GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,156
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,538
1 members and 1,537 guests
John

Old 06-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Question IPhone vs Droid. Got an app for that?

With all the silly hoopla going on today about the latest incarnation of the I(idiot)Phone , one of my local tv news programs was showing the difference between the two.

Those of you out there who have either one, what do you think? I'm on Verizon so I have been getting JUNK mail on a regular basis about the Droid but it being junk mail, I throw it away. My S.O. has the IPhone & yeah, on occasion I check my Facebook and play 2 games on it but really, I don't like it. My phone is a flip phone. It's a motorola something or other. The one that came out after it was the Razr.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I have the Droid. I love it. I almost don't even need a computer anymore with the Droid. HOWEVER, I have the first Droid, which has a slide out keyboard. I do NOT like total touch screen keyboards at all. I think one of the newer (if not both) Droid's does not have the slide out keyboard.

There are probably more Apple apps available for the Iphone than there are apps for the Droid, but I have to say.. I have always been able to find an app that I want/need for the Droid. There are still hundreds of free apps and I'm continually amazed at what it can do. I love it, really , really love it.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I have the Droid. I love it. I almost don't even need a computer anymore with the Droid. HOWEVER, I have the first Droid, which has a slide out keyboard. I do NOT like total touch screen keyboards at all. I think one of the newer (if not both) Droid's does not have the slide out keyboard.

There are probably more Apple apps available for the Iphone than there are apps for the Droid, but I have to say.. I have always been able to find an app that I want/need for the Droid. There are still hundreds of free apps and I'm continually amazed at what it can do. I love it, really , really love it.
You have the Motorola Droid or one of the other Droids with slide-outs?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
You have the Motorola Droid or one of the other Droids with slide-outs?
The Motorola Droid, the original
Old 06-24-2010, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

iPhone - good device.

I have a BB 8900...I want a nexus one.

*passes the collection plate*
Old 06-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Just went to 4G on my 3GS. Works like a charm. Will be upgrading to 4G as soon as I find a place where I don't have to wait in line.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-24-2010, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Just went to 4G on my 3GS. Works like a charm. Will be upgrading to 4G as soon as I find a place where I don't have to wait in line.
I'm not super knowledgeable about the iPhone but are you saying you have a 4G signal on your 3GS and are going to upgrade to the iPhone 4?

People get confused when you start throwing Gs around and talking about cellphones. Much easier to use Gen (for generation) when talking about handsets and stick to G for network capability.

Well at least for me it is.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animate View Post
I'm not super knowledgeable about the iPhone but are you saying you have a 4G signal on your 3GS and are going to upgrade to the iPhone 4?

People get confused when you start throwing Gs around and talking about cellphones. Much easier to use Gen (for generation) when talking about handsets and stick to G for network capability.

Well at least for me it is.
iPhones are not on a 4G network (yet). He's talking about the 4th Gen software.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
iPhones are not on a 4G network (yet). He's talking about the 4th Gen software.
Okay...somehow I forgot about iOS4.

See how easily I'm confuzzled.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Wait, are we talking about the Droid phone by Motorola or Android phones?

I just bought an Android phone and I love it! It's the Motorola Backflip ("the search is on for cute boots" commercial) from AT&T. I've played with the iPhone a lot and I admit that the iPhone works just slightly better overall (runs smoother, IMO). But still, it's a pretty damn cool phone!

My only real complaint about the Backflip is battery life. Even after making adjustments to like syncing my email every half hour, dimming the screen a bit, and turning off Bluetooth and such, I only get a 24 hours with moderate use. I probably could be doing more though to help the battery. This phone is supposed to be THE social media phone so I have Facebook, Twitter and also news always streaming (it's like a live widget that allows you to see the updates right on screen without even opening any apps) so I know that's draining it a bit. I might turn those off for a battery cycle to see how much it improves.

Also, there's a ton of apps for Android! I wouldn't say that they have more than Apple, but there's definitely some apps they have that Apple doesn't (and vice versa, of course).
Old 06-24-2010, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Wait, are we talking about the Droid phone by Motorola or Android phones?

I just bought an Android phone and I love it! It's the Motorola Backflip ("the search is on for cute boots" commercial) from AT&T. I've played with the iPhone a lot and I admit that the iPhone works just slightly better overall (runs smoother, IMO). But still, it's a pretty damn cool phone!

My only real complaint about the Backflip is battery life. Even after making adjustments to like syncing my email every half hour, dimming the screen a bit, and turning off Bluetooth and such, I only get a 24 hours with moderate use. I probably could be doing more though to help the battery. This phone is supposed to be THE social media phone so I have Facebook, Twitter and also news always streaming (it's like a live widget that allows you to see the updates right on screen without even opening any apps) so I know that's draining it a bit. I might turn those off for a battery cycle to see how much it improves.

Also, there's a ton of apps for Android! I wouldn't say that they have more than Apple, but there's definitely some apps they have that Apple doesn't (and vice versa, of course).
There have been problems with android phones and battery life. Live-in said his nexus one had a problem with the software that monitors the battery - it thought it was out of juice before it was actually out of juice. I think that's been fixed but it's supposed to definitely be fixed when FroYo rolls out.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My phone has a HORRIBLE battery life, but it's a windows mobile phone.

I kinda wish I had gotten the Android one I wanted (the MyTouch) maybe one day when I have the $$ to buy it straight out.

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There have been problems with android phones and battery life. Live-in said his nexus one had a problem with the software that monitors the battery - it thought it was out of juice before it was actually out of juice. I think that's been fixed but it's supposed to definitely be fixed when FroYo rolls out.
Does he like the N1? Everyone that I've read has it likes it a lot. Google really shafted people with the online-only purchase options.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animate View Post
Does he like the N1? Everyone that I've read has it likes it a lot. Google really shafted people with the online-only purchase options.
Loves it. Sometimes he gets pissed but he thinks its the best phone he's ever had.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I have the HTC Eris Droid and I LOVE it. Like Dee said, I almost don't need a computer anymore.