Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,440
3 members and 1,437 guests
Cookiez17, Zach

Old 04-23-2009, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to psychdesire Send a message via MSN to psychdesire Send a message via Yahoo to psychdesire
When did you know you were ready to graduate?

Now, I know the responses I may receive are "When I took all my classes and received the approximate amount of credits." While that is true, research shows that (i forgot the exact percentage) of college graduates question their readiness for the corporate world, grad school, personal relationships, and so forth. So, for the people who are graduating this year "What accomplishments do you believe may have contributed to your readiness?" Furthermore, are you ready for the next chapter in your educational or professional career?

For those who have already graduated from undergrad, did you ever think about this question ? Did you all believe there was some things that you should have done in undergrad that you never accomplished/never had the chance to accomplish?

I plan on using this topic on my second Senior Research paper. I would appreciate all the feedback and experiences that you are willing to share.

My answer
I do not believe that I am ready to graduate yet; therefore, I am staying an extra year to become a better competitive candidate for grad school in the fall of 2010. There are so many opportunities that I wasted because of personal stigmas, parental negligence, and peer influence on my decisions. I have not shared this with my advisors, but I plan to do so when I attend a dinner in my honor for completing my servant leadership project. Participating in the leadership semester, opened my eyes to many opportunities that I can do within the next year. So, I am staying another year to do so. I refuse to limit my knowledge base to the traditional four years of schooling. I have a purpose that is undone...
Someone called me their hero today, because I refuse to get hype about graduation OR to just limit my talents to four years. I am pursuing another year of college because I feel I am not ready (skilled enough) in subjects I should be skilled in - How amazing is this
Old 04-23-2009, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

At my university, you're only allowed to take so many credits over the amount needed for a degree (128). In my program (business), they'd stop you front taking any further classes. The university would also charge you out-of-state tuition if you pass the set amount. That's how I knew I was ready to graduate

I'm happy to be out of undergrad, though. My school was pretty good with preparing students for the "real world," as a big chunk of our students are non-traditional.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, I was ready when I got the little APPROVED stamp on top of my clearance form. Up until that point, I had been scared to death that I'd walk out into the real world and fail. I didn't think I was ready to be an adult--that I'd bad at it and who wants to be bad at being an adult? But when I got graduation clearance, it was an incredible feeling. The university that had "raised" me in a sense was telling me that I was ready and they had faith that I would succeed--that's why they were letting me go. It was like getting the blessing from your parents. That's when I knew I could survive on the other side of the stage and I was UBER geeked when I walked across it!

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 04-24-2009, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to psychdesire Send a message via MSN to psychdesire Send a message via Yahoo to psychdesire
Thanks for the input I just had this epiphany recently, up until then on May 2nd, well technically the summer (shh!) I was going to be a graduate of my university. I was so afraid because I have not found who I was yet, which is hard entering the next chapter of your education and you have no idea where you stand and what your purpose is. Referring back to my lovely field of psychology, I am stuck in my identity formation and I feel another year (not extensively taken a lot of courses per se, just doing leadership and community service projects) to find my true calling.

This is a question that has been lingering in my head since my first graduate school interview I had... I am finally able to answer it and it feels wonderful.
Someone called me their hero today, because I refuse to get hype about graduation OR to just limit my talents to four years. I am pursuing another year of college because I feel I am not ready (skilled enough) in subjects I should be skilled in - How amazing is this
Old 04-24-2009, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

It's been 22 years since I graduated, but my program was designed to push out of the nest, so to speak. After 2 years of basic studies, then 2 years of my specific program, we had 2 three month fieldwork placements during which we were expected to hone our skills enough to be a full fledged Occupational Therapist. Those 6 months of fieldwork were a nice transition. We arrived at a placement, got a lot of mentoring and supervision to start and by the end of each placement, we were functioning as independent therapists. If not for that, I don't know that I would have really felt ready to enter the real world. While I gained knowledge in college, I learned the job during my fieldwork. I was very ready to start getting paid for what I was doing when those 6 months were over too!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I probably knew at the beginning of my senior year. I had enough credits to graduate after my sophomore year (because of AP courses), but I knew I wasn't ready at that point.

As for law school...I was ready to graduate at the beginning of this year. I'm about sick of school at this point.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

i knew i was ready when i totally disengaged from social events and student activities. i wasn't suffering from burn out (been there, done that - sophomore year), but when i returned from my study abroad my senior year i had no genuine desire to be involved in "stuff."

i went to class and went to work and was satisfied with it. ... i took that as a sign i was ready to be a "grown up" be in the workforce full time.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that I was a bit more clear about this in graduate school. There came a point when I knew I had learned everything that I could in the program and it was time to "become the master," so to speak. With undergrad, I guess I was ready to be done at the beginning of senior year.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

With undergrad, it was when I got accepted to med school. Without that, I would have stayed another semester or year.

For med school, it was back in February while I was in Australia doing a cardiology rotation. We had a patient who kept feeling light headed every time he stood up and his electrolytes were off just a touch. I suggested to my resident and fellow we should get a specific lab test but they said no, blaming one of his medications for the electrolyte imbalance...2 days later the attending physician said "why didn't we get a '[name of the test I suggested]' yet?"

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

ya gotta be kidding!

Ready to graduate?
The "first" time, well, I'll just say I wasn't a serious student. Beer vs. brain cells.
I'd transferred schools, really wasn't paying attention to my unit total. Please, I know that's stupid, but that was then. I guess I filled out some form to access credits needed.
I get this letter in the mail, saying, wheee, you can graduate in a semester.I actually called up the registration office, saying you have to be kidding.No, the dear lady chirps, that I was about done.I tell her, she didn't understand, all I knew was being a student, hanging with my friends. She informed me that was not the point of being therre. REALLY? And I was further told state schools were keeping an eye on "coasters"--those there forever, and were aiming to get them to move on.
That year, I was the only one in my group to graduate, one friend fell 2 credits short, another 3.
I graduated and given I really didn't have a direction, found a job adjusting credit card bills, nicely called customer service. YAWN.
4 months of that was enough to give anyone direction, motivation.
I went back to school, got a 2nd BA, did a 2 yr program in a 1 1/2 years, worked 2 jobs, took classes, did an internship and slept on Sunday afternoons. I found work in my major, and always found jobs in it: journalism.
The difference between the 1st and 2nd time, at birth my mom decided what mattered to her is having college graduates, not kids, and we -- sister, brothers -- were never asked about our future, we were told, had decisions made. She degrades anyone without a degree (this included my dad, who fled the marriage).
When it was my dime, I grew up, made my decisions and it mattered.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy technicolored Family Circus, my eyes hurt!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Holy technicolored Family Circus, my eyes hurt!
LOL
Old 05-14-2009, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I was ready to graduate at the beginning of my last semester. I had been accepted to my grad program so I knew what I'd be doing, and I just wanted to be done with taking classes for a little while.

As for my grad program, I am ready now. I am pretty tired of school and am ready to get out into my professional area and use what I've learned to benefit others (while getting paid).

I've never known anyone to stick around undergrad for an extra year by choice, especially with the cost of higher ed. these days.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-14-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I've never known anyone to stick around undergrad for an extra year by choice, especially with the cost of higher ed. these days.
I'm met a few who have extended undergrad (by several years) because they loved being college students. I long for my youth as much as the next guy, but there's no way in hell I'd remain an undergraduate that long on purpose.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I'm met a few who have extended undergrad (by several years) because they loved being college students. I long for my youth as much as the next guy, but there's no way in hell I'd remain an undergraduate that long on purpose.
I'v never met anyone who stayed because they loved being college students! That's neat.