GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,394
4 members and 1,390 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721, LaneSig, Titchou

Old 09-11-2004, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Alcohol Poisoning & Death in perspective

In a study done by the federal goverment (NIH), they assessed data from 1996-1998 and found that the average yearly death toll among the American population with alcohol poisoning as the underlying cause was 317.

Of that 317, 2 percent were in the 21 and under age group.

And of that 2 percent, not all were college related. I say that because it didn't break down farther on that statistic.

80 percent of the deaths are male.

I think its important to put in perspective how rare dying fom alcohol poisoning is, especially in the demographic that we as Greeks are concerned.

I am also presenting this to the people that think letting someone sleep off their drunk is irresponsible, whether it looked like the person fell asleep, or they lay down and "passed out."

Its so statistically unlikely to happen that it is small wonder that people don't recognize the possibility of dying under certain conditions.

You have a much better chance of being struck by lightning at the party than killing yourself with alcohol. Which is amazing if you consider how hard some of us tried from time to time with hard drinking.

Anyway, just something to ponder.

PS. If you are unlucky enough that someone dies on your watch. Expect to lose your charter and be sued even if you followed all the normal rules. ITs just our culture.

Last edited by James; 09-11-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

But I know of this case and at least two others within the Greek world where people were taken to rooms and "checked" periodically and ended up dead.

Even three is too many.

Had their friends sought medical help -- or even stayed with them in a couple of cases, they would have lived.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
But I know of this case and at least two others within the Greek world where people were taken to rooms and "checked" periodically and ended up dead.

Even three is too many.

Had their friends sought medical help -- or even stayed with them in a couple of cases, they would have lived.
DA, while it's easy to play out the "then what's" here, James has an excellent point. His point is that in about 99.99999% of cases, what these guys did would have been just fine and they'd still have their charter today.

It just so happened that lightening struck, and what was legitimately unexpected happened -- she died. I agree that they're not 100% to blame for this or even close to that.

I agree with James that if what was done by their HQ was only due to this incedent, that it seems like an unfair knee-jerk reaction to avoid liability. Not fair to the members in any way, shape or form.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-12-2004, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

The facts that James posted have some interesting facts.

But no matter how truthful the facts are, any time this happens within a GLO, it is a catastrophic situation.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-13-2004, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

When I met Mrs. DA, she was singing with a campus rock group as a Freshman.

She was also dating the lead singer.

She was the Prom Queen at her high school, a class officer, an area student council queen, Buckeye Girls State delegate, Outstanding Senior Bandsman, Musical Theater lead, commencement speaker and a number of other awards.

She grew up on a farm in a very small town.

Does all of this sound a little familiar?

She also had little or no experience with alcohol.

One night (actually just before we met) she went out to a party with her lead singer date and drank way too much and ended up with alcohol poisoning.

Thank goodness someone had the good sense to get her to the Health Center. I really don't know if it was the people she was drinking with or her dorm mates. In any event, she was lucky.

I'm not pointing the finger of blame at the Sigma Pi brothers. However I do want to point out that there are several potential mistakes here -- perhaps caused by inexperience -- that may have cost this young woman her life.

By the way, she still won't drink sloe gin to this day.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:48 AM
Banned

I think that even if the chances are low and very few people can reach the point of death, it's still no reason to drink. The damage is immense.

And you know what? I would love to think that Greeks really do hold certain values higher than others, otherwise it's for nothing. All those dues, all those events and hours of work are for nothing guys. All it takes is the fraternity/sorority to say, "hey listen you need to stop drinking. Come back another time".

-Rudey
Old 09-13-2004, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Very good point.

I would not try to suggest that Greeks shouldn't drink.

I would say that alcohol should not be a reason for the Greek System or a chapters existance, though.

A lot of people have said that they can't find in their Ritual anything about drinking being a factor in their founding. If drinking were banned, it probably wouldn't violate any GLO's constitution or bylaws.

I'm having a drink as I write this -- but I won't get drunk. I'm not necessarily suggesting dry housing, but if it saves lives and/or saves the fraternity system as we know it, I certainly wouldn't object.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Very good point.

I would not try to suggest that Greeks shouldn't drink.

I would say that alcohol should not be a reason for the Greek System or a chapters existance, though.

A lot of people have said that they can't find in their Ritual anything about drinking being a factor in their founding. If drinking were banned, it probably wouldn't violate any GLO's constitution or bylaws.

I'm having a drink as I write this -- but I won't get drunk. I'm not necessarily suggesting dry housing, but if it saves lives and/or saves the fraternity system as we know it, I certainly wouldn't object.
To me this is the other side of what I was talking about.

I honestly see the good in Greeks. I really do. No matter what is in the headline - hazing, death, whatever - I still think deep down these organizations are needed and have so much potential.

I expect my brothers to stop a girl from drinking if she's swaying. I expect them to tell a rush that he should go home if they need to. It's out of a sense of holding to those ideals and not because it's a rule or about some cold statistic that maybe 1 out of however many students who drinks will die. So to me, making a house dry is about approaching the situation through rules as opposed to ideals and values.

-Rudey

Last edited by Rudey; 09-13-2004 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Alcohol Poisoning & Death in perspective

Quote:
Originally posted by James
In a study done by the federal goverment (NIH), they assessed data from 1996-1998 and found that the average yearly death toll among the American population with alcohol poisoning as the underlying cause was 317.

Of that 317, 2 percent were in the 21 and under age group.

And of that 2 percent, not all were college related. I say that because it didn't break down farther on that statistic.

80 percent of the deaths are male.

I think its important to put in perspective how rare dying fom alcohol poisoning is, especially in the demographic that we as Greeks are concerned.
So the question that looms in the air, at least for me, is of the 64 deaths that were in the 21 and under age group, how many were Greek related? I know we don't have the stats but I would sure be interested in knowing it.

Honestly, I think a lot of this would be avoided if there was better education about the symptoms of alcohol poisoning. I've heard so many times about people that were left alone because they were sleeping it off, or they passed out. What's the difference? How do you tell? When do you decide it's time to go to the ER?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Re: Re: Alcohol Poisoning & Death in perspective

6.4 deaths in the 21 and under group, not 64. Slight, but important difference.

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl
So the question that looms in the air, at least for me, is of the 64 deaths that were in the 21 and under age group, how many were Greek related? I know we don't have the stats but I would sure be interested in knowing it.

Honestly, I think a lot of this would be avoided if there was better education about the symptoms of alcohol poisoning. I've heard so many times about people that were left alone because they were sleeping it off, or they passed out. What's the difference? How do you tell? When do you decide it's time to go to the ER?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by THE BABY JESUS
Alcohol in moderation, my children... moderation.
this is something that a lot of people must learn, especially the freshmen here at BU!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Freshmen everywhere.

Moderation really is the key. Education is another.

As for knowing the difference, someone pointed out in one of the threads that ANY time someone passes out, help should be called.

That seems extreme, but given the situation that we don't really know, if it saves someone's life, that's probably the right answer.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I know this year at BU has seen the most freshmen sent to the hospital for alcohol related events. It makes you wonder what's different about this class, is it the way alcohol and drugs were taught? I haven't seen any glaring reason why it's so out of control this year, except the fact they are out on a Saturday night starting at 9PM. I know we'd wait until at least 11PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:
Originally posted by jharb
I know this year at BU has seen the most freshmen sent to the hospital for alcohol related events.
it seems to be happening a lot this year. one of my friends works in residence life at MIT and is in charge of three freshman dorms. she was telling me today that the freshman moved in 2 weeks ago and there have already been numerous incidents involving them and drinking.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
When I was in college, a friend of mine had alcohol poisoning. Fortunately, someone had the good sense to call for help. She was taken to the hospital, treated, and released the next day. She was quite embarrassed, and the fraternity who hosted the party wanted to keep the story quiet. Looking back, it might have served the campus population if the story had been publicized as a cautionary tale. Of course, that couldn't happen because there would have been pretty extreme consequences for the woman and the fraternity involved.

Last edited by Peaches-n-Cream; 09-13-2004 at 10:36 PM.