Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,367
2 members and 1,365 guests
shadokat, Xidelt

Old 05-02-2006, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tashalynsdt
Talking Questions

Hey. I just got this Greekchat thing today. Im going crazy on it. I am the Pres of the URI chapter and Im sorta new. We have a HUGE problem with our new girls, Spring 06 girls not coming to ANYTHING, i mean ANYTHING. meetings, events, greek week (best time ever) and anything else, any suggestions on how you let the new girls or the slacking girls back on track? Thanks I can use the help. Also if you have any pledging ideas. We dont haze here at all but last semester we let the girls in before we wanted to due to Panhel mandating they be in my Greek week and they are not at all ready to be sisters, so we want to make sure this doenst happen again. Thanks all the advice will be really helpful! Good Luck on Finals everyone!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
Do you have a point system and a standards board and all of that fun stuff? Our chapter assigns a certain amount of points to each activity, and you have to get something like 80% of points to go to formal. I don't recommend fining except for not showing up for recruitment, but I know some sororities on our campus use that a lot. Also, the new members who had the lowest amount of points had to fill any vacancies in our new house for next year.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Reply to points...question too

Yea we have points but they only help for singles in the house. therefore juniors moving out the year after or new girls that dont stand a chance of getting a single sophomore year dont bother to try. I am thinking about setting up a massive rewards system like go to every sisters meeting in 2 months n get a free social and then go all semster n get money of formal. does anyone do this now and have suggestions or have experiance with it. if so i could use the help. Thanks!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
*waves hi*

Welcome to GC! I'm an alum that is up @ JWU in Providence right now for school (one more year to go).

How big is your chapter?

A point system where you get a certain # of points for showing up to things, and you need to have a min, amount of points to attend socials, formal, etc might help as logn as you enforce this.

For meetings, I have also heard of doing something like "Sister of the Week", which might help. Also, how about getting cheap, $5 gift cards to a restraunt/etc and taping it before the meeting under a random seat? Or the same idea, but with $10 off of dues, if you can afford that as a chapter. Or making little "goodie bags" with a pen/little notepad and some candy?

What is your new member program like right now? How long is it? When I was NME, we got our girls in within the six weeks that we had from national, and they knew what they needed to know. If you want, I can see if I have the week by week break down for you, or go ahead and re-create it.

I strongly disagree wtih fines, just because most college students are broke as it is4. If you do to choose to fine though, make thef ines reasonable amount, and not something that you know that the sisters won't be able to pay.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 05-07-2006, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks

I am definitly going to try the under the seat idea and we have a minimum amoutn of points for socials and stuff starting in the fall. Hopefully it works. Our girls pledged 6 weeks and with the right schedule but we had to have them in by Greek Week according to Panhel and then apparently every other house go out of it, some girls were just initiated in the beginning of May. The semester was too short with too many breaks to have 6 weeks do anything, it included spring break! Hopefully in the fall with a normal semester, and a new pledge mom, they should get it more. thanks for the help! keep the ideas coming!
Old 05-08-2006, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by tashalynsdt
I am definitly going to try the under the seat idea and we have a minimum amoutn of points for socials and stuff starting in the fall. Hopefully it works. Our girls pledged 6 weeks and with the right schedule but we had to have them in by Greek Week according to Panhel and then apparently every other house go out of it, some girls were just initiated in the beginning of May. The semester was too short with too many breaks to have 6 weeks do anything, it included spring break! Hopefully in the fall with a normal semester, and a new pledge mom, they should get it more. thanks for the help! keep the ideas coming!
I think it has to be brought up at Panhel that Spring Break shouldn't count. We never counted any of that stuff. It's not fair to ocutn a week when no one is around.

I was pledge mom for two semsters, and I helped out greatly the other two that I was active wtih stuff. so if you need any help with that stuff, I can help you.

Patriae Multae Spes Una