GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,153
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,331
1 members and 1,330 guests
John

Old 04-07-2004, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Any Interior-Decorating Savvy Folks Out There??

My bathroom in our new house is BORING, BORING, BORING!!! I really don't want to have to pay someone to decorate it for me (it's a BATHROOM, for goodness sake) but I have zero creativity when it comes to this sort of thing so I could really use some advice!

The room itself has plain white walls, white trim, white vanity, white soaking tub, white built-in linen storage and white potty. The fixtures are silver with gold accents and the floor, the shower enclosure and the surround for the soaking tub are light gray, beige and white (like a swirly pattern) slate tiles.

I need some color; any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Banned

Buy a duvet cover...it'll spruce everything up.

-Rudey
Old 04-07-2004, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like my parent's bathroom. They sponge painted the walls gold (their fixtured are all gold). It looks pretty good, took minimal time, and is easy to paint over when you want a new look. You could sponge paint a variety of colors to match your tile, or just stick with one main color. Oh, they used a sea sponge to paint, not a traditional yellow scrubbing sponge. The effect is wonderful. Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

I'm all about white bathrooms! Why? Because you can change the entire look with different combinations of towels & rugs!

Right now, mine has soft pink & light taupe towels, rugs, and border - a feminine look. It's also had deep pink (funky), blue diamonds ( ), and holiday incarnations!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
I got those "wallies" or wall paper pieces at a craft store. Trading Spaces has their own line of them and they stick to everything. I got some really bright green and pink ones because it matches a shower curtain I got. But they have some muted ones with flowers or animal print or whatever. You can buy borders, or just shapes. But they can go on ceramics, which is what I did for the toothbrush holder and whatnot.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Buy a duvet cover...it'll spruce everything up.

-Rudey

Yeah, but then I'd be getting into duvet clips and dust ruffles and all that and I just don't want to go there.

Honeychile, I agree that an all white bathroom can be a good thing. But my bathroom is the size of a small bedroom and all that white is just too sterile and BLINDING!
Old 12-26-2009, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm bumping and re-purposing this thread.

I am moving on January 1, 2010 and for all intents and purposes, will be starting from scratch when it comes to furniture. It's neither a small apartment nor a deluxe a-pot-ment in the sky-hi-hi, either. I need LOTS of space for books. I need furniture which has multiple purposes. I have been all over the internet looking for various ideas -- I am not married to any of them so far, but I do have my favorites.

Bedroom A: Nothing special needed in here, but it is pretty spacious and I think I want a chaise in there. I have no clue of the decor I want in that room.

Bedroom B: Will actually be a small home office/library -- but I think it will be spacious enough for either a daybed, small futon, or a chair which turns into a twin bed. I want the room to have purple accents (for creativity - I will be writing there).

Living/Dining room: Want a sofabed, entertainment center, media towers for the many DVDs I have, small, 3-piece dining room set, and a bookcase with glass doors.

Bathroom: It's small. No ideas.

Kitchen: It's sort of open and adjacent to the dining/living area, so I don't think there's anything I can do with it.

So GreekChatters, any ideas? Any photos you'd like to share of your own decorating projects?

I'm a boy, I can't do it alone.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I'm bumping and re-purposing this thread.

I am moving on January 1, 2010 and for all intents and purposes, will be starting from scratch when it comes to furniture. It's neither a small apartment nor a deluxe a-pot-ment in the sky-hi-hi, either. I need LOTS of space for books. I need furniture which has multiple purposes. I have been all over the internet looking for various ideas -- I am not married to any of them so far, but I do have my favorites.
Hey, Sen, while Brookstone's prices are kinda high, you could take the idea and run with it. If you have any friends who are woodworkers, perhaps you could commission them to make similar pieces.

I love my Reader's Night Stands. And I have several of the stackables in my kids' playroom.

I'm no good at decorating, but I'm a pushover when it comes to organizational furniture!
Old 12-26-2009, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

btw, it's an apartment and I am not yet sure whether I can paint the walls or not. I'd like to, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I always use Apartment Therapy and Ikea Hacker when I need some ideas.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Love it. I wish Apartment Therapy's site wasn't so busy though
Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I definitely suggest Ikea. They have so many space saving and multi-purpose pieces, plus the look is minimal/masculine and inexpensive. West Elm also has some great pieces for not too much money.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur de Lis View Post
I definitely suggest Ikea. They have so many space saving and multi-purpose pieces, plus the look is minimal/masculine and inexpensive.
Umm yeah, but they "suggest" that you nail them to the wall so they don't fall over. You're better off going to an estate sale or Salvation Army/Goodwill (in a good neighborhood) and getting real furniture.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

make a list of your likes and dislikes, what colors you would like to use, what styles of furniture you like, your budget, etc. you've already made a start with the ideas you have for your study. just elaborate on that.

there are several national chains that have affordable furniture-ikea, target, rooms to go. they have whole room groupings which would save you time, as long as you don't care if everything is matchy-matchy.

pottery barn is a favorite of mine. they have a line specifically designed for apartments, and they have great delivery/assembly services. they furniture is well made. i have seen bookcases with glass doors in pottery barn.

people make great finds at thrift stores every day. the drawback to that is perusing the thrift stores is time consuming and to furnish an entire apartment from thrift store finds will take a while-no instant gratification. people i know who find the most amazing pieces in thrift stores go frequently.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 12-29-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

some furniture stores and department stores with furniture departments offer free design services if you buy their furniture. this could save you a lot of time. just make sure that they designer is listening to you and is helping you to realize your vision, not bullying you into accepting their idea of what you should have.

ask the apartment management if you can have permission to paint your apartment. assure them that you will repaint in the original color when you move out. maybe that will make a difference to them.

i will be happy to help you in any way i can. good luck and more importantly, have fun!!

Last edited by FSUZeta; 12-29-2009 at 07:54 PM.