Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,540
0 members and 1,540 guests
No Members online

Old 04-09-2003, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ajuhdg
Where are we GROWING!?

I've seen this thread on several other boards, and I was wondering DG's opinion on it!

Where would you like to see DG expand to? We're growing so rapidly, so where do we need to beef up on our representation!?

Just curious!

Adrienne

First my sister, forever my friend!
Old 04-09-2003, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I would really like to see us have a chapter in Cleveland! Either at John Carroll University or Baldwin Wallace College. I would also like to see a chapter at Mount Union College in Alliance.

I know we presented at John Carroll in 2001 but Kappa got the bid instead....but I would love to be able to have another one real close in Ohio
Old 04-09-2003, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I think we need another chapter in Georgia. The one here at UGA is the only one!
Old 04-10-2003, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, definitely more in the south... I'd like to see us come back to Emory, my dad's Alma Mater and hopefully (depending on my LSAT's) eventually mine.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, y'all are right! We need more along the south! NC, SC, Georgia, Alabama! We're really sparsely represented out there!

I don't know where we are colonizing right now. Does anyone else know?

Adrienne

First my sister, forever my friend.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I would LOVE another new chapter in North Carolina. Maybe over at App. State. I also think it'd be neat to colonize in HI. One of my sisters is doing a semester at the University of HI at Hilo and she wishes there was a chapter there...I think it'd be a neat place to expand to.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's another vote for more in the South!!
Old 10-18-2004, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

new chapters

I read online that we just went on at New Mexico State and Lake Forest College, just north of Chicago. The panhellenic has to decide they want to expand and then invite a couple of groups to throw their names in for consideration. The groups can't go and recruit campuses. I think we need more chapters in MN, Iowa, KS, WI, and other midwest state where we have such strong chapters but only one or two in the state. I would guess that our reputation is so good in these places because we have old strong chapters.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

We have been under-represented in the South for years, and there were never really any good reasons for it.

One of the things that held us back, IMO, is that we had a long standing policy of NEVER actively seeking to colonize. We always had to be "asked" as though DG was some fragile little belle waiting for a date to the prom.

We should have been at Vanderbilt 30 years ago, for example.
We did at one time have chapters at Emory AND Georgia State.

Other schools in Georgia like Mercer, with a good number of students from Florida, where we have such a strong presence and great name recognition, would be a nice addition.

Also, we are not at UNC, and we have had our difficulties in South Carolina, where we also should have gone years and years ago.

And in the Midwest - we are not at Kansas State OR Iowa State. Two big state schools. I wonder why not?

Pennsylvania and New York State also have lots of schools where we might take a look.

But I am not in favor of colonizing at every opportunity. I overheard at a Panhellenic meeting remarks between two friends from another GLO, about another group, poking fun at a certain sorority for colonizing at "every place except roadside fruit stands". They do have the largest number of chapters, but I don't think that necessarily adds to our strength or our reputation. I like who we are!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

expansion

I read in our history that in the old days, for us to consider colonizing on a campus it had to have a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa. I think WAY back then that is what "gave the impression" that this was a serious school. Anyway, a lot of the state schools that you mentioned started out as agricultural and mining and didn't have Phi Beta Kappa so we didn't consider them. We certainly would now, if it was a good match.

The whole thing about "having to be asked" is an NPC rule, not DG. NPC has pretty strict rules prohibiting any of the groups from directly contacting a collegiate panhellenic, local sorority or collegians in general.

I've heard that we've turned down invitations to colonize because the university climate was VERY anti-Greek or we felt like the local group would not be a good match for us and would not be able to compete with the established groups. Just like in recruitment, we have to be selective when expanding!

I don't think the location of expansion is as important as the campus being a good match for DG plus lots of alumnae support in the area.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 10-20-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:07 AM
GreekChat Member

You mention a VERY important point: alumnae support! You've gotta have it!

I am also curious why we aren't at the huge schools that AnchorAlum mentioned.

My last question: Why have we lost chapters? We know why our two recent ones have closed, but reading the Summer Anchora decade breakdown showed like SIX charters being pulled in a ten year span. (that may not be correct, just rough estimate!) That seems like a lot to me. I think it's something really important to discuss with alumnae and collegians to avoid repeats...especially when it's something the chapter is doing. Just having a charter does not make you immortal!

aj