GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,277
0 members and 1,277 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2002, 04:42 PM
hendrixski

Houses! who doesn't have one?

Just how many frats out there don't have their own house? Do you have one, why or why not?

My chapter has a section of the dorms allocated to us. It's ghetto. The only other greek housing on campus is also school sponsored, and is at the level of appartments.
What's it like at your school?

And besides, How much do you need a house, is all you need is a place to call your own?

Last edited by hendrixski; 08-08-2002 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

The only fraternity here that has a house is Lambda Chi Alpha.. it's not a big mansion, but they are working on their house right now.. and their lodge is the most fun place to get together. Their house was build *way back in the day* by brothers.

None of the other GLO's have houses here.. mainly because the school won't try for a Fraternity Row.. and because of extremely limited funds.. unfortunately we don't have thousands of dollars to play around with like most fraternities/sororities
Old 08-08-2002, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Sad to say, all GLO's on URG campus have no houses. Well, lemme take that back, 1 GLO (Alpha Sigma Phi) have a house, but it was given to them by a new member's uncle. He works for the Bob Evans corporation (yeah, the restaurant) and since they had an extra house out on one of their hundreds of acres, they just kinda gave it to them. *shrugs*
On a side note : They won't even give dorm floors to greeks, as you can tell, it's a very anti-greek school. All they gave them was a picnic table and a really rigid rush period.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

My school lets the guys have houses but the girls can't have them. All they get is a dorm..on the school's terms. If I've heard that if 1 wants to move out, they all have to go. For a lot of members, it too much trouble trying to find a parking space for a 10 am class.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Well we can't have houses either...from what I have been told its because of a San Antonio law...because if there is more that 5 girls (sorority) living together then its considered a whore house...something like that...not to sure. But it stinks.

Ronnie
Old 08-08-2002, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BearyCuteAPhi
Well we can't have houses either...from what I have been told its because of a San Antonio law...because if there is more that 5 girls (sorority) living together then its considered a whore house...something like that...not to sure. But it stinks.

Ronnie
If you went out and got a house do you think the authorities would try to enforce that law. Their are a million old laws on the books that are overlooked because they are obsolete. Law makers never got around to changing them but they dont enforce them.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Well even though my sorority house is not a mansion or worth a lot of money(see other thread) I am lucky to have gotten to live in a soroirty house since there are many who don't have this opportunity even other ASA chapters.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
At Old Dominion University, we don't have houses either. Alpha Xi Delta has a house, but they were "grandfathered" in under the same law that many saying more than 5 women it is a brothel. (Another sorority had a house, bu t is no longer on campus. )

I believe Theta Chi has a house, but doesn't use it for much since no alcohol is allowed. I may be wrong.

There is talk of adding a Greek Row or even adding sorority floors to a new dorm that is being added behind our new Convocation Center, where the basketball games are held. But I won't see it happen before I graduate.

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 08-08-2002, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Our fraternity row move-in is being postponed a couple weeks. Most of the 8 houses moving into the row had horrible houses before that. one was a run down apartment building, most were residential houses turned into fraternity houses, and my house was a frat house for 20 years, and it's really run down.

The soroities on the other hand have MANSIONS compared to us. The best is Theta, but it's weird to see that on some campuses both Fraternities and sororities have these nice looking mansions. It'd be nice, but hey, we're happy with the houses we have.

Even AGO and ADX have houses.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NoShame_Gamma
Same Here

Quote:

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

That's the rumor around here as well, except it's for 6 girls. My goal for the summer was to do research on that and get the facts. I haven't gotten around to it though

-Obi
Old 08-08-2002, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
There are three fraternities/Sororities at the University of Guelph. Delta Upsilon, Pi Beta Phi and Omega Tau Sigma (The Veterinary fraternity).
OTS was the first greek letter organization at UofG and was the first to have a house. UofG officially became the university in 1964 after the merging of OAC, OVC and McDonald Hall (the women's college). The city then placed a bylaw banning fraternity houses so Pi Beta Phi and Delta Upsilon are without one. OTS was allowed to keep their house because they were in place before the bylaw.

Emily
Old 08-08-2002, 08:00 PM

My chapter has never had a house. Mainly this is because Panhel stipulated that the order that sororities would be allowed to get houses would be based on date of charter, and AEPhi is the newest sorority on campus. I preferred it that way... I got to form ties with both my sisters and my dorm floormates.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
We don't have a greek row but a few of the fraternities have houses... i belive Sig Ep, Theta Chi, Kappa Sig and a few others have houses. The thing is that they are all at least 15 minutes away from campus. A few in the Downtown area where it's not so great. Lambda Chi had a house but it got condemned and I am pretty sure the rats weren't even safe to live there. It was pretty bad. Unfortunate because they just put in a new floor a couple years ago. I think the only sorority to have a house is A Phi... but it's "unofficial" and the city won't let them display letters outside... zoning laws or something. And I don't know, but I keep seeing pics of Phi Sig with one on their website, but I have never heard of them actually owning a house.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

While we have a house, if you call it that built 1895 is a Hazard to live in! We are in the process of trying to build a new one!

Many schools have antiquated ideas on Greek Housing because of the "many things" that go on in the dens of sin!

In many instantances, the Greeks Show why there should not be Greek Housing!

There have been many things tried such as Greek Courts, Na Dont Work! Greeks having their own houses which in many cases are a drain on the finances upon the Chapter! Floors of Sorms given to Chapters.

So what is the panacea for Greek Housing?

I wish I had the answer!

It would help if if the Organizations would show that they desearve it and are adult enough to abide by the rules and govern themselves to wit!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-08-2002, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Ronnie
I had heard that here, too, but now they're building houses, so I have no clue what the whole story is... whether that's just an urban legend or not, I'm not sure.