GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,331
0 members and 1,331 guests
No Members online

Old 04-01-2008, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

ebay items

I'm not sure of the best way to notify any interested Thetas of "hidden" items on eBay, but I thought someone might be interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190211215308

:-)
Old 04-01-2008, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, kappa2!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

So frustrating not to have better pictures of the crest on the items. They look interesting.... thanks for the head's up!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Not much time left on this one, and it is up to $467.

Badge with opals: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29

kaokite... is this one that would interest you?
Old 04-05-2008, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW!! That is a beautiful pin! Would love to know if there is any history or information on the pin's age....
Old 04-05-2008, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay, kaokite won it!

The badge is gorgeous. kaokite, if you know/learn any history of that badge, please share. I never knew opals were ever an option.... what a unique piece of jewelry to have in your collection.

Enjoy!
Old 04-05-2008, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
WOW!! That is a beautiful pin! Would love to know if there is any history or information on the pin's age....
Sorry to crash, but that is one fantastic pin! The sister who had it originally must have been a special girl to have diamonds and opals!
Old 04-13-2008, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi ladies,

so a) i got the opals/diamonds badge on Thursday. it is MOST FANTASTIC. Unfortunately someone polished the engraving off the back, so there is zero information about where it came from. I am going to write the seller, but typically they have little to zero info. It has had some work done in the past-I think the pin & catch are replacements, so this could be older than it appears. I would guesstimate it as 1901-1910. I originally had thought I had a 'twin' for this one in pearls dated 1907, but turns out they are totally different..

b) Unlike other NPC groups, we have no restriction on gemstones you can get on your badge. the trick is if the jeweler actually has the stones to put in!! A few years ago I had a badge with no pin or catch (someone had cut them off to use it as a charm). I had the jeweler solder them back on, but when you hot solder gold, it burns the pearls.. So I got to replace them.. Burr Patt had some amethysts, so i had a purple badge. It was BEAUTIFUL. I ended up selling it to a collegian from Beta Gamma ~3 years later as she was badge-less and I have just a few too many.. Our current jeweler stocks red/blue/green/pink/turquoise stones, but i bet if you call they may have something else. Years ago my husband had a special order badge made for me (not by the fraternity jeweler).. PM me if you want more info..

c) small vs. large crown.. they are actually different physical sizes. there's no difference in how the stones are physically set. the small is 7/8" in length, the large is 1& 1/16", but don't quote me on the larger size-I only know the exact measurement of the small.. The enamel in the middle of the small is VERY small-actually it is smaller than the standard plain badge 'cause the std plain and the small crown are the same size outline, but the plain doesn't have to cram in the stones around the edge. does this make sense? the large crown uses the enamel from the plain badge and then adds the stones around the edge.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-16-2008, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Junky items on ebay...

Hi ladies,

so there's a number of pieces of jewelry that have shown up on ebay lately with the theta coat-of-arms on them from the same seller. If you read the fine print in the listing, you realize they aren't even silver.. they are silver colored metal (probably chromed or nickle-plated base metal) that someone has stuck a COA on..

About 6 months ago, there were a number of "new old stock" COA pieces sold, and I suspect that these loose COA's were used to create the vintage looking items..

the last one went for over $200. IMHO that buyer got totally ripped!

Beware. Read all the fine print and don't get seduced by the photos. This is how I ended up purchasing a 'mini recognition pin' about 9 years ago when I was just starting on ebay.. I failed to read the listing and only looked at the photos, which conveniently did not include anything next to the pin so I could judge the size.. I was kind of peeved when it showed up in the mail, but it was my fault for not doing the due-diligence on the listing.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Katie-

THANK YOU so much for the head's up!! I would probably have gotten interested in that auction!

I also bought a teeny tiny little pin that looks like an old badge several years ago... had no idea it was not a badge when I bought it! Live & learn....
Old 08-12-2008, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

So the pledge pin in question is older (the current ones have a one piece pin & catch attached in the center of thel square vs separate like this ). To clarify, I'm meaning 1990s or earlier, not 'older'=1920's.

All pledge pins are gold w/the black enamel inset into the black square, though i think these days the 'enamel' is more like a black paint or some kind of black epoxy. this one looks a little defective in that the enamel is not flat w/the surface of the pin-I'm wondering if that is just a camera artifact?

re: sale price....realistically this is a VERY high price for a pledge pin (the cost to a chapter is ~$12 or so), but not the highest they've sold for in the last year.. Most collectors already have one-i think it's just thetas doing the bidding. Certain members are very passionate about seeing Theta stuff on ebay, and just keep bidding regardless of the cost.

Last edited by kaokite; 08-12-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey all,

Just wanted to post a reminder about ebay. As a bidder you should make sure to follow the 'buyer beware' principle. When bidding on any item (esp jewelry), read the description very carefully. if it does not say "old"/"antique"/"vintage", it is NEW. If it does not say "10K" or "14K" or "sterling" it is base metal or plate. Do not get distracted by lots of other text in the listing. The description of the item is critical!

There are a number of un-ethical sellers right now trying to pass of goods they have manufactured or 'married' together. If you see glue residue around edges/corners, or if you see different shades of metal, be suspicious!

I hate to see Thetas spending money on something that will dissapoint you once it comes out of the mailing envelope.

-K
Old 01-01-2009, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for the warning!! It can be hard to evaluate items from pictures, especially for amateurs like me!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

So, I am still crying over losing this auction last night. I was able to submit what I thought would be a really competitive bid (told husband to make it my birthday and/or Christmas gift) and had been looking forward to placing that bid all week. However, seconds after placing my bid, the winning bid of $1325 was placed, and that was more than I could justify spending.

The badge is from 1944, has opals, and is larger than our standard badge. The "points" on the badge are also slight variations. I am not sure when they stopped putting opals in the badge, but I suspect is was long, long ago.

Kaokite, please tell me that you were the high bidder? Even if you weren't the winner, can you at least provide any inisights that you have on this badge? It is just gorgeous, and I had so hoped to wear it to Founders Day and convention next year. Instead I now hope that you or another Theta get to proudly wear it. While I am glad that it wasn't melted, thrown away, etc, I am sad to think that it will just be displayed in a box with other random Greek badges and not actually worn by someone.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

That badge is stunning. I'm sorry you weren't able to win it. I can't believe it went for $1325!