GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,523
1 members and 1,522 guests
naraht

Old 08-23-2002, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
NPC Quota, Release Figures and Quota Additions

How Quota is set

There are a couple different methods in the NPC book. Now, these are NPC recommendations but it's not a RULE or LAW that these methods have to be used.

#1: Quota shall equal the number of women accepting at least one invitation to the first or second round of invitational events divided by the number of chapters. For example:

Registered PNM 350
Accepting first invitational event 300
Number of NPC groups 6
300 div 6 - 50 quota
Accepting second invitational 279
270 div 6 = 45

#2 (This method is used when there are at least 3 invitational rounds including preference.)

Quota equals the number of women registering and attending the first membership recruitment function, multiplied by the average percent of women pledged during he last three years divided by the number of chapters.

Registered PNM 350
Number of NPC groups 6
Average % of women pledged last 3 years 72%
(1987 - 70%, 1988 - 74%, 1989 - 72%)
Number attending the membership recruitment function 325
325 x 72% = 234
234 div 6 = 39 quota.

Release Figures

NPC endorses a formula which College Panhellenics may use in recommending the number of invitations a fraternity chapter should issue to insure their own membership recruiting success as well as to provide an opportunity to pledge the greatest number of women.

Each fraternity may invite back Quota times the number of events in each event round, divided by its own average percentage of return for the last three years of formal membershp recruitment.

Formula:
First invitational
Events - 5
NPC Groups - 6
Women accepting - 203
Quota - 34
Percentage returns 95%

Quota x number of events divided by %return = number to invite
34x5 = 170 div by each groups' % return
34x5 = 170 div .95 = 179 to be invited back

Quota Additions

NPC continues to recommend that bids be matched to Quota only. It is recognized, however, that unusual campus conditions may indicate that some women whose bids fail to match in the normal bid matching process may be placed even if this puts a chapter over Quota.

Because most unmatched bids are a direct result of a chapter issuing more inivitations to preference events than it has a reasonable expectation to offer bids, Panhellenics using Quota Additions must encourage collegiate chapters to carefully observe the recommended release numbers.

The following procedures should be followed if women whose bids did not match in the normal course of bid matching must be placed in fraternity chapters that have already reached Quota.

1. No College Panhellenic may adopt this Quota Addtions procedure unless there is compliance with the College Panhellenics Committee's recommendation for release figures. These release figures are based on a three year statistical study as described on pages 85 and 86 of the Manual of Information.

2. The woman will be matched to the fraternity chapter she has listed on her Membership Recruitment Acceptance which is the smallest in chapter size, as long as her name appears on that chapter's preferential bid list, and that by matching her there that group does not exceed Quota by more than 5%.

3. This procedure shall never include a woman who lists an intentional single preference on her preference Membership Recruitment Acceptance or one who as failed to accept or attend any membership recruitment event for which there was room in her membership recruitment schedule.

4. No group may exceed quota by more than 5% of Quota. If 5% is a fractional number, the number shall be rounded up to the next whole number.

5. Quota Additions do not raise or increase the number of Quota and this process is only used during the bid-matching process itself. Quota Additions do not create Quota vacancies under any circumstances. Quota Additions are never involved in Continous Open Bidding.

Example: Quota is 50

Alpha Chapter - 75 members, pledged 50
5% addtion - 3
Total size: 128

Beta Chapter - 80 members, pledged 50
Total size: 130

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-23-2002, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Quota is the same for all chapters. It could be that:

a) chapters were allowed to take Quota Additions

or

b) the chapter was under campus total and extended additional bids right after formal recruitment to to reach total, thereby enlarging the pledge class

Old 09-26-2002, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by newsun

I totally agree that just having a total size (max size) would make a lot more sense. Straight forward, easy to understand, and even easier to follow.
But the problem is that it leaves too many Potential Members unmatched. If you enforce a chapter size across the board, it could be that only 150 PNMs could find homes during recruitment, leaving another 1000 girls unmatched. Not fair to the girls or the system.

Old 08-23-2002, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

If I'm understanding correctly. In AEPhiAlum's example, Sorority B would get and additional girl. Sorority A would only get quota. Sorority C would only have the 15. Four girls would go bidless.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

If you will pardon me saying, I never understood a word of this thread so far!

I feel that the rules are BS as at my School, there are 3 Soroitys and will not lat another one on! The Soroitys are not up to figures or what ever!

Heck, this is a School of 6,500 + and there are not enuff girls to join!

What Crapola!

Maybe those who want to join want to join a Soroity of a different nature or name?

When there are 3 out of how many ( 29 ) PHC that maybe not all want to join one of the three!?

Live or die by what you do to get membership! The Fraternitys do! We have been on the down and outs, but this Sem. we are really looking up!

This National NPC is holding back the advancement of Soroitys! Do something about it!

Now back to regular programing!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-16-2002, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Just one more example of DAISM!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-14-2003, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

From an IFC / Guy point of View, Jeeze What a Cluster F!

This is like Abbot and Costello, Whos on first!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-04-2002, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed. Way confusing. But I am glad there are people outthere liek Barbara who do understand it and can explain it and enforce it. Kinda ironic dont you think? Its always been taught that men were better with math and algebra, and women were the verbal ones. I am stymied on this. I stand by ya'll gals on it, but am utterly confused. I will however print out this page for our new member educator when he is teaching on the greek systems and the inevitable question is asked, "how do we get more sororities on campus?" I'll have him throw this on an overhead, expain the differenceies, and let the thread and rule summation do the talking. It explains things far better than we EVER could...meaning, there are way more procedures in their system. Just because were all greek dont assume we operate under the same guidlines. I made that mistake when I joined. Just the way it is.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Unhappy

My head hurt, I feel like I'm reading game theory.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

They had something like that at Arkansas when I rushed...quota was different at each sorority and it was set by how many actual bed spaces each house had left. It left hundreds of girls unbid. Everyone knew that adding more sororities wouldn't work because the Greek system at Arkansas is quite old--several of the sororities have been there for more than a hundred years--and if the girls didn't get 1 of those 5, forget it, they weren't going Greek. That didn't help the big sororities, the small ones, or the PNMs. In the South at old-system campuses, it just won't work to say "if they can't pledge the Big 4 or 5, etc., then they'll just have to pledge XYZ!"

Because... it won't work and the Greek system will miss out on many outstanding women. I feel the pain of the smaller groups. It's just that I've watched rush in the South for 30 years and I've observed various attempts by Panhellenic to entice the rushees into pledging groups they wouldn't have considered before rush started. Honest to heaven, the only thing I have seen work is a huge increase in PNMs, like they've had the last few years at UGa and Auburn. That'll get a smaller sorority up to size faster than anything.

Let me note that I'm not saying that a sorority can't do anything to increase its numbers. What I'm saying is that I personally have never seen an attempt by Panhellenic to increase the smaller sororities' size be successful.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

I can't figure out how some campuses decide to more or less write off 1 or more smaller groups when deciding whether to add a group. Like they'll have 5 groups of 100 women each and then 2 that hover below 30. If they don't add another group, the big 5 can take more new members but for some reason, PH decides to bring in an 8th group and that kills off the 2 smaller groups. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen it happen--like PH privately decided,"Those 2 are as good as dead anyway, let's just move on."

Old 09-06-2002, 01:52 PM

madmax - if they were under chapter total even after taking the quota for that rush, they can take more girls to get up to chapter total. If chapter total was 65 - and they had 3 sisters to start - they can take 62 pledges.

The 5% thing is for "quota additions" which are only usually used if there's something that guarantees all rushees get bids.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
The only way I've seen it work is when, after formal rush, a member of ABC (who is at quota/total) has a friend who didn't rush and is panhellencally minded enough to say to her non-Greek friend, "You know, we're not taking anyone else this year - but why don't you check out XYZ or PQR? The important thing is being a Greek, especially with Greek Week around the corner!" This is how TRUE Panhellenic Recruitment is supposed to work, isn't it?

honeychile
Heck, I've done this even when my group WASN'T at total. I know some women who are great, but would not be a good fit for my group. Why talk someone into pledging your org who is going to hate it, just so you can get the numbers? It would be nice if everyone could stop focusing on the almighty quota/total and concentrate on trying to give the rushees the best Greek experience.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
Ok, when we make a 1st choice bid list, do we fill the list until quota? IE- quota is 20. Do we list 20 girls, in alphabetical order, then place the other girls on the second bid list?

How many girls can we put on the second bid list? Is there a limit?

As NutBrnHair says the first bid list is always in alphabetical order and is the number of woman that is quota (in your example 20).

On your second bid list you may put any number of women to whom you would be willing to extend a bid. This list is in the order you would like to bid the women. It should contain the remainder of the women who attended your preference party that didn't make it onto the first bid list but may also contain women who didn't attend your preference.

By adding in the women who didn't attend your preference that makes the list a good starting point for offering snap bids.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiAkron
Ok...next question. I understand that quota additions and snap bids are meant for groups under quota...but what is the 5% rule. Is that only for quota additions? Or can people at quota snap bid also??
Quota addition is the addition of women who did not match to bid lists of chapters who have made quota. The 5% rule is that the number of quota additions is not to exceed 5% of quota. So if quota is 20, any chapter should not have quota addition of more than 1. If quota is 35 than quota additons should not exceed 2 (1.75 rounded up).

So ... say quota is 20 and a women attended preference at chapters AA and BB ( 2 being the max she could attend). If both AA and BB make quota of 20 before the woman gets a bid, she doesn't match and would not get a bid. She can, if she meets certain qualifications, be a candidate for quota addition. She would then be added to the bid list of either chapter AA or chapter BB depending on which chapter is the smaller and that chapter would then have 21 new members.

Snap bids are to assist chapters which didn't make quota to
reach quota. Quota addition only applys to chapters who make quota. A chapter can snap bid to quota even if that would put the chapter over total. A chapter that has reached quota can not issue snap bids. The chapter can only issue COB bids if they are under total.

(Edited for spelling)

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 05-31-2004 at 06:21 PM.