GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,258
0 members and 1,258 guests
No Members online

Old 07-17-2010, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Inception

Has anyone else seen it? I absolutely loved it. I am seeing it again on Sunday, and I rarely see movies more than once in the theater. Simply cannot get over how awesome it is.

Anyone able to give their thoughts without spoilers? I know that some people I went with had physics/time/kick questions. Anyone else have those kinds of issues, or general thoughts?
-GKC
Old 07-18-2010, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

My boyfriend and I saw it last night and we loved it. He's a huge Christopher Nolan fan and I've never seen him so excited about a movie after leaving the theater. He definitely wants to see it again! I think it's the kind of movie I would appreciate more the second time around because I spent a lot of the first third of the movie being confused.

The only big question I had (besides, of course, the ending! but it was a perfect way to end it) was how the son/kidnapped guy whose name I forget ended up in Cobb and Moll's limbo. I thought you got trapped in your own private limbo/subconscious? Maybe since they were all sharing the same dream they went to the same place, like how Cobb and Moll shared a limbo? Maybe I'm not understanding the movie properly...

In any event, very entertaining.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw it last night with my boyfriend!! We both absolutely loved it. Despite the fact that it was a little lengthy it kept us intrigued the whole time.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I guess it was good, but certainly doesn't make any of my all-time favorite movie lists. I was intrigued, but not wowed. I guess it's not really my kind of movie anyway. Maybe because the majority of the movie I was confused and it was only the recap at the end when they are moving back up the levels of the dreams that most of it made sense. The ending... .

Since you can wake up from the sedative with inner ear movement, I kept waiting for turbulence on the plane to wake everyone up and make them start over. Perhaps in the SNL version...

Last edited by violetpretty; 07-19-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I guess it was good, but certainly doesn't make any of my all-time favorite movie lists. I was intrigued, but not wowed. I guess it's not really my kind of movie anyway. Maybe because the majority of the movie I was confused and it was only the recap at the end when they are moving back up the levels of the dreams that most of it made sense. The ending... .

Since you can wake up from the sedative with inner ear movement, I kept waiting for turbulence on the plane to wake everyone up and make them start over. Perhaps in the SNL version...

Yeah, that was a little plot hole. Flipping the van wasn't enough of a jolt?

I liked the movie a lot though. My husband and I disagree on the ending.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

We saw it last night. Husband, two daughters and I all went together. We loved it. Any movie that gets people talking...about therapy, reality, dreams....and then analyzing what is possible...is an A plus in our book!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

So, did he make it or not? In my opinion...a weak yes because he saw the faces. (I am trying to sound vague)...although the spinning thing was teetering..........
Old 07-19-2010, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
So, did he make it or not? In my opinion...a weak yes because he saw the faces. (I am trying to sound vague)...although the spinning thing was teetering..........
I'm of the other school...how long do you think he was gone, ellebud? I'm trying to be equally vague.

AOII

Old 07-19-2010, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I'm of the other school...how long do you think he was gone, ellebud? I'm trying to be equally vague.
There was the comment by the wife about being married for 50 years. During the movie I heard the refrain in my head (self generated) "row, row...life is but a dream." But Michael Caine's character...was he professor or ? And the city..............And the other character aged to perfection. (again vague for a reason.)

This is why I think that this is an excellent movie. Yes, there are holes (but why?) but I think that they inspire conversation/discourse. My daughter said that she wished that she were Christopher Nolen's agent. She said that she couldn't imagine how challenging it would be to work with him. (or story editor)
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
There was the comment by the wife about being married for 50 years. During the movie I heard the refrain in my head (self generated) "row, row...life is but a dream." But Michael Caine's character...was he professor or ? And the city..............And the other character aged to perfection. (again vague for a reason.)

This is why I think that this is an excellent movie. Yes, there are holes (but why?) but I think that they inspire conversation/discourse. My daughter said that she wished that she were Christopher Nolen's agent. She said that she couldn't imagine how challenging it would be to work with him. (or story editor)
Yep...great movie! I don't think there is a right answer, but you can take home what you want from it.

AOII

Old 07-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

son saw it over the weekend and liked the movie, but didn't like the ending.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I loved the ending! It leaves you wondering if his wife was right for two reasons:

1. The kids hadn't aged at all and they were in the same spot doing the same thing as in his last memory of them, possibly also wearing the same clothing, I can't remember,

2. The top kept spinning.

That said, I think they cut to black just as the top started teetering so that we get to decided the ending! Maybe he was right all along and now he's home to take care of his kids, or maybe he was wrong and his wife was right and he was to kill himself to to the the real wold and be with his family in the world world- pretty huge risk. I think he's going to be staying where he is.

Nolan worked on the script for an entire decade, any holes in the plot were probably there to give the audience a chance to try to explain it for themselves.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri deezy View Post
I loved the ending! It leaves you wondering if his wife was right for two reasons:

1. The kids hadn't aged at all and they were in the same spot doing the same thing as in his last memory of them, possibly also wearing the same clothing, I can't remember,

2. The top kept spinning.

That said, I think they cut to black just as the top started teetering so that we get to decided the ending! Maybe he was right all along and now he's home to take care of his kids, or maybe he was wrong and his wife was right and he was to kill himself to to the the real wold and be with his family in the world world- pretty huge risk. I think he's going to be staying where he is.

Nolan worked on the script for an entire decade, any holes in the plot were probably there to give the audience a chance to try to explain it for themselves.
The kids did age, according to the credits:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/fullcredits#cast

It says there were two different actors/actresses for each child:
Phillipa age 3 and age 5
James, age 20 months and age 3
Old 07-21-2010, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I did not like this movie. I willed myself to sleep, I facebooked, I wished it would be over, I went to the restroom (but I was seat-locked so I couldn't keep leaving without disturbing several people). The beginning was great. But when the action was supposed to start, I couldn't have cared less anymore. It just was-blah for me. Everyone said it was thought provoking, but I didn't even want to talk about it. It was just dragging and naggy for me. I'm glad others enjoyed it though because it was awfully long.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I did not like this movie. I willed myself to sleep, I facebooked, I wished it would be over, I went to the restroom (but I was seat-locked so I couldn't keep leaving without disturbing several people). The beginning was great. But when the action was supposed to start, I couldn't have cared less anymore. It just was-blah for me. Everyone said it was thought provoking, but I didn't even want to talk about it. It was just dragging and naggy for me. I'm glad others enjoyed it though because it was awfully long.
I agree...it was long, and I thought Joseph Gordon Levitt got an awful lot done in 2 minutes.

AOII