GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,115
1 members and 1,114 guests
No Members online

Old 02-08-2001, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Gaspard
Post Hazing is good

I was hazed while pledging. I have alumni come by from the 1940's saying the same thing was done to them. Hazing brings people together by putting them through hardships. Quit your bitching, it's a rite of passage since men's and women's groups have started. A few people being stupid about it throwing people off bridges and dropping off people in the snow without clothes have ruined it for everyone.
Old 02-08-2001, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Mr. Hammel, will you please close this thread?
Old 02-08-2001, 10:33 PM
Unregistered-

Thumbs down

It's people like Gaspard that contribute to the negative stereotypes plaguing the Greeks today. "Putting people through hardships" is ridiculous! Personally, I feel that orgs. like yours, Gaspard, ruin it for everyone. It's the bad apples that usually ruin the reputations of many GLOs that promote brother/sisterhood without the hazing.

Again, as Billy said--this thread needs to be closed!

------------------
*I'm an Alpha Gam...Yes I am, Yes I am!*
Old 02-08-2001, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I do have to say that while I don't agree with the point he's making, it is his opinion that hazing is an acceptable behavior. And as long as he can substaniate his opinion without reducing to lies, name calling, and other ill needed behaviors I don't think we should close the thread simply because we don't agree with his P.O.V.
Why don't we try to educate him and (rationaly and calmly) show him why hazing does not work, and why it never did.
Old 02-09-2001, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I doubt that the person who posted this is even in a glo. It sounds like some kind of anti-greek fanatic that have been known to come here from time to time. I smell a rat. I'm asking again, Please close this thread.
Old 02-09-2001, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I believe that we need to stop closing threads because we don't agree with a point of view (as USFstudent said also).

1. Its a freedom of speech infringement. The man is entitled to his opinion and is not being inflammatory.

2. We should not shut out dissenting view points because it leaves us ignorant of opposing views.

3. On the level that the gentleman is making these statements he is NOT incorrect.
Old 02-09-2001, 03:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Not to get into semantics, but I don't think this is a matter of freedom of speech. This is a private message board. If this were the government coming in and demanding it closed - that would be a violation. And since no one is paying to be here & this being privatly owned - I think (but could be wrong) that anything can get closed down at anytime for any reason.

That being said, I was in a high school sorority and I was hazed horribly. I could never be friendly with the mean girls because I kept thinking about how much fun they had watching me suffer. There is a great rift between hazing and bonding. For instance, we are required to memorize our Symphony. Is that hazing??? No, it didn't cause any emotional hurt or embarrasment. However, we all studied for it together and worked together. We bonded without any of the negative things you are talking about. I vowed that if I was told that I had to do something that I didn't want to, that I would get up and walk out. Well, I am still here!

It is a fact that being Greek IS NOT about abuse. It is not about having power of others. If anyone joined a GLO for that reason, then they should leave the org. and seek therapy! Being Greek is about sister/brotherhood. It is about fraternity (that is the reason we are called a fraternity)! Being Greek is about having a common bond with people that non-Greeks have difficulty understanding - having a mutual respect and a great deal of love for all Greeks, and a very very close bond to the people in your own GLO. I think every Greek here will agree that the bond is unlike anything else. And this bond has nothing to do with hazing.

We go through enough hardships in life without hazing. I don't need sister to create hardships for me - I just need them to be there to get me through those hardships. That is how we bond.

Allie
Old 02-09-2001, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

James, my reson for asking this to be closed was because theese types of threads ususlly turn into just flames.
Old 02-09-2001, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Billy Optimist>> If you don't like the thread you don't have to post on it. It's just that simple. You're starting to sound like a fanatic or someone who has a problem with the greek system. Maybe you were one of those guys who couldn't take the heat from pledging and quit???

Kappa Alpha Psi
Nu Iota Spr. 97
Old 02-09-2001, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Earl:

I am sure you will get plenty of support from that thread. The world is FULL of skaters ....
[This message has been edited by Bobby Earl (edited February 09, 2001).]

...Heard That! Now I will go, before I get to showin' my age
Bobby, as usual, your quick wit has me ROTFL!

Soror6
Old 02-09-2001, 07:58 PM

Pledging is good. Hazing is not good.

They are two different things. Pledging operates on love and respect. Hazing operates on power tripping and fear.

Pledging strengthens an organization. Hazing weakens it.
Old 02-09-2001, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

There's no First Amendment issue here.

Hazing has been outlawed by every National Greek organization I'm aware of.

Hazing is against the law.

Hazing's time has long since past. There is no place for it in the Greek community.

Nobody should put up with it.

As Billy said, this could be some kind of setup.

DeltAlum
Old 02-10-2001, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Personally, my opinion is that this guy is lying because nobody hazed back in the 1940's. In fact the greek system was so out of wack because of the war and stuff, pledging wasn't a required step in joining a fraternity. Hazing is too general of a term to be defined good or bad. Overall it is bad, no one can argue that. Instilling fear and suffering on another individual is not the goal of any fraternity or sorority. Try not to get so fired up and annoyed with these threads so easily guys...

RUgreek
Old 02-10-2001, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Earl:
If you want the thread closed so bad than do this:

1). Don't click on HAZING IS GOOD.
2). Click on NEW TOPIC.
3). Then open a SKATING IS GOOD thread.

I am sure you will get plenty of support from that thread. The world is FULL of skaters ....
LMAO!! BobbyEarl strikes again!! :-D

Old 02-12-2001, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Maguire--
No, I am not anti-Greek. I really don't even consider myself to be anti-hazing. I just didn't want this to full of flames and every body just yelling at each other and calling names, instead of having an intellengent conversation.