GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,096
1 members and 1,095 guests
naraht

Old 06-27-2001, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Any Sorority charters revoked for Hazing

Can anyone point me to an example of a sorority chapter who had their charter pulled for hazing and the circumstances it happened under?

I have generally noticed for Fraternities, the IFC fraternity chapters charters get pulled for Alcohol problems and the NPHC fraternity chapters charters get pulled for physical abuse of pledges.

------------------
Naraht
Alpha Phi Omega Alumni Volunteer
Old 06-28-2001, 10:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I'm willing to bet that most national sororities have chapters who have had trouble with hazing. I think it depends on the degree and such before charters are revoked.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shadokat:
I'm willing to bet that most national sororities have chapters who have had trouble with hazing. I think it depends on the degree and such before charters are revoked.
Perhaps, though I haven't heard of any... That is what I asked. I did have someone contact me by email to point out one that had been discussed here on GC.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by naraht:
Perhaps, though I haven't heard of any... That is what I asked. I did have someone contact me by email to point out one that had been discussed here on GC.
That's interesting. What sorority, if you don't mind me asking? You can e-mail me if you would rather not post it on GC.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzrose93:
That's interesting. What sorority, if you don't mind me asking? You can e-mail me if you would rather not post it on GC.
Since the person who sent it to me thought everyone would know...

Chi Omega @ Sam Houston State U.
Stories in the SHSU newspaper are available at http://www.shsu.edu/~pin_www/ChiOmegaSus.html

------------------
Naraht
Old 06-28-2001, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
the Chi O topic had been discussed in these forums ad nauseum. Please let's not bring it up again.

thank you.
Old 06-28-2001, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Sorry amycat... I didn't mean to open a can of worms there. Looks like the V's are up to their old e-mail tricks again. I apologize for opening the door with my post.

[This message has been edited by dzrose93 (edited June 28, 2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

ARE we back on the V's again? Will some one PLEASE e-m to tell me what it is?
I am old and slow but not stupid!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 06-28-2001, 05:34 PM
Unregistered-

Smile

I agree...the posts regarding that situation were removed from the boards for a reason!
Old 06-28-2001, 05:59 PM

Naraht,

try stophazing.org because I don't think we need to start naming names on here. Also be careful with the generalizations on types of hazing. That's really not too cool.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Responses to a number of different posts here.

1) I'm quite willing to drop the discussion to Chi O @ SHSU.

2) While generalizations can hurt, tendencies can help in dealing with Hazing. For example, the observed tendencies can help with solutions. The tendencies would suggest that GAMMA (Greeks Advocating Mature Management of Alcohol) may be able to make a much larger difference in the NIC fraternities than it would in the NPHC fraternities. Another question that might be asked is when did the divergence in pledging styles come about. Have the NIC fraternities gotten less physical in the last 70 years, have the NPHC fraternities gotten more physical, or was the different there by the time the NPHC was formed. (And does the shorter history of the Iotas make a difference?)

3) I'm not sure what the comment on "V's" means, but I have no association with SHSU, or Chi Omega at all, and the person who did tell me about Chi O @ SHSU would tend to believe the chapter, not the pledge.

------------------
Naraht
Old 07-12-2001, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie:
Please excuse the harsh reactions to this topic, as it has been discussed a lot before.
Like you, I was made aware of the accusations through some wacko email...and I'm a MEMBER of Chi Omega.
It's sad that this is still being spread through the world wide web. I wish there was someway to stop it, but in the meantime most of us have decided to let it slide off our backs and not bother with the [*name removed by Admin*] or their fabricated webpage.
I suggest you do the same. But I appreciate your question and yes...unfortunately hazing in sororities and fraternities does occur every now and then. But I ask you this...what is it then when a coach of a football team, or a military leader drills and belittles a person...isn't that too hazing.
Just something to think about.
Have a good day.
Hootie

I missed that the name of the perosn in question had a name beginning with "V".

As for the military, I give them a lot more leeway as to what is hazing and what is not. Forcing people to stay outside in the rain overnight without sleep may quite reasonably be included in what is required to make one a soldier (sailor,airman), but not to make them a football player or a fraternity/sorority member.

------------------
Naraht

[This message has been edited by John Hammell (edited July 13, 2001).]
Old 07-11-2001, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Whoa nellie, I was not in the military service, but an officer of the Law!
I did not condone hazing and still do not!!!!
Yes the military did get their proverbable in a ringer pounding pins into new members, and tailhook! Remember that you swabies?
The Greek System is under fire from all sides becaus a few morons do stupid things that get people maimed or killed!
I damn near did not go onto Masonic 3 rd because of and incident that happend to me. I almost went after the guy! i was a COP then!
People are afraid of what they do not know and either shy away or bad mouth it.
If you are an APO advisor, well I was and still am a member of APO from NWMO.
If not for the Greek System, the College days would be damn boring. How many homecomings have you been to and if not for the Greeks, what kind of floats would there be? Those floats cost a lot of time and money to build for a few minutes for the spectators to watch. Prize money HA, it does not nearly cover the time and cost. Let some of the GDI's get off their collective butts and do something!
To besmirch the social Greek Organizations does not show me much about you as and individual. Yea once againg, I am a APO. But a LAX first and always!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 07-11-2001, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp:
Whoa nellie, I was not in the military service, but an officer of the Law!
I did not condone hazing and still do not!!!!
Yes the military did get their proverbable in a ringer pounding pins into new members, and tailhook! Remember that you swabies?
The Greek System is under fire from all sides becaus a few morons do stupid things that get people maimed or killed!
I damn near did not go onto Masonic 3 rd because of and incident that happend to me. I almost went after the guy! i was a COP then!
People are afraid of what they do not know and either shy away or bad mouth it.
If you are an APO advisor, well I was and still am a member of APO from NWMO.
If not for the Greek System, the College days would be damn boring. How many homecomings have you been to and if not for the Greeks, what kind of floats would there be? Those floats cost a lot of time and money to build for a few minutes for the spectators to watch. Prize money HA, it does not nearly cover the time and cost. Let some of the GDI's get off their collective butts and do something!
To besmirch the social Greek Organizations does not show me much about you as and individual. Yea once againg, I am a APO. But a LAX first and always!

I agree that Hazing is still quite possible in the military. Pin pounding is definately hazing. However, some things that are hazing from pure physical stress are within the purview of military training.

I honestly think the National Officers in all of the GLOs do "get it" and as such, some of the battle against hazing has been won, but its still the few morons. Though the single-gender GLOs at Dartmouth could have been completely clean and they still mighthave had trouble.

I'm on staff in the DC area (section 84) and have been for about 10 years. My undergrad chapter at Carnegie-Mellon didn't had floats, but the Booths for spring carnival were amazing. (probably more complex than a float.)

Even though I did not join a social fraternity at CMU, the school would have been much less fun without them. BTW, at CMU, the campus cops and the school newspaper were both pretty pro-greek. However there were 3 or 4 groups that competed head to head against the greeks for anything that wasn't specifically a greek competition. The school did lose a couple of greeks since I left, but has picked up other nationals to replace them

------------------
Naraht
Old 07-12-2001, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

And you all will be happy to know that Mrs. V still reads Greekchat, I got email from her earlier today! Can someone please suggest a different hobby for her.

------------------
Naraht