GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,300
1 members and 1,299 guests
John

Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment greek speak

I should have put it here instead of the sorority recruitment forum, but oh well. Sorry about that.

I'm the recruitment advisor for the local chapter where I live.

They do monthly greek speaks and I'm doing this one's. The topic is recruitment. Now, my recruitment experience (when I was in college) was lacking as I went through spring and didn't affiliate.

Hence my asking y'all for advice.

If you were the advisor what would you tell them? Any horror stories, success stories. What to do and what not to do.

I would love to take the suggestions you guys give me and tell it to the greeks at the school.

Thanks!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I should have put it here instead of the sorority recruitment forum, but oh well. Sorry about that.

I'm the recruitment advisor for the local chapter where I live.

They do monthly greek speaks and I'm doing this one's. The topic is recruitment. Now, my recruitment experience (when I was in college) was lacking as I went through spring and didn't affiliate.

Hence my asking y'all for advice.

If you were the advisor what would you tell them? Any horror stories, success stories. What to do and what not to do.

I would love to take the suggestions you guys give me and tell it to the greeks at the school.

Thanks!
What exactly is the purpose of these speeches? To teach, to share experiences, or both? Are they supposed to be inspirational, motivating? Are you looking to be serious or funny? If this is supposed to be more educational than anything else, what is your recruitment like? Formal, informal, competitive, laid back?

@~/~~~~
Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
What exactly is the purpose of these speeches? To teach, to share experiences, or both? Are they supposed to be inspirational, motivating? Are you looking to be serious or funny? If this is supposed to be more educational than anything else, what is your recruitment like? Formal, informal, competitive, laid back?
I believe they are to share experiences and to teach. This is the first greek speak that they (greek life) has asked an advisor to present at.

I want to motivate, I also think that some of what I say does need to be serious but some can be funny as well.

Recruitment is different at my school. We have one NPC, 2 frats and 1 service sorority.

While we don't have a panhellenic council yet, we follow the green book, and we have a structured formal recruitment in the fall. It isn't competitive, right now, because there is only 1 social sorority. Our competition is the service sorority, which charges less in dues than we do.

The biggest competition greeks in general have is the culture of the campus, greek life has come and gone. The president of the school is super supportive (is greek himself) and wants it to take off. It is just getting people interested and getting past the mentality of "buying your friends". Which all the chapters are struggling with.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt