GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,411
2 members and 1,409 guests
KatieKate1244

Old 10-28-2005, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twhrider13
Injury Question

I know this is kind of random, but like someone else said in another forum, "When in doubt, ask GC!"

This summer, I had horse-riding accident (ok, I fell off). I dislocated my right shoulder. We were way out in the country, so I had my trainer pop it back into place for me rather than having to wait the two or three hours it would take to get to the emergency room. (Yes, I know that's not a good idea, but I was desperate!) But, anyway, after he put it back in place, my mother did go ahead and take me to the emergency room. I had X-rays, and the ER doctor told me that my shoulder was no longer dislocated. No kidding.

So about a week later, I was finally able to see the idiotic orthopedic doctor in my town. I've seen him for other injuries before, and I do not like him AT ALL. Well, he looked at my shoulder and my X-rays and told me something to the effect of, "It wasn't dislocated. It's just strained. Go to therapy and get over it."

Now I knew good and well that it had been dislocated. I mean, it looked deformed right after I hit the ground, and as soon as my trainer popped it back into place, it moved a good 3 inches. But I didn't argue, and I went to physical therapy. I talked to my therapist about it, and she agreed that with all the looseness (is that a word?) in the joint that it had most likely been dislocated. Then she asked about an MRI. I was like, "The doctor didn't order one." She was in shock and told me that it's pretty much standard procedure to order an MRI on an injury like that. All we could figure out was that he obviously didn't think it was bad enough to merit anything other than the X-rays I got at the ER.

Well, I finished therapy and whatnot. It's been bothering me a lot, but it's just been a dull ache. Sometimes, I feel it wanting to "give" a little, but no big deal. Until today. I was lying on my bed reading, propped up on that arm. I rolled over on it to stretch, and the thing popped out again! I could hardly move, so I had to pop it back in myself! It was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced in my life. I haven't been doing a whole lot as far as trying to strenghten it since I got out of therapy with it, but still--you wouldn't think I could just roll over on it and dislocate it again.

It hurts really badly right now, but as long as I don't move it, I'm ok. At least it's back in place for the time being. My question is, is this normal? Should you be able to re-injure something like this that easily? Or do I need to make an appointment with another orthopedic doctor to make sure there's not something wrong that the other doctor didn't realize? (I'm back at school now, so there are plenty of doctors to pick from here. I'm not just stuck with that one from home.) I just wanted to ask before I tried to get an appointment with someone. I hate going to doctors, and I certainly don't want some random doctor I don't know thinking I'm just a crybaby. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-28-2005, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

find a good orthopedic surgeon and get an appointment. i understand that shoulders can pop out of place more than once-but you really do need to get a professionals opinion.

my husband dislocated his shoulder several years ago, and was in a great deal of pain. you have my sympathy and i hope that you get a good answer from your new doctor.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
My friend dislocated her shoulder, and a doctor fixed it. A week later she dislocated it again so she had surgery to keep it in place. I think that you should see another doctor who can fix your shoulder permanently.

I am really shocked that you were able to pop your shoulder back in place by yourself. My friend said the pain was worse than childbirth.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
My friend dislocated her shoulder, and a doctor fixed it. A week later she dislocated it again so she had surgery to keep it in place. I think that you should see another doctor who can fix your shoulder permanently.

I am really shocked that you were able to pop your shoulder back in place by yourself. My friend said the pain was worse than childbirth.
It wasn't easy! But it was either do it or lie there hurting because I was in too much pain to get up and call someone!
Old 10-28-2005, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by twhrider13
It wasn't easy! But it was either do it or lie there hurting because I was in too much pain to get up and call someone!
Oh dear. You sound like the woman in the commercial who said, "I've fallen, and I can't get up."

Once my friend had surgery, she never had another problem with her shoulder. I hope you feel better.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I would see a new doctor ASAP about it.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 10-28-2005, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
A friend of mine dislocated his shoulder during a football game, but he was one of the best players on the team so the coach kept playing him...in fact, I think he said he went half the season playing with that injured shoulder before getting medical attention. He said whenever it popped out, which was pretty often, he'd just pop it back in. GROSS!!!!!

Anyway, I'd get myself to the doctor ASAP. You don't want to have to live with that--I mean, you can't function if you don't move your arm, for crying out loud! *hugs*
Old 10-28-2005, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, the reason you didn't get an MRI is because they're expensive. F*ckin' expensive. In my med school clincial problem based sessions, we always mention MRI's as possible procedures we may want to order but are always dismissed b/c of cost.

The ER typically don't order them either b/c they're used to dealing with indigent patients, plus it's not like you can just go and get one any old time. There are a lot of factors that impact their readibility, like when you last ate, and how much swelling is present.

So if your Ortho didn't think it was that bad, then he definitely isn't going to order one b/c of the cost.

As for what's going on, you need a second opinion. Even if you go back to the ortho you've been seeing for the actual treatment, it will at least give you something else to go on.

What I can tell you (after only 10 weeks of school), is that you likely have ligament damage, which explains the looseness and the ease of repeat dislocation. When you get back to physical therapy, you ABSOLUTELY have to follow through on your treatment to strengthen the muscles around the shoulder. This is very important, b/c the tissue of the ligament does not return to it's original length very quickly. So you need the muscles around the joint to pick up the slack.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

What Betarulz! said!

My sister-in-law was thrown from her horse (she does dressage), and broke her back. The reins went over a fence post & pulled the horse down, too, which made her happy that the horse thought SHE did it! She got up, walked 2 miles back to the stables, and was taking off the saddle when my brother told her that she needed to go to the hospital. Her HMO gave her troubles with getting an MRI (because it was a "sporting accident"), but my brother persisted until my sister-in-law got one.

You may need a certified statement from your trainer, but don't give in. Push until you get that MRI, because the chances are good that, once your shoulder pops out on its own once, it will do it again. Think of your future, and fight! Good luck!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

As a former OT, I also wouldn't rule out rotator cuff damage, which can require surgery too. Definitely get a second opinion ASAP
Old 10-28-2005, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the replies and good wishes, y'all. I just wasn't sure whether or not to see another doctor about this, but since everyone seems to be in agreement about it, I'll try to find out who a good ortho is up here and get an appointment. Thanks lots!
Old 10-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

please keep us updated.