Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,121
0 members and 1,121 guests
No Members online

Old 02-28-2005, 04:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Founders Circle Awards

Hey guys,

I was reading the Awards Application package, and noticed that one of the requirements for a Founders Circle award is having 3 pledge classes.

At our school that would mean either having 2 pledge classes with a one-month overlap on the 60-Day program, or attempting to run a pledge program right through exam period. Or I guess a pledge class in the summer when no one is here... You get the idea. As it is right now we barely initiate before exams start 60 days from the end of IFC rush... every other fraternity on campus initiates after Christmas. (10 of them). I have come around to 60-Day, but I think this is ridiculous...

Our school is Canadian, so a bit unusual in academic calendar, but I cant imagine there arent some US schools with similar calendars... How are we supposed to be at the "top of the Kappa Sigma game" when the SEC and Awards Commissions set out goals that are virtually impossible???

I dont think this is very fair, and wondering if there would be an exception to this for my chapter, or what??

Brother Dickson, maybe you could shed some light??

AEKDB
Mike
Old 03-04-2005, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Founders Circle Awards

Quote:
Originally posted by ksigcanuck
Hey guys,

I was reading the Awards Application package, and noticed that one of the requirements for a Founders Circle award is having 3 pledge classes.

At our school that would mean either having 2 pledge classes with a one-month overlap on the 60-Day program, or attempting to run a pledge program right through exam period. Or I guess a pledge class in the summer when no one is here... You get the idea. As it is right now we barely initiate before exams start 60 days from the end of IFC rush... every other fraternity on campus initiates after Christmas. (10 of them). I have come around to 60-Day, but I think this is ridiculous...

Our school is Canadian, so a bit unusual in academic calendar, but I cant imagine there arent some US schools with similar calendars... How are we supposed to be at the "top of the Kappa Sigma game" when the SEC and Awards Commissions set out goals that are virtually impossible???

I dont think this is very fair, and wondering if there would be an exception to this for my chapter, or what??

Brother Dickson, maybe you could shed some light??

AEKDB
Mike
I'd imagine that your DGM or AA would be able to help you out with your concerns. I was unaware of the new requirements, but here's my take.

It was recommended to us a few years ago to go with multiple pledge classes (i.e. more than 2). From my understanding it would work like rolling admissions; rush would be flexible enough so that you'd be taking new members more than twice a year. We've always heard that rush is 365 days a year; this would be taking it to more of a literal level.

As far as the logistics, again that would be something that may be easier to work out with your DGM or AA. They would be more familiar with your school's specific situation and be more capable of helping.

I had no idea that the requirements had changed; have any of the other requirements changed as far as Founder's Circle (or FACE, for that matter)?

AEKDB
Collin
Old 03-04-2005, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Check it out..

Yes, other requirements have changed...

YOu can see the awards application in Brother Services on www.kappasigma.org

Mike
Old 03-04-2005, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Check it out..

Quote:
Originally posted by ksigcanuck
Yes, other requirements have changed...

YOu can see the awards application in Brother Services on www.kappasigma.org

Mike
You weren't kidding...quite a few changes from the last time I looked over the manual.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Yea,

even from last year there have been some major changes...

I thought the criteria in last year's award package was far more fair... but oh well I guess.

AEKDB
Mike