Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,386
4 members and 1,382 guests
Cookiez17, Happy Alum, JayhawkAOII, John

Old 06-29-2004, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Convention 2005

Since we are now 1 year away from the 2005 convention here in beautiful Tucson... I thought I'd start the anticipation off by
posting weather reports for the next 6 days so you'll have an
idea of what the weather might be this time next year.

Today is a beautiful, typical pre-monsoon day. The sky is mostly clear with that bright Arizona blue. The only clouds are a few over the mountains. At 10:30 am, it is 89 degrees and the humidity is 13%. Forcast calls for clear with a high of 100 and a low of 71.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Weather update for 1 year prior to the start of the 2005 convention... I know that everyone is waiting with baited breath..... :-)

At 8am (MST) it was 79 degrees. Humidity was 22%. Forcast is high of 97 and low of 69.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Another weather update ....

again another absolutely crystal clear day. At 11am it was 92 degrees and the humidity was 8%. Hi is to be 99 and low 71.

Now everyone chant with me .... "BUT ITS A DRY HEAT"

The Tucson Alumnae are really looking forward to hosting their sisters next year .... HOPE you can make it...

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 07-02-2004 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

haha! When I was in 7th grade we took a family road trip out west that summer. My father and I had nosebleeds for a full week from being in the "dry heat" (we were used to the Florida humidity!).

Anyways, I'm so hoping to be able to attend. I've never been to convention...so I think it's about time I go!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I have what may be a dumb question, but here it is. If you're an alum and have no specific reason to go to convention, can you go anyway? What is there to do in this case? (Besides just meet sisters from all over and stuff!)

I don't think I would mind dry heat...I just HATE humidity.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes you can go to convention!!! You should go!
Old 07-08-2004, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

YES!! YES!! every Alpha Xi Delta is welcome to attend convention. You get to meet alot of sisters from all over the country. You can attend the business sessions, the workshops, and the meals. I've been to the last (and now you'll be able to figure out how old I am) 13 conventions ... this will make #14. Sometimes I've been the delegate from my alumnae association, sometimes not, but its always been fun and very informative.

Looking forward to seeing you here in Tucson in '05!!
Old 07-08-2004, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Choose Children Community Project

And.... if you aren't a delegate, you have the opportunity to sign up for the Choose Children Philanthropy project... that's something that the delegates don't usually get to participate in because they have required National Chapter meetings to attend at the same time.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

There is now information about Convention 2005 on the fraternity web site.

http://www.alphaxidelta.org/convention.asp

I'd be most happy to answer any questions about convention or Tucson. There are alot of thing to do/see here ... you just need to consider the heat when thinking about an outdoor activity.

Also, if you are considering a visit to the Grand Canyon... remember it is a 6-7 hour car trip there from Tucson and if you want to stay at the National Park, you probably need to make reservations as soon as possible.

Hope to see you there!
Old 12-04-2004, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Oooh! I'm so excited. I am going to have to start pinching my pennies so I can go. We just spent all our extra $$$ paying off our Aruba trip that's coming up in March...maybe Santa will bring me a large sack of cash for Christmas!

Questions!

1-what are some of the local attractions in Tucson? I haven't been in that part of the country in about 13 years (I think! When was I in 7th grade?) so I can't recall what all is out there. I'd love to go see the Grand Canyon again, but that seems too far to make it during convention. I had thought about staying an extra day or two...perhaps I can see it then.

2-do you have to stay at that resort? I was just thinking it might be less expensive to stay elsewhere. Or is there anything even close to the resort? It wouldn't be worth the extra expense of renting a car just to stay at a less expensive hotel.

3-the website says that airline information will be provided w/ the registration materials, which won't be available until March. Would it be more prudent to try to book a flight now while they're less expensive? Or is there some kind of magical information included in that packet that I have to wait for before booking my flight?

4-it says that college chapters are required to have a delegate in attendance. Is there anyone else required to attend, like volunteer-wise? Does that make sense?

5-about how much pocket $$$ should I bring? I know the thing says that the cost of registration includes specified meals, but how many meals will we have to find on our own? And how much $$$ will I need for souvenirs, local attractions, etc. I'm a sucker for souvenirs, esp. if they've got AZD letters on them!

6-how many rolls of film am I going to need?!
Old 12-04-2004, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

ohh good questions ....

1) local attractions ... depending if you want to brave the heat ... there's always golf, tennis, and swimming at the resort. There's the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (which is flora and fauna of the desert), Old Tucson Movie Studio, Nogales Mexico is about 90 minutes away, Gaslight Theatre is always fun, there are art museums down town, Tombstone is about 2 hours away. What are you interested in?

2) The only ones required to stay at the resort are the collegiate and alumnae delegates. There's nothing within walking distance of the resort, you'd need a car if you stay any where else.

3)Flights - usually there's information about the "official" airline which should be giving good rates. I've usually found that booking via the internet is just as good or better.

4)Required to attend - collegiate chapters are required to be represented, Alumnae associations may be represented. I don't know if anyone else that is required to attend.

5)pocket money - breakfast is usually on your own and meals on the "free" afternoon and evening are on your own. Also, there will be vendors with all kinds of Alpha Xi stuff and time to shop at the "store"

6)if you like to take photos, then alot ... there are always things to take photos of .. from photo ops with the National Pres. to awards night to just about anything else...
Old 03-07-2005, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI ...

convention information and registration has been posted on the web site ...

Come join your sisters in Tucson!!!

http://www.alphaxidelta.org/convention.asp
Old 03-08-2005, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I like...

I had liked the idea for those of us who are members of Greek Chat to actually meet if we do go to convention.

Love in Xi,
Amber G.
Iota Eta
Old 03-08-2005, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

We did that in Orlando prior to one of the dinners and it was nice to get to meet people that you've been talking to online
for years.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I really, really want to go, but I just got back from a week in Aruba and don't know if I'll be able to take the time off work.