Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,511
0 members and 1,511 guests
No Members online

Old 06-05-2005, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Hotel Rwanda/Genocide in Africa & Worldwide

I finished watching "Hotel Rwanda" on DVD not too long ago. That was a powerful story. If you have not seen it yet, please do so.

http://www.hotelrwanda.com/

What can we as concerned members of the human race do to prevent more genocide in Africa and in other places around the world?

Civil unrest is something that we have not faced in recent generations and even when it took place here in the US (Civil Rights Movement), many Americans attempted to downplay it. It is, however, commonplace in places like Africa, the Middle East, South America, and parts of Asia (places where "third world countries" mainly exist).

We (westernized countries like US, Canada, Britain, France, Belgium, Sweden, etc...) have been blessed to rarely experience the humanitarian atrocities that take place around the world. However, many of our countries have played a part in creating the environment for the uprisings in these places (ie: colonization and promises of aid in response to giving allegiance to our countries). When will our governments admit to their partial (or large) responsibility in creating these conditions?

The US cannot be charged as the 1st and only country (many times this has been the case) to send troops and aid into many of these war-torn countries. The UN must become more of a peacemaking entity.

I could go on for days about what people/tactics I feel were the catalysts for these conditions, but instead I wish to pose these questions and get your thoughts. Also, I hope that discussing these issues will help make a difference (each one teach one).

Let's do something!

wait a minute? This IS my signature.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedMusiq4U Send a message via Yahoo to RedMusiq4U
Hotel Rwanda!

I watched Hotel Rwanda about a month or so ago and it was the most heart-renching movie I'd ever seen. I wanted to jump through the movie screen and start something that's how upset I was.....it's just sad. What makes it worse is that it was a true story and was pretty much shielded from the rest of the world. To see all those people killed for apparent reason....makes you wonder is something like that would happen here in America! it's a possibility. There's also another version of this same story called Sometimes In April it's shown on HBO....this version is more graphic and is told from a different point of view. I was felt the same for this movie as I did the other one. I wonder....why didn't we come to their rescue?........why did they try and shield this massacre from the world? Those are some of the unanswered questions that stick out in my mind.
This story some what parallels situations here in the US, not to that magnitude but.....let me just put it out there....... We as Black people/ African Americanhate on each other. We discriminate against another Black person just b/c of the color of their skin, we don't support Black owned businesses....and let's not go there w/ the "good hair" issue...let me calm down a bit I felt myself going there. We have got to help each other out from Africa to America, so instead of putting down someone ask yourself.....self..... if I were in that persons shoes would I want someone else to put me down? Not only does this apply to Black America but to all races.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
If your interested in more of the political maneuvering leading up to and during the Rwanda Genocide try looking into the movie or book Shake Hands with the Devil which is more from the viewpoint of Gen. Romeo Dellaire (Notle's UN Colonel character is based on him) - I'll warn you though it might piss you off even more... I know I still get pissed 10 years after the fact still that more wasn't done, and that even what little was done was hampered by certain countries actions in the UN security council.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 06-07-2005, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RACooper
If your interested in more of the political maneuvering leading up to and during the Rwanda Genocide try looking into the movie or book Shake Hands with the Devil which is more from the viewpoint of Gen. Romeo Dellaire (Notle's UN Colonel character is based on him) - I'll warn you though it might piss you off even more... I know I still get pissed 10 years after the fact still that more wasn't done, and that even what little was done was hampered by certain countries actions in the UN security council.
Thank you. I will look into that.

wait a minute? This IS my signature.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I haven't seen Hotel in Rwanda but a couple months ago I watched Sometimes In April. The movie was heart wrenching and I began to shed a tear. Its a shame what went on over there and the U.S. did nothing to intervene, however the only reason they intervened in Iraq because they have "interests" over there yet we are so gung ho on morals and the right to human life

I knew that this had happened but did not know in detail and it all occurred during Clinton's term in office which made me lose even more respect for him..yet he is supposed to be the "closest thing to a black president" ha!!
Old 06-19-2005, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DC_Zeta1920
I knew that this had happened but did not know in detail and it all occurred during Clinton's term in office which made me lose even more respect for him..yet he is supposed to be the "closest thing to a black president" ha!!
I didn't realize that either................I'm @ a loss for words.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Right where I want to start Fresh and move futher from...
Send a message via Yahoo to Pearls4Life
Great Movie

That movie was a tear Jerker... I pray that god will help the children and women in these countries to one day be free from hatred.

"Success is by "DESIlRE" !!!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

The Alpha Beta Chapter of Iota Phi Theta (SIU Edwardsville) had Francis Bok a former sudanese slave come to the campus and share with us his experiences of living in the turmoil for his entire life. Bok has also met with President Bush and other world leaders. It was enlightening discussion and something really needs to be done fast.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Reminds me of this editorial cartoon I saw earlier this year.

Old 07-18-2005, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
Reminds me of this editorial cartoon I saw earlier this year.

Wow it's a shame.......such a powerful illustration!....where did you find it.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I too saw Hotel Rawanda and was amazed how one man was able to save the lives of others I would recommend reading African magazine to see that their other films about that experience. It is just another tactic that the oppressor uses to divide and conquer us according to skin color -via the house and field slaves you get my drift We should also be concerned about the starving Africans in Niger and should keep abreast of news in Africa - a great website is allafrica.com a lot of what goes on over there is not even covered here in the United States

Last edited by Lady of Pearl; 08-01-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I watched it on video last night. It was very powerful. The "extra" stuff on the DVD is worth watching too - it provides more information on what happened, and there's interviews with the real-life "Paul" who now lives in Belgium.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Hotel Rwanda/Genocide in Africa & Worldwide

i think i am more surprised that so many of us were not familiar with this situation.

im not sure what can be done since it seems to be a vicious cycle. im not sure if i want to do anything. not because i dont care. its just seems that something drastic needs to happen before it gets better. i also feel that i want my time/energy spent on domestic issues and the most i would be willing to do would be to give money to a group to support a tangible system of change.

Quote:
Originally posted by suntzu1963
I finished watching "Hotel Rwanda" on DVD not too long ago. That was a powerful story. If you have not seen it yet, please do so.

http://www.hotelrwanda.com/

What can we as concerned members of the human race do to prevent more genocide in Africa and in other places around the world?

Civil unrest is something that we have not faced in recent generations and even when it took place here in the US (Civil Rights Movement), many Americans attempted to downplay it. It is, however, commonplace in places like Africa, the Middle East, South America, and parts of Asia (places where "third world countries" mainly exist).

We (westernized countries like US, Canada, Britain, France, Belgium, Sweden, etc...) have been blessed to rarely experience the humanitarian atrocities that take place around the world. However, many of our countries have played a part in creating the environment for the uprisings in these places (ie: colonization and promises of aid in response to giving allegiance to our countries). When will our governments admit to their partial (or large) responsibility in creating these conditions?

The US cannot be charged as the 1st and only country (many times this has been the case) to send troops and aid into many of these war-torn countries. The UN must become more of a peacemaking entity.

I could go on for days about what people/tactics I feel were the catalysts for these conditions, but instead I wish to pose these questions and get your thoughts. Also, I hope that discussing these issues will help make a difference (each one teach one).

Let's do something!
Old 11-05-2005, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by _Q_
I watched it on video last night. It was very powerful. The "extra" stuff on the DVD is worth watching too - it provides more information on what happened, and there's interviews with the real-life "Paul" who now lives in Belgium.
Again I'd encourage you to read Romeo Delaire's book - or commentaries on his actions... his frustration and anger - followed by despair is a tale in it's self - also that fact that he has been willing to accept more blame on his shoulders than is due...

Oh - Nolte's character in the movie is loosely based on Delaire.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"