to be tough. State goes beyond being a "southern" campus, it's a redneck school.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
State goes beyond being a "southern" campus, it's a redneck school.
This is my new signature!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Believe it or not, at my fraternity's convention, I actually met a bunch of decent kids from Ms. State. I am from a northeastern chapter and they were very cool and somewhat curious as to how things went up north.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichat View Post
Believe it or not, at my fraternity's convention, I actually met a bunch of decent kids from Ms. State. I am from a northeastern chapter and they were very cool and somewhat curious as to how things went up north.
Well you have to be cordial at national gatherings.

by the way nate, i downloaded that Better than Ezra song.. I had never heard it before...pretty good stuff. I like the fact that he goes "Sarah was a Kappa from Tulane"... I think that's pretty southern...to say she's a "XYZ" from a certain college instead of saying what major or anything else about her.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post

by the way nate, i downloaded that Better than Ezra song.. I had never heard it before...pretty good stuff. I like the fact that he goes "Sarah was a Kappa from Tulane"... I think that's pretty southern...to say she's a "XYZ" from a certain college instead of saying what major or anything else about her.
Kevin Griffin has written a few Southern songs -- Southern Girl, A Southern Thing, and King Of New Orleans -- He has been through a lot too, and really writes his songs based off his experiences --pledging a fraternity, his friend committing suicide and just the way he grew up.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Well you have to be cordial at national gatherings.
Oh, absolutely. They were more then cordial though, we went out with them one night and got absolutely belligerant, very cool down to earth guys. Then again we were very different then other northern chapters represented that week. We spent our whole trip with the southern guys because some of the northern chapters were a straight up embarassment, with one or two exceptions.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichat View Post
Oh, absolutely. They were more then cordial though, we went out with them one night and got absolutely belligerant, very cool down to earth guys. Then again we were very different then other northern chapters represented that week. We spent our whole trip with the southern guys because some of the northern chapters were a straight up embarassment, with one or two exceptions.
You've seen the light, son
Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
You've seen the light, son
It's how I feel when I go to the nationals gatherings.

The SEC schools are usually the only ones worthwhile to hang out with though there are always exceptions.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a student at Mississippi State and a member of ATO. First, yes the south is its own place that is for sure. But don't knock the school until you know a little bit about it. There are a bunch of northern people in fraternities and sororities here. We don't look down upon you just because your from the north, that is for sure. There are rednecks everywhere you go. My family has a house in Michigan and there are the same kind of rednecks there that there are here at MSU.

In response to Brendan; the ATO house has its doors open and would like to invite you over as soon as you move in on the 9th. My name is Joel and if you are interested in more info about ATO and greek life here at state I would be happy to help. Please let me know if you need anything at all Brendan.

Joel Verdon
ATO Epsilon Epsilon
Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverd_ATO View Post
I am a student at Mississippi State and a member of ATO. First, yes the south is its own place that is for sure. But don't knock the school until you know a little bit about it. There are a bunch of northern people in fraternities and sororities here. We don't look down upon you just because your from the north, that is for sure. There are rednecks everywhere you go. My family has a house in Michigan and there are the same kind of rednecks there that there are here at MSU.

In response to Brendan; the ATO house has its doors open and would like to invite you over as soon as you move in on the 9th. My name is Joel and if you are interested in more info about ATO and greek life here at state I would be happy to help. Please let me know if you need anything at all Brendan.

Joel Verdon
ATO Epsilon Epsilon
What is the deal with douche bag chapters recruiting on GreekChat!??

Old 06-25-2008, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't realize MSU even had that many guys from anywhere but MS, but you have to be careful with rushing at State, a lot of my high school friends went there and state does not have that many strong chapters, it's like the big 2 and everybody else... or at least that's the way it's represented at Ole Miss.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissSoph11 View Post
I didn't realize MSU even had that many guys from anywhere but MS, but you have to be careful with rushing at State, a lot of my high school friends went there and state does not have that many strong chapters, it's like the big 2 and everybody else... or at least that's the way it's represented at Ole Miss.
I think its just that ATO chapter, cause if you go look at the ATO guys website, it'll tell all.