» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,188
1 members and 1,187 guests
IllyPolly

Old 03-06-2002, 10:15 PM

The day you got accepted to the college of your dreams...

What was it like???

I had applied early action to the school I had always dreamed of attending. I'd given strict instructions to my parents not to open any college letters - I wanted to get the good, or bad, news myself.

"The Letter" arrived on my mother's day off, some time in January. She came to school to pick me up after track practice, and just handed me the envelope without a word. It was thin. I was devastated. I tore it open, expecting to see "Your application has been deferred..."

Instead it said "Congratulations on your acceptance into the Class of 1997!"

I ran back in, where some of my teammates were still getting dressed, and screamed the good news! My mom followed me in... another student (someone I didn't know) came up to her and said "Excuse me, ma'am, congratulations on your daughter's college acceptance, but you left your car door open." LOL

It turned out that my school informed early applicants in January, but sent out the "thick envelope" in April along with the people who didn't apply early. So I panicked without reason.

So... let's hear your story...
Old 03-06-2002, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Mine wasnt as exciting as I wanted it to be, but it was still nice.......

My parents had just picked me up from school like around 10pm because we had dance competition all day long. When we were going home my mom says "Oh, you got a letter from Baylor telling you you were accepted!!"

So, my parents opened my letter while i wasnt home. Even though they did that i was soo happy that i started screaming!! They were happy for me but not as much as me obviously, especially since they didnt want me going away to college.

As soon as i got home i read everything and called my best friend!!

Old 03-07-2002, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I got 3 other acceptances before I got the one I was waiting for (my parents had other ideas) so I hardly even realized it. But when I opened it and say that I was accepted to Washington State University, I was just to happy, I kept hugging my parents so many times. Then they broke out the champagne.. It was great!
Old 03-07-2002, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Tallahassee, Florida, USA and Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Sisterplum
I got the letter from my #1 choice first! I got home from school and found a large envelope from the school in the mailbox.....I tore it open, read the letter and jumped for joy! I ran to my mom's work (she's a crossing guard at the elementary school) As I'm running down the street, my mom saw me coming and yelled "What's wrong? Who's hurt?" Apparently cause I was running like a maniac! LOL! I said "Nothing's wrong....except I'm going to university!!!! I got accepted at X!" She started crying...then proceeded to tell everyone that her baby girl was going to university!

Unfortunately we ended up not being able to afford for me to go there (I would have had to live on campus...it was 3 hours from my house) So I picked from my other 4 acceptances and went with my #2...which I'm so glad I did, cause that's where I met my sisters and my husband!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! I remember how excited I was that day!
Old 03-07-2002, 12:30 AM

I got my letters from the University of Florida and the University of Central Florida on the same day. I was at work all day and my sister called me at work to let me know the letters arrived.
"They're both really thick," she told me. I told her to open it because the suspence wouldn't let me wait until I got home. I got accepted to both schools! I was so excited that I couldn't wait to go home and call my friends. I had a hard decision of deciding between the two but after a visit to both campuses I ultimately decided on UCF.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I was told by my principal that I wouldn't hear from my colleges until April so when I received a thin letter in March, I didn't think much of it. Much to my surprise I had been accepted to my safety school five weeks early. My mom and I were so happy. I told my principal and he said that it was probably going to be the first of many acceptances. April finally arrives as do my college responses. Four rejection, two wait lists, and one more acceptance. I was mildly disappointed by two of the rejections since they were long shots, very disappointed by the other two rejections, and shocked by the waiting lists. I decided to attend the second college that accepted me. I was really happy when I was invited to visit this school with other students who had been accepted. My mom and I show up and take another tour of the school and participate in all of the festivities. My mother decides to go to the financial aid office and she what type of scholarships I would receive. She returns to me very shaken up and tells me that she needs to talk to me. Apparently, there were no scholarships for me. It was pretty upsetting especially since we had driven several hours to visit this school only to have it taken away from me. Anyway, I went to my 'safety school' and joined my sorority and wound up doing quite well. It all worked out in the end. The funny thing is I received letters from the scholarship-less school for three years as if I were a student there.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I went to a JC for 3 semesters before I transferred to SDSU. I had wanted to go to SDSU since high school, but since it is like 9 hours away my parents said I could not go away right away. When it actually came time for me to apply to go away I only wanted to go to SDSU. Applying was stressful enough. I had my counselor from my JC telling me that I was waiting my time because I would never get into SDSU as a lower division transfer. When I did get my letter it was after school on October 28, 2000. I went to my mailbox and there was a stack of mail. Stocking out of the top was the corner of the envelop, and I saw the SDSU symbol. I pulled it out and it was a large thin envelop. I was like "ITS BIG!!!" like it was a good thing, and "ITS THIN!!!" like it was a bad thing. So I ripped it open and all I saw was congratulations. I ran into my house and up stairs and gave my Mom the biggest hug-she started to cry because she didn't want me to go. It was one of the happiest days of my life!!
Old 03-07-2002, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I dunno. I am still waiting for Princeton to seriously, seriously change their mind. hahah.

Seriously. it was a good feeling. Dont remember the day, I just busted ass and knew I'd get in. It was a relief tho.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up great topic

I remember the day I got accepted to vet. school. I had been on the waiting list and didn't expect to get in b/c it was my first time applying and I was only a junior. Anyways, in May I had heard that those that were on the waiting list were now being considered b/c of deferrments or declines by those that had been accepted outrt. I checked my mailbox everyday (which is unusual b/c I usually only check my mail once per week) and finally the letter came-I opened it up and started crying and screaming then I called my mom. I knew people that applied 3-4X and still didn't get in but I had made it.

A day that probably surpasses that one is the day I got my scores from the national boards saying I passed my boards-again I was crying and I ended up smearing the ink everywhere all over the paper. Oh the memories.......
Old 03-07-2002, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
I was actually away at a Model UN Conference. My mother was not home that weekend either. My aunt was at home and she was picking up our mail that weekend.

I knew that all of the early applicants were going to be getting their letters that weekend and was INCREDIBLY nervous, but had decided that I was NOT going to call and would wait til I got home so I could see the size of the letter and keep my humiliation to myself (I was so convinced I wouldn't be accepted, and the more everyone told me I was SO getting in, the more I was certain that I wasn't).

Anyway, all of a sudden people started running around the hotel like MAD screaming "I got in" and I couldn't take it anymore.

Surrounded by four of my best friends (and a couple hundred people from a wedding reception in the hotel lobby) I called my house. My aunt picked up and she was SO coy it was hilarious. Below I will copy the convo verbatim:

Me: Hi Aunt Leoncia, so how is...everything?

Auntie: Fiiiiine...

Me: So umm, yeah I was just calling, you know, to check in..

Auntie: Really.....

Me: So umm, did you check our mail today??

Auntie: Yeeeees....

Me: So um, did any mail come from XYA University??

Auntie: Yeeeesss....

Me: Umm, can you open it for me?

Auntie: Suuuure (FRONTING like she hadn't already opened that letter)

Me: what does it say? what does it say?

Auntie: It says......(dramatic moment where I SWEATED) ..... Congratulations!

Me: SCREAMING!

My friends: SCREAMING!

All the wedding party goers: CONFUSED

So I just ran around Boston screaming that I got in! A brass band that was playing for the wedding party actually played me a song to congratulate me.

It ws totally one of the best moments of my life.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by lovelyivy84; 03-07-2002 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't apply any where that selective with the exception of a 6 year combined BA/MD program at the University of Missouri - Kansas City that I really had no interest in going to anyway. So I wasn't really that worried about getting in considering my test scores.

My main excitement came with my application to the Honors Program here at UNL I don't really remember much about it. I came home from school and saw the plain envelope, and it was thin - like one page thin, but I wasn't so sure that it was supposed to be thick anyways. So I opened it and it said Congratulations yada yada yada... I was ecstatic, but I had to make sure that my friend got in too (she was a girl that I thought I was in love with and had kept a long distance relationship through senior year going, and we dated at the beginning of the year here at college) She did and so it was really exciting because that pretty much cemented the fact that I was going to be heading here to Nebraksa. I ended up going and sending her roses as a congratulations/merry christmas present.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
I got into all the schools I applied to: the first ones that came through were UVic and SFU, but I really wanted to go to UBC - anyways it finally arrive in Mid May (early acceptance) - I was so excited when I found out I had been accepted, but to top it off and something I totally was not expecting, was that I was given an uncondtional acceptance! That was really cool, I felt so proud of myself and so did my family .
Old 03-07-2002, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

The school I attend wasn't my first choice, but when i got my thick
envelope, I ran up the driveway screaming and waving the envelope.

Then I had to deal with my parents, who wanted me to go to the family school (it involves crimson and Cambridge, to give you all a clue - I wasn't interested)
Old 03-07-2002, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

It was great. All my friends were happy for me that I got in anywhere. It wasn't really my first choice untill after I got in. I still hadn't heard from the other schools, but realized I would get the best education here. And so far I have.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I applied to 4 schools, 2 of which were not very competitive (LSU and Loyola, New Orleans) and 1 semi-competitive school (Tulane, my "dream school" - HAH) and UVA (which I only applied to b/c my school wanted me to participate in the Jefferson Scholars scholarship competition).

I wasn't worried about acceptance to any place but UVA. I was #2 in my class and had a great SAT score. So I was playing the scholarships game. When the acceptances came, I was pretty nonchalant about them.

I didn't get into UVA, but I think that's because I applied REALLY late. Didn't make sense that I made it to round 2 of the scholarship process and didn't even get in. So I got over that quickly.

When the scholarship for Loyola came in, I was insulted that it was only half (my scores were WAY higher than their median, and pretty much everyone in my family went there). When Tulane's came in, I was crushed. I spent my entire HS career working for their full Deans Honor Scholarship and only ended up with a partial ride, that they usually give to people with much lower credentials than mine. I cried for about 3 days.

Law School acceptances were also pretty blah for me - all the schools I applied to were in my range, so I wasn't worried at all. Although, I am pretty pleased with getting a 68% scholarship to Loyola, New Orleans. And I expect that LSU has something even bigger in store (or so they're saying in admission)