Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,269
0 members and 1,269 guests
No Members online

Old 07-25-2004, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We Do NOT HAVE COUSINS

A friend of mine TOLD ME that WE, Zetas and Sigmas have cousins by the name of Sigma Lambda Gamma and Sigma Lambda Beta. Do any Sigmas on greekchat or anywhere else acknowledge these people as fam? Honestly, I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANYONE IN MY FAMILY BESIDES SIGMA. I do not remember learning about these folks, I ve been down almost ten years. Frat, if any of you are giving these people the BOND you're out of order. They are NOT A PART OF OUR FAMILY. We have each other and Auxiliaries. Why do we even need to acknowledge anyone else? If they think Blue and White is the end all, be all, then they should've PLEDGED ZETA OR SIGMA.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Cousins or no cousins?

Soror, I understand what you are saying. The term cousin may be a bit strong, but there is some relation between Phi Beta Sigma and Sigma Lambda Beta. Most Brothers and Sisters in the Blue and White Family accept it, but there are some that do not. That is their choice.

The Founder for Sigma Lambda Beta, was in fact...a Sigma at one time. I know that sounds weird, but it is a fact. He decided to found a predominately Latino Organization with primarily the same principles as Phi Beta Sigma. That is exactly what he did.

What he did was not unlike what Huey P. Newton did with the Black Panthers. He was a Sigma...then basically stopped being a Sigma....and started the Black Panthers. We are proud of him, and no one in this organization has every been upset with the decision that he made.

We can accept the term "cousin" or not. It is up to each individual Brother or Sister. But we can not deny the relationship that we have with the Betas. Now...I am not so sure of their relationship with the Gammas...but I know here in Florida, we get along great, and regard them as our cousins.

Take care Soror.

Mallet
Old 07-26-2004, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Frat, I feel your response, and yeah I do think the term cousin is a bit strong, but I dont think its that weird that a Sigma was involved in their founding. What I do think is weird is you said that he stopped being a Sigma. Can you ever really stop being a Sigma? What does that mean? And if it is possible to "stop" being a Sigma and you do create, design, organize or whatever another fraternity, should it be implied that anything a Sigma creates is connected to Sigma? He acted as an independent person when he did this, the entity of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. was not a part of Sigma Lambda Beta's creation, if you follow what I'm saying. He was not acting on behalf of the Frat, he was acting on his own. That being so, who is anyone to claim that we are cousins in any respect? If for whatever reason I wanted to do what he did and I created another sorority, does that sorority have the right to claim to be part of the Blue and White family too? Im still waiting for the Deltas to say that they are cousins to AKA. LOL
Old 07-29-2004, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shortfuse Send a message via Yahoo to Shortfuse
Soror, you're not a SIGMA so why get yourself bent ALL out of shape over it? All you can worry about is YOU. Just like you said in your first post. YOU don't recognized them being cousins of Sigmas, which is kinda baffling to me because you're not a sigma. So it really isn't your call.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Shortfuse: You did not read my post. I said the friend asserted that we BOTH have cousins, not just Sigma.

I know I'm not a Sigma but aren't my brother's cousins my cousins too?, and no I'm not bent out of shape about it. So be easy.

I just didn't like the idea of someone telling me who my family is. Of course, the B&W family is responsible for the misinformation albeit unintended.

Peace out Frat.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

So if you're correcting your friend then why bother bringing this nonsense to us. This is just as crazy as the "dove" arguement that use to pop up on megagreek.

It might have been wrong to say Zetas are cousins to this org but why not just let Sigmas claim this.

Your brother's cousins your cousins too? Not necessarily. My (REAL) brother has another father and I'm not related to none of his family members. So your question has been answered.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

*speechless* but you speak the truth Brother.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hold your breath - and see what happens - lol

Im still waiting for the Deltas to say that they are cousins to AKA. LOL [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 04-26-2006, 04:51 AM
GreekChat Member

History Lesson for all the haters..

Aight, aight.. So we got some ppl in the blue and white family making a big fuss of things.. Well let me break it down for some of ya'll..

I'll call it Royal Family 101.. 3 credit course, Professor "#86".

1- Baltazar Mendoza Madrigal IS a Sigma AND a LAMBDA BETA
2- No, we're not officially recognized as cousins. But then again, SLB and SLG arent really brothers and sisters.
3- We arent trying to be a copy of blue and white, we're doing our own thing. Now before you take this the wrong way, i got mad respect for all of you, but thats just how it is.

With that said, i will explain.

1: Founding Father Baltazar crossed Sigma and saw the great service PBS was doing for the advancement of the African American community; as time progressed he saw a need of an organization that could do the same for the Latino community. He then went to the national board of PBS and asked for permission to found his own organization with similar goals and aspirations geared towards the Latino community. They GRANTED him that opportunity. Therefore, he DIDN'T have to drop his PBS letters. Along with that, if he crossed PBS then he obviously knows the PBS process... Makes sense right?.. So, SLB and PBS process is bound to have MANY similarities.. HENCE, we are cousins not only by ideals, and goals; but by hardships and triumphs as well. And yes, i mean ALL hardships.. errrrrrripp!

2- SLB and SLG are not officially related but do share many similarities. SLG was founded from a group of women that were originally known as the "Lambda Ladies". At the risk of considering SLB a co-ed fraternity, SLB brothers quickly helped the "Lambda Ladies" establish their own organization. Yes, SLG ladies.. This is TRUE!! So dont tell me I'm wrong b/c I've spoken to the men face to face that helped found SLG. Hence, SLG (some chapters) have SOME similarities to that of SLB, which in turn are similarities with PBS... and I'm sure meaning similarities with ZFB.

3- And finally... WE AINT TRYIN TO BE YOU!! I'm sorry to sound rude, but the haters need to understand. If we wanted to be u we would have pledged PBS or Zeta. Now, I'm cool with all Sigmas and Zetas I know. We support each others events and have a good relationship. So why the royal family? C'mon now, blue and purple?? Both royal colors, makes sense right?? Sure does. Feel free to copy and paste this quick and short history lesson, to inform all of those that were not "educated" properly.

All in all.. Can't we all just get along!! damn!

Peace, i'm out!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LenBias Send a message via Yahoo to LenBias
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLB86
Aight, aight.. So we got some ppl in the blue and white family making a big fuss of things.. Well let me break it down for some of ya'll..

2- No, we're not officially recognized as cousins. But then again, SLB and SLG arent really brothers and sisters.
3- We arent trying to be a copy of blue and white, we're doing our own thing. Now before you take this the wrong way, i got mad respect for all of you, but thats just how it is.

1: Founding Father Baltazar crossed Sigma and saw the great service PBS was doing for the advancement of the African American community; as time progressed he saw a need of an organization that could do the same for the Latino community. He then went to the national board of PBS and asked for permission to found his own organization with similar goals and aspirations geared towards the Latino community. They GRANTED him that opportunity. Therefore, he DIDN'T have to drop his PBS letters. Along with that, if he crossed PBS then he obviously knows the PBS process... Makes sense right?.. So, SLB and PBS process is bound to have MANY similarities.. HENCE, we are cousins not only by ideals, and goals; but by hardships and triumphs as well. And yes, i mean ALL hardships.. errrrrrripp!

2- SLB and SLG are not officially related but do share many similarities. SLG was founded from a group of women that were originally known as the "Lambda Ladies". At the risk of considering SLB a co-ed fraternity, SLB brothers quickly helped the "Lambda Ladies" establish their own organization. Yes, SLG ladies.. This is TRUE!! So dont tell me I'm wrong b/c I've spoken to the men face to face that helped found SLG. Hence, SLG (some chapters) have SOME similarities to that of SLB, which in turn are similarities with PBS... and I'm sure meaning similarities with ZFB.

3- And finally... WE AINT TRYIN TO BE YOU!! I'm sorry to sound rude, but the haters need to understand. If we wanted to be u we would have pledged PBS or Zeta. Now, I'm cool with all Sigmas and Zetas I know. We support each others events and have a good relationship. So why the royal family? C'mon now, blue and purple?? Both royal colors, makes sense right?? Sure does. Feel free to copy and paste this quick and short history lesson, to inform all of those that were not "educated" properly.

Peace, i'm out!
Thanks for the history lesson.....because this girl at my internship last summer..came up to me and was like "We are cousins"..so I called my Dean and he said we didnt have any cousins...but anyway..I got love for Everybody...I just hadn't heard and your Org before last summer....
Old 05-03-2007, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Alright well first off, Baltazar Mendoza Madrigal is BOTH a Sigma and Beta! Double lettered! He was first a Sigma then founded SLB after getting permission from Sigma nationals. I know here at UIUC the Sigmas and the Zetas both consider SLB and SLG cousins. We strolls together and chants that refer to each other. It's all good if some Sigmas and Zetas do not consider us cousins. That's fine. But know that we are not trying to "be like" anything but LAMBDA BETAS!
Old 09-28-2007, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

:-)

Hey guys,
I dont see why are we arguing over this. Some Sigmas and Zetas consider SLG and SLB as their cousins and some don't. We can not change that. I respect all the royals and I think that we should rather not waste our time on this because no one is going to come to an agreeable conclusion. And please be respectful! Thank you
Zahra
Old 12-29-2008, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation blulady

I really was not going to comment, but somehow, it popped back up in a google search.

Dear Bruhs and Sorors,

It seems to me that we indeed have cousins, and they [indeed] should be recognized.

I hope all whom speak on the matter are all whom have pledged...
And as the pledged, all should be open minded (not ignorant) in the subject matter, and careful about what and how things are said...

Bro. Madrigal, member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. has begun a new breed to the family. As he is our brother, his sons are automatically family--our cousins. (To be politically correct, our nephews; but, by the laws of nature, our cousins, nonetheless.)

They are not Frat or Sorors, and no one is asking you to call them that, but you should embrace the ties they have with us. Some of you sound as if you're scared (lol). I know you know better than to be afraid
But, if you are concerned with how they would represent the royal family, then that shows a lack of knowledge; you should do your research, so that you are not uncomfortable *not knowing* how they conduct business and themselves, INSTEAD OF RANTING.

On our yard, there are not any latino organizations, and I believe their sister organization Sigma Lambda Gamma are in a neighboring school, but I still recognize that there is a connection.

This, however, is not the place to be discussing it. I believe that all of you should know better, and
Sister "blu lady" please be mindful of your tone and how you portay the blu and white family.

Discretion and unity in the eyes of the public, please and thanks. Remember that your purpose is to lead by example.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Alucinante75 Send a message via Yahoo to Alucinante75
Alright bro, way to rep purple fam!!!! I guess this is somewhat also a regional thing. I know that the Sigmas and Zetas that I know from here have recognized us and SLB as a sort of "cousin" entity. It is rare that people actually use that word, but they see it as a family.
#75 Alucinante
La Resuelta---SOLO CLUB 2K6
Sigma Lambda Gamma
Old 05-24-2006, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: History Lesson for all the haters..

Quote:
Originally posted by SLB86

Peace, i'm out!

Why did you bring up a thread that as 2 years old?