Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 990
1 members and 989 guests
No Members online

Old 11-07-2004, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity did not show up for a mixer

My sorority had a mixer scheduled last night with a fraternity. However, the fraternity members decided to go out of town and did not even tell us. So, my sisters showed up and a couple of the guys were there and still decided to have a little party for my us. But we cancelled the mixer and told the girls they were free to do what ever.

In my opinion I don't think we should do anything else with these guys again until they apologize to us.

It only takes a few minutes to call the social chair to let us know that your fraternity is going out of town.

This is the first time this has happened to us.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDChiNicole Send a message via Yahoo to KDChiNicole
We had an issue with one of the frats on campus for our halloween mixer. We were having a good time and everything, and all of a sudden, all of them left without saying anything. It turns out that they went to go work on recruiting this one guy, but none of them came back to help clean up or anything. Basically, since I'm the social chair, I ended up having a lengthy discussion with their president about how they have a reputation for ditching, and that the Halloween Mixer was a precise example of why.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
You're right. You shouldn't do anything with them until they apologize to you. That was incredibly rude.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

How many guys showed up? How many did you expect? It sounds like maybe there weren't alot there but some guys did show. I am sure those guys wanted to be there and could have convinced the others (who made other plans) not to cancel.

When I was a collegiate this happened one time. The small group that was there just ended up going out together in a large group. We had lots of fun and go to know the guys better because it wasn't so intimidating to mix.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roqueemae
How many guys showed up? How many did you expect?
Only 4 of the guys were there and there are over 40 members in the fraternity.

I think those guys were there because someone has to stay and watch the house.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to FAUNikki
That happened to my chapter last year with a fraternity. Since then we have decided to pretty much not associate with them in any way. Thats just disrespectful to make plans and not show up.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASTDD2002
We had this problem last year with a fraternity at my old chapter...luckily, one of the guys was dating my sister, so she found out, but no one else knew until we met to head over to it.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

They owe your chapter an apology, plain and simple. A mixer was planned, y'all showed up, and they weren't there. It doesn't get much ruder than that!

There was a thread on this type of misbehavior last year: here.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
A situation like this happened with my sorority last spring.. except we were the ones now showing up.

Our social planned a mixer with a frat during finals week, and naturally a lot of the girls were studying. Only about 7 girls showed up, but most of the guys were there. The frat was PISSED and had their pledges egg our house that night.

We're OK with the frat now after our social explained that most of the girls were studying for finals. They still never apologized for egging our house though..
Old 11-26-2004, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lspegele
Wow..this is all new to me. I have never heard of a fraternity not showing up to a social event. Even though it was a really ill mannered thing to do, it sounds hilarious to me. Who are these guys?? Maybe the presence of fine women doesn't really interest them that much?

I worked on our social events and when I couldn't contact the sorority due to whatever, one of the guys in my house would.

These guys you girls speak of don't sound like they know how to treat women right and probably are just crappy chapters. I am sure they do have some good guys though so I wouldn't hold a grudge on everyone wearing their letters.

NOW sororities screwing with fraternities..that one I have seen many times..lol

Generally at UF we would choke out the sorority socially, where several fraternities would refuse to do stuff with them to teach them a lesson.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

That was really rude. I'd wait for an apology.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Red face How awful!

I had never heard of that happening before. That is so rude!

I wouldn't plan anything with them for awhile. They certainly owe your chapter an apology, and if it was a mixer where you paid for anything in advance, they owe you money too.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
You're right. You shouldn't do anything with them until they apologize to you. That was incredibly rude.
Have to totally agree. They don't deserve the time of day until they say they are sorry and make it up to you. How rude.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I'M SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT! That's so not right and completely RUDE! My chapter had something similar happen to us a few years ago and we cut all ties with that fraternity for that year and we did recieve a HUGE apology letter from their President, but Since then my chapter has been skeptical in planning socials with them.