GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,062
0 members and 1,062 guests
No Members online

Old 12-13-2001, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Phi Epsilon on your campus?

Two of my best friends are DPhiE's in Florida, so I am just curious about them. Especially since I haven't rushed yet. I also have one friend in AEPhi in FL so I'm curious about them too. Both are chapters at Cornell, but that doesnt matter, I want to hear opinions of them everywhere.

What are DPhiE's like at your campus? Be honest.

Thanks!
~Shari
Old 12-14-2001, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Phi Epsilon

Dfer's dont have a chapter at IU.

Correct me if I'm wrong but are they a historically Jewish sorority (like AEPhi) or a predominantly Jewish Sorority like SDT? If so, they could (and should) easily start a chapter at IU. We have a large Hebrew population and SDT and AEPhi cant take up all of the slack.

And before I get bashed, I'm not saying that a jewish girls shouldnt join other sororities...I just always thought that organizations like AEPhi and SDT were neat.

XP2k1...2
Old 12-14-2001, 10:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
D Phi E is founded as the first non-sectarian sorority xp. At larger schools like U of Maryland, U of Georgia and such, they tend to be more Jewish, but chapters such as my own have maybe one or two Jewish women, because the population is smaller. I can't help with the SDT or A E Phi thing, although I know at UMD they are known as Jewish sororities as well.

As for the D Phi Es at Florida, they are an awesome group of women! Their chapter is pretty big, but then all of the groups at U of F are I know they won best GPA on campus in like 98 or 99. Fantastic group of women
Old 12-14-2001, 10:58 AM

I have a few friends in DPhiE at UF. The chapter is a popular sorority at UF not just for the Jewish girls but girls of other religions join this chapter as well because DPhiE is so good there! The girls that I know who are DPhiE's are awesome!
Old 12-14-2001, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
D Phi E is a non-sectarian sorority, but years ago many of the houses kept a kosher kitchen which is why people think that it is a Jewish sorority.
I recently had an Alumni reunion with my Binghamton chapter in New York City. It was so wonderful to see everyone. It's nice to see that the bonds of sisterhood continue after college!
Old 12-14-2001, 02:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
At UBC, DPhiE was once a jewish chapter back in the 40's-late 60's, but because of that there was lowered interest in joining DPhiE so we lost our charter - we came back about 10 years later (1981) and currently only one of members is jewish. We have about 28 members, so we are about midway when it comes to numbers, but we definately have an awesome chapter. We are perceived throughout the Greek system as an involved chapter, with very laid back, genuine members who like to have a lot of fun. I believe when recruitment was all said and done we ended up with 10 new members.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:12 PM
UMgirl

DPhiE was a great group of girls when I was at Michigan. As some have stated also they were predominately "Jewish" (Probably like 98% seriously) and the tended to party with the "jewish " fraternities (ZBT, AEPi, TKE, and TEP). SDT and AEPhi were the same as having more than 90% of its members being Jewish and UMich has a very high Jewish population. I thought they were all great and sometimes felt bad when people said they seemed stuck on themselves b/c they were all mostyl Jewish. People just need to grow up sometimes.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a new DPhiE sister and let me just say, I love this sorority... Every sister I've met from any other school has been totally cool also. I would have to say that at our school, we are probably the biggest... there were 9 of us in my pledgeclass(fall 01) and in every class before us there were usually 7-9 new members... we are definitely growing... now there are about 39 of us on campus! My fave frats here would have to be SigEp, SAE, Phi Tau and Delta Sig but we are definitely friends with everyone! DPhiE just over all has awesome girls!
Old 12-17-2001, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was at Maryland, they were known as a "Jewish" house but the girls were really nice! I really liked their rush skits which had a "Camp D-Phi-E" theme with smores. They seemed to have a strong sisterhood.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

The DPhiE's at UGA are an awesome bunch of girls. Back in October, my fraternity teamed up with them to do Homecoming and had a great time. You can tell that all the girls genuinely love eachother and the Sorority as a whole.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My cousin was a DPhiE at Florida. My grandmother really wanted me to go there. She thought I would find a nice Jewish boy to marry. (My mother's parents are Jewish but I'm not) Maybe because I'm from Oklahoma and haven't been around many Jewish people I don't see the connection between going to college in Florida and marrying a Jewish guy. I guess there is a greater Jewish population there?

My cousin is an awesome girl so I assume the chapter is good as well.
Old 12-19-2001, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

We have a DPhiE chapter at my school... nice gals and alot of fun. I had no idea they was once a predominantly Jewish sorority... certainly not the case now with every chapter of theirs. (and my area has a higher Jewish population too, to wit: my best friend is Jewish)
Old 12-19-2001, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry if I'm wrong...but I did think that DPhiE started as a predominantly Jewish sorority, but of course is a non-sectarian sorority now. I'll have to ask my best friend...I remember talking about this in college. She's a DPhiE and just amazing. The chapter at Emporia State University (Emporia, KS) where we went to college wasn't so great and in turn ended up closing. My best friend was the President and had to help close the chapter. It was sad. That was too bad, but they did try hard. They had always been a smaller chapter and the 3 largest had started them, 5 years later they closed. I think that's a lesson to us all to help out smaller chapters, because none of us want to see a chapter die.

Anyway, nice women...have many alumnae that are famous, and Jewish..so I think that has stayed with the sorority for many years.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
To clear up any confusion, I am quoting from http://www.dphie.org/trdition.htm

"On March 17, 1917, five women at New York University Law School took a pledge of sisterhood and loyalty and so founded the Alpha Chapter of Delta Phi Epsilon, the first non-sectarian, social sorority and the only one founded at a professional school. Five years later on March 17, 1922, Delta Phi Epsilon was formally incorporated under laws of the State of New York."

"Minna Goldsmith Mahler*, Eva Effron Robin*, Ida Bienstock Landau*, Sylvia Steireman Cohn* and Dorothy Cohen Schwartzman*, five young law students saw Delta Phi Epsilon as a society to "promote good fellowship among the women students among the various colleges in the country...to create a secret society composed of these women based upon their good moral character, regardless of nationality or creed...to have distinct chapters at various colleges..." with the motto Esse Quam Videri: to be rather than to seem to be. (* deceased)"

The reality is that Delta Phi Epsilon has outstanding Alumnae of every religion and race and background which is what our five founding sisters intended.

edited for a typo

Last edited by Peaches-n-Cream; 12-19-2001 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Cream! Very much appreciated for all of us who were guessing.

Fraternally,