Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,126
1 members and 1,125 guests
No Members online

Old 04-10-2006, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Undergrad experience. . how important??

Hey Everyone,

Exactly how important is the undergraduate experience? From what I understand, it is through the undergrad experience that people usually develop true fraternal bonds and foster unrelenting love for their organization. That being said, I know a few people who are considering two orgnizations and their situation is sorta unique. They could either pledge their #1 choice for graduate chapter, or they could pledge their close 2nd choice undergrad. Given that both choices are pretty close, would it be better to have the undergrad experience with #2, or wait to do #1 during grad chapter?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Undergrad experience. . how important??

Quote:
Originally posted by triplej_38118
Hey Everyone,

Exactly how important is the undergraduate experience? From what I understand, it is through the undergrad experience that people usually develop true fraternal bonds and foster unrelenting love for their organization. That being said, I know a few people who are considering two orgnizations and their situation is sorta unique. They could either pledge their #1 choice for graduate chapter, or they could pledge their close 2nd choice undergrad. Given that both choices are pretty close, would it be better to have the undergrad experience with #2, or wait to do #1 during grad chapter?
They shouldn't do either if they are that up in the air about their choice of membership.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Undergrad experience. . how important??

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
They shouldn't do either if they are that up in the air about their choice of membership.
I thought the same thing...

There should be no such thing as #2....
Old 04-11-2006, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

#2? WTH?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, from the posts its seems that a good number of people believe that there is no such thing as a "#2" choice.

Keep in mind that THE organization that these individuals want to pledge is not an undergrad consideration. It is only available for grad.

However, it is difficult when you hear Greeks say that they would miss a lot if they went Grad. For some people who were seeking their ideal of a fool Greek experience, comments like these from undergrad and grad greeks might make some hesitant to "miss out" on the undergrad experience when they could potentially have that with another organization (especially if they had ever considered it while doing their research).

That being said, how important has the undergrad experience been in shaping your perception of your organization? And for those who eventually joined Grad chapter after undergrad, how has that perception changed?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Well, from the posts its seems that a good number of people believe that there is no such thing as a "#2" choice.

Keep in mind that THE organization that these individuals want to pledge is not an undergrad consideration. It is only available for grad.

However, it is difficult when you hear Greeks say that they would miss a lot if they went Grad. For some people who were seeking their ideal of a fool Greek experience, comments like these from undergrad and grad greeks might make some hesitant to "miss out" on the undergrad experience when they could potentially have that with another organization (especially if they had ever considered it while doing their research).

That being said, how important has the undergrad experience been in shaping your perception of your organization? And for those who eventually joined Grad chapter after undergrad, how has that perception changed?
Why are you concerned about "perceptions"?

Are you an interest? Your time would be better spent trying to get invited to membership, instead of trying to decide between grad and undergrad.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

First of all, kill the speaking in hypotheticals. Your other thread shows that you are speaking for yourself. So quit with the pretending that you are talking about anyone other than yourself. You look silly.

I was unable to go undergrad for a number of reasons. At the time, I felt like I was missing out on something, but my desire to become a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha didn't wane. I loved the ORGANIZATION, not the local chapter, not all of the undergrad hype. That is what it seems that you are caught up in. Now that I've gone grad, I know that it was the best thing for me. AKA came into my life at the perfect time. I wouldn't trade my line sisters or my experiences thus far for anything. If I could go back and go undergrad I wouldn't, just because I love my line sisters and my chapter that much. I think that the undergrad experience would've been much DIFFERENT, but not necessarily BETTER. Either way, being unable (for whatever reasons) to pledge undergrad should not be a determining factor in which organization you decide to pursue. You, my friend, are worried about the WRONG thing. Get it together.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SKEEphistAKAte
First of all, kill the speaking in hypotheticals. Your other thread shows that you are speaking for yourself. So quit with the pretending that you are talking about anyone other than yourself. You look silly.

I was unable to go undergrad for a number of reasons. At the time, I felt like I was missing out on something, but my desire to become a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha didn't wane. I loved the ORGANIZATION, not the local chapter, not all of the undergrad hype. That is what it seems that you are caught up in. Now that I've gone grad, I know that it was the best thing for me. AKA came into my life at the perfect time. I wouldn't trade my line sisters or my experiences thus far for anything. If I could go back and go undergrad I wouldn't, just because I love my line sisters and my chapter that much. I think that the undergrad experience would've been much DIFFERENT, but not necessarily BETTER. Either way, being unable (for whatever reasons) to pledge undergrad should not be a determining factor in which organization you decide to pursue. You, my friend, are worried about the WRONG thing. Get it together.
Thank you SKEEphistAKAte for your response. This was the type of information I was looking for in the first place. And, although I make look silly, I do know a few people in the situation who are currently dealing with these issues. Going to a small, predominantly white, liberal arts institution with little exposure to black greek life, students are generally more exposed to the myths about black greek life than the facts. Oddly enough, once many people come to my institution they have to deal with the issue of attempting to joing their first love elsewhere, or justifying joining another organization because "its okay." The choices are not readily available at the same time, so it makes the decision difficult for some. And black students at my institution are somewhat hesitant to ask these types of questions, because its difficult to find someone who will give an objective, understanding answer instead of "Why would you ever think that!?" I've posted this question because I've talked to way too many people about the issue and figured that since this forum is populated by black greeks, it would help shed insight into this question. Believe me, the information I gather from here, especially your most recent response, will be shared with at least 5 folks trying to manipulate black greek system that is not always tangibly visible to us.

I'm very new to this forum, so I don't really know what looks "silly." I have already posted a question which applies particularly applies to my personal current situation and have and hope to continue to receive great advise from those who have seen the whole picture. But this question is indeed for others, so that is why it was posted in this manner

Thank you once again for your honesty and your insightful response,
triplej
Old 04-12-2006, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to btb87 Send a message via Yahoo to btb87
Quote:

Very well said, Soror - but I would expect nothing less!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Why is this in the Alpha Phi Alpha Forum?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ARTIC-U-LATE
Why is this in the Alpha Phi Alpha Forum?
LOL, Alpha is either #1 or #2. Shame.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Quote:

^^5, Soror and also speaks of my experience.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GHOST_WOLF Send a message via Yahoo to GHOST_WOLF
Quote:

Very well said..
Old 04-24-2006, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Speak on it Soror!

Perhaps you should be taking some time to evaluate why you want to become a member of any fraternity. There is so much more at stake than strolling and being seen on the yard so to speak. There is work to be done! So why bother joining if #1 if you have interest in #2 and vice versa. Save yourself the time and trouble and join a club. Maybe time and maturity will help you along the way.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GHOST_WOLF Send a message via Yahoo to GHOST_WOLF
And more importantly you might want to evaluate if you are ready for either as well as "What am I going to do once I get my letters?" Please believe me when I say that "crossing" is only the beginning!