GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,512
1 members and 1,511 guests
John

Old 02-04-2010, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Leslie Anne's mad dash to the Academy Awards

Twenty years ago I would have called myself a certifiable movie buff. I went to every movie that came out in the theatres. I was at Blockbuster Video about every other day and I rented 6 movies at a time. Come Academy Awards time, I would have seen everything, I'd have a little party and we'd place our bets. I usually won.

Over the years though, I started to feel uncomfortable in movie theatres and went less. Then it got worse and I started to have panic attacks in theatres. I stopped going altogether. I still watched my rentals at home though, until eventually even sitting in the comfort of my own home couldn't keep the panic at bay. Now I just don't watch movies at all. I really can't believe something that was so much a part of my life is gone.

When this year's Academy Award nominees were announced I wasn't surprised that I hadn't seen a single film. It's been that way for several years. I'm annoyed with it now though. Really annoyed. So, I invite you to join me as I "feel the fear and do it anyway." I am going to try to see as many of the 23 movies up for major awards as I can before the awards ceremony on March 7th.

I'd love to hear your comments on the films and the performances as we go! I could also use some cheering on. This isn't going to be easy for me but I want this part of my life back.

So here they are...and here I go!

A Serious Man
A Single Man
An Education
The Blind Side seen it!
Crazy Heart seen it!
Coraline seen it!
District 9 seen it!
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Hurt Locker seen it!
Inglourious Basterds seen it!
In the Loop seen it!
Invictus
Julie and Julia seen it!
The Last Station
The Lovely Bones seen it!
The Messenger seen it!
Nine
Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire
The Princess and the Frog
The Secret of Kells
Up seen it!
Up in the Air seen it!

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 03-07-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: updating
Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Precious - A good movie, but nowhere near as good as it was hyped up to be. Mo'nique did a really good job, though.

The Blind Side - It was OK, but it seemed like a "Sandra Bullock needs an award" movie. I've seen this story several times before.

On my list to see: Princess and the Frog, Inglorious Basterds, Up, Crazy Heart, The Hurt Locker

Old 02-04-2010, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I am totally not a movie person, so I've only seen Up and The Princess and the Frog (yay Disney!)

I really, really liked Up! The Princess and the Frog was pretty good, but not too different than any other Disney princess movie.

And I'm sorry to hear about the panic attacks--been there!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for joining in, KS!

So I've started on my journey. I thought I'd start with something easy and non-threatening so I rented Up. I hated it. The story just didn't seem to flow or make much sense. On the good side was Ed Asner's voice...good to hear him again and a cute little ending. Otherwise, I was bored and underwhelmed.

I was set to go to see The Lovely Bones tonight at the local theatre but I chickened out. Maybe I should start with rentals.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I miss being a movie buff

I used to work for Blockbuster, so I was damn near required to see every movie.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Blind Side is a pretty safe movie. Should have run its course by now, so not too many folks will be in the theaters.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't seen a single movie this year, so I'll read along so I know who to root for.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw the first half of Inglorious Basterds. I fell asleep because it was so long. But what I saw was good My boyfriend, however, who managed to watch the whole thing wasn't too thrilled by it.

I saw District 9, and while it was a good movie, I was EXTREMELY surprised to see it in the category of Best Picture. It almost makes me wonder if movies just... weren't that great this year.

Other than that, I haven't seen any of these. I've been wanting to watch The Hurt Locker for a long time now, and I've only heard good things about it.

I continue to hear the same thing about Avatar... good movie with a boring and predictable storyline.

Fantastic Mr. Fox is one that I was very curious about. I have heard many reviews, mainly over the radio, and people have said it was surprisingly good.

Invictus is another one that I would like to see, but I have yet to hear any reviews.

Leslie Anne... I'm now counting on you to tell me which movies to see, and which to avoid!

@~/~~~~
Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I loved Inglourious Basterds; my boyfriend wasn't too keen on it. It's pretty violent but it's so over the top that it somehow worked (at least for me.)

Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Cannot believe you didn't like Up, I thought it was breathtakingly beautiful and incredibly touching for a kid's move...I cried the entire time.

LOVED Inglorious Basterds, although it is very long. I'm not big on gore and I thought Tarantino was going to fill the whole movie with it, but thankfully there are only a couple scenes. The rest was really well done, and there are two scenes in particular where he builds the suspense so well!

Liked District 9, wasn't as blown away by it as everybody else was but it was good.

Avatar was the same as Titanic for me (same director), incredible visuals and special effects that make you forget that the story is a little hollow. Pity you don't like movie theaters anymore because Avatar in 3D is really something else.

Coraline was ehhh for me...some cool stuff, but I didn't like it as a whole.

Nine is a really sexy musical, I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say it's the one I was most excited about on your list.

Those are the ones I've seen, although I still really want to see Up in the Air and The Hurt Locker since everybody is raving about them.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Avatar - I want to see this because I heard it's visually stunning. Even if the story isn't as great, it'd be pretty cool to see in an iMax.
The Blind Side - Saw this. It was a good story, and I like Sandra Bullock. I don't think it'll win an award though.
The Hurt Locker - Super intense and too gory for me. It was pretty depressing. I like war movie sometimes, but not as much as my boyfriend. I was pretty sad after leaving the theater. Ugh!
Inglorious Basterds - I liked it even though it was pretty gory. It had some funny lines and unique/memorable characters.
Julie and Julia - I want to see this! It seems cute.
The Lovely Bones - I read this book and loved it, but I heard the movie wasn't that great. The previews didn't even look that good.
Up - I LOVED this movie! So cute! My sister got it for me for Christmas.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe you could ease into it by going to some movies that don't stir up negative big time emotions, that are scary/gory/tragic. That way you won't have to deal with the anxiety that is part of the experience for those movies. Less chance of a panic attack, better chance to relax and enjoy the movie. So in other words, maybe "feel good" movies first? Blind Side, Invictus, Julie and Julia, Nine, the Princess and the Frog might be good first choices. Leave Hurt Locker and Inglorious Basterds for later. But good for you Leslie Anne for taking this very difficult bull by the horns!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Julie and Julia - Meryl Streep was absolutely adorable and she NAILED Julia Child. Truly full of laughs and very motivating to go home and cook something with butter.

Avatar - lose yourself in the fantasy and the story and don't think deeply. Special effects just fabulous, especially in 3-D.

Crazy Heart - Jeff Bridges was incredible.

The Lovely Bones - if Stanley Tucci doesn't win... I didn't even recognize him. Quite a contrast from Julie and Julia.

Up In The Air - George Clooney is reason enough and then there's Anna Kendrick, who steals every scene she's in.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Leslie Anne... I'm now counting on you to tell me which movies to see, and which to avoid!
I'll do my best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiAnna View Post
Cannot believe you didn't like Up, I thought it was breathtakingly beautiful and incredibly touching for a kid's move...I cried the entire time.
Yeah, everyone seems to have loved it. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Maybe you could ease into it by going to some movies that don't stir up negative big time emotions, that are scary/gory/tragic. That way you won't have to deal with the anxiety that is part of the experience for those movies. Less chance of a panic attack, better chance to relax and enjoy the movie. So in other words, maybe "feel good" movies first? Blind Side, Invictus, Julie and Julia, Nine, the Princess and the Frog might be good first choices. Leave Hurt Locker and Inglorious Basterds for later. But good for you Leslie Anne for taking this very difficult bull by the horns!
Thank you so much for the encouragement and the suggestions. It means a lot to me.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Julie and Julia- My favorite of the year, but mostly because I love to cook and I love Meryl Streep and Julia Child. It is a very good movie- but not a great one. Meryl totally deserved her nomination though!

Up- So bittersweet and wonderful. I want to see this one again- I wasn't paying attention the entire time (saw it on DVD).

Lovely Bones- Leave this one for later on your list. Stanley Tucci was... wow. I was so terribly impressed. He was truly BRILLIANT. As was the middle daughter. It has wonderful moments, but wasn't that great overall. I was not impressed by Rachel McAdams and Mark Wahlburg. And if you've read the book, you'll be sorely disappointed with the way it translates to screen.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ