GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,292
2 members and 1,290 guests
No Members online

Old 01-27-2007, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Pi Kappa Alpha to be disbanded at SLU, four other fraternities in trouble

University News
Quote:
Fraternities at Saint Louis University faced an unusually high number of violations last fall. The Interfraternity Council and the University Committee on Student Conduct heard appealed violations. The outcome: Pi Kappa Alpha is to be disbanded until January 2012. Four other fraternities' fates are yet to be decided.

In mid-September, Pi Kappa Alpha was found guilty of alcohol-related charges and sanctioned to a year of social probation. During the probationary period, two more incidents were reported. Despite appeals, Pi Kappa Alpha was found guilty....

"This is not a witch hunt," said Porterfield, "It's not difficult to learn about these things."

Students, however, feel differently. The reason for the spike in violations is unclear.

Klucker views the violations as a cyclical problem. In the next year, "we [may not] hear a peep from the Greeks. But it's a different demographic that's causing problems," she said.

"SLU has a really strong Greek community. I mean these chapters are really solid," said Klucker. She "finds it surprising" that when one chapter is accused of a violation that other chapters aren't also angered.

I'd heard some rumors but this is the first actual news I found. It's about a two page article. Students feel differently do they? While I'm sure the Pikes are upset, saying that and not quoting anyone or adding any deatil is just dumb.

The answer to the last paragraph is that a) the chapters know the other ones are guilty and/or b) if they're not being unfairly targeted as a whole, they're secretly thrilled another chapter's being brought down.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, that is really a surprise as most if not all of the houses are on campus. Big, old stately houses that have been there for many years.

I always thought that they were so stable and that was the reason that no one else really would come on there!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-27-2007, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Wow, that is really a surprise as most if not all of the houses are on campus. Big, old stately houses that have been there for many years.

I always thought that they were so stable and that was the reason that no one else really would come on there!
Um, no, there are no houses on campus at all. Sigma Chi is the only fraternity with a house and it is off campus. There's a Greek dorm and many Greeks get on or off campus housing together.

Also there was just a new fraternity added in the last few years and I believe the SAEs were relatively recent before that...

Tom, you're completely and utterly wrong.
This is not surprising me at all.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Um, no, there are no houses on campus at all. Sigma Chi is the only fraternity with a house and it is off campus. There's a Greek dorm and many Greeks get on or off campus housing together.

Also there was just a new fraternity added in the last few years and I believe the SAEs were relatively recent before that...

Shut up, it's not like you went to school there or anything. You don't know what you're talking about! :P

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 01-27-2007, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
Shut up, it's not like you went to school there or anything. You don't know what you're talking about! :P
DAMMIT, you caught me.
I'll admit it:
I'm a SLU perp, a Jesuit-education wannabe, an 1818 hanger on
Old 01-30-2007, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a little upset to see how poorly written this article was.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post

Amazing that you admit that you have never been there!

If not, then you have no point in posting about a campus that You have never been to!

Why do you not check the school web site? Oh, why do you not go and see the Houses on the Campus?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-30-2007, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

You're an idiot TOM. I'm an alumna of St. Louis University. I LIVED on campus. There aren't HOUSES.

THIS:

is where you live if you're Greek at SLU. Unless you're a Sigma Chi (as I said before) and you live in THIS house:

which looks no where near as nice as this picture does in real life.

You disgust me.

Fraternities and Sororities
None of the rest of these orgs have houses. Show me a picture of one if you think I'm wrong.

Clearly you've never been to this campus.