Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,227
2 members and 1,225 guests
Xidelt

Old 11-16-2005, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twocutetx Send a message via MSN to twocutetx Send a message via Yahoo to twocutetx
So. . .I made contact

Just an update. . .since my semester is winding down and I decided to add more stress to it *giggles*

I have contacted two sororities that I have contacts in, both of which are ones I am extremely interested in. The philanthropies are both things I am already involved in, and well. . .so far that's where I'm at.

Emails are sent and I'm talking to my friends about rec letters. I'll keep y'all posted.

~twocutetx
Old 11-17-2005, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Woo Hoo, congrats!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

So far, so good! Keep us posted!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

twocutetx - best of luck! I noticed you were from North Texas, and I just think that's neat What a small world!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twocutetx Send a message via MSN to twocutetx Send a message via Yahoo to twocutetx
Whew!

Okay so. . sorority A and B have both responded to me on the national level. I have former members from both that are willing to sponsor me.

So I guess at this point I'm still in the holding phase. One is forwarding my information to a local alum group, the other I think has to determine if I am even eligible for their program.

I think things get confused because I'm still an undergrad. It seems that being married and coming back to school confuses people *giggles*

The thing is that I *know* I have a lot to offer. It's more a matter of me finding the group that is right for me. If I need to wait until my undergrad is complete, I will. With my major though, I have to go to grad school *laughs*
Old 11-29-2005, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Whew!

Quote:
Originally posted by twocutetx
Okay so. . sorority A and B have both responded to me on the national level. I have former members from both that are willing to sponsor me.
HUH? Former members??????

I think you mean ALUMNAE members which is VERY different from former. Former means they are no longer a member of the group and alumnae means they graduated.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

gah!

LOL you're right I think I was trying to say former collegiate now alum members. . or something like that.

Too many wavelenghts right now heading into finals

~B.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Replying to myself to update

Okay so. . .

Ended up with a 4.0 this semester! *dances*

Question -- big issue I seem to be running into -- because I'm married, and once again an undergrad, I'm apparently not eligible for some of the sorors AI programs.

From what I am gleaning. . . if I were NOT in school I would be.

I'm so confused. Out of curiousity, can anyone share their experience with this situation? Or am I really just a freak?

*laughs*

Hope everyone had a great break and here is looking towards an excellent Spring semester!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think your marital status is the issue. It's the fact that you ARE still in undergrad. Many sororities require that you be either a college grad, or at least NOT be a current undergrad, hence the name ALUMNA Initiation.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

*ponders*

So I suppose then it is really a matter of semantics.

My husband is a Pi Kappa Alpha alum -- he has been since we married He has never finished his undergrad degree (and at this point most likely won't -- it would cost him more money to go back -- last time he tried they were using a book he wrote as the text for the class. He was quite upset that they wouldn't let him OUT of the class LOL).

At this point though, I'm investigating. Some consider women alumnae when they marry whether they are undergrad or not. It's actually rather fascinating.

Either way, I will most likely graduate in May, 2007. I'm continuing my volunteer activities and group involvements both in school and out, and continuing to learn about various sorors.

This truly is a journey!

~twocutetx
Old 01-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Banned

Technically you are eligible for collegiate membership in a sorority. If you were going back for a second bachelor's degree you may be eligible for either collegiate membership or alumnae initiation (You already have an undergrad degree and are going back for another because of career changes, etc).

If there is a chapter of the sororities you are looking at on campus then I would actually recommend looking at rushing (COR or whatever it is called these days!)

Sarah

P.S. with regards to your husband, if you are initiated during college and leave school for whatever reason but are still in good standing with the GLO, you are an alumnus/alumna.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

That may be true, but I really dont think undergrads will look upon a women in the same situation as this.

I dont think she will fit the mold of giggling Young Undergrads. But, who knows that a person who believes strong enough and works with a Chapter can be Initiated somehow!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-15-2006, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Beryana
Technically you are eligible for collegiate membership in a sorority. If you were going back for a second bachelor's degree you may be eligible for either collegiate membership or alumnae initiation (You already have an undergrad degree and are going back for another because of career changes, etc).

If there is a chapter of the sororities you are looking at on campus then I would actually recommend looking at rushing (COR or whatever it is called these days!)

Sarah

P.S. with regards to your husband, if you are initiated during college and leave school for whatever reason but are still in good standing with the GLO, you are an alumnus/alumna.
Yes, since you are still in school you are not eligible for most AI programs.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

hehe

That's where I've been confused!

*laughs*

I considered going through rush at UNT -- spoke to the Greek Life office. I was told that most likely I would not get a bid and that it would probably be a waste of my time.

I was also told directly by one sorority here (that I contacted about COB) that I was not eligible for their undergrad program because I'm married.

I'm thinking perhaps I'll copy the emails from the National office of one of the sorors that I have been chatting with here hehe. . actually I won't (wouldn't -- not very polite) -- but I was told directly that if I were NOT in school (ie not opted to return to finish) that I *would* be eligible for their AI program. It's the fact that I've gone back *boggles* I guess I don't really understand the premise. If I've been told incorrectly (and I will NOT name organizations here -- you are free to ask me privately though) I would love clarification.

*sighs*

Maybe I'll just wait until grad school. It's just frustrating at this point.

About my hubby -- he opted for alumnus (whichever form of the word -- I'm sorry that word gives me fits!) status when we married for a myriad of reasons. He actually was given the choice to remain an active -- and it was his decision. Once in awhile, he does express regret, but there is irony in his chapter having been suspended and now re-forming at our previous school.

*babbles*

~twocutetx
Old 01-15-2006, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: hehe

Quote:
Originally posted by twocutetx
That's where I've been confused!
I was also told directly by one sorority here (that I contacted about COB) that I was not eligible for their undergrad program because I'm married.

I'm thinking perhaps I'll copy the emails from the National office of one of the sorors that I have been chatting with here hehe. . actually I won't (wouldn't -- not very polite) -- but I was told directly that if I were NOT in school (ie not opted to return to finish) that I *would* be eligible for their AI program. It's the fact that I've gone back *boggles* I guess I don't really understand the premise. If I've been told incorrectly (and I will NOT name organizations here -- you are free to ask me privately though) I would love clarification.

*sighs*

Maybe I'll just wait until grad school. It's just frustrating at this point.

About my hubby -- he opted for alumnus (whichever form of the word -- I'm sorry that word gives me fits!) status when we married for a myriad of reasons. He actually was given the choice to remain an active -- and it was his decision. Once in awhile, he does express regret, but there is irony in his chapter having been suspended and now re-forming at our previous school.

*babbles*

~twocutetx
Yep, we give our undergrads the option to go alum if they get married as well.

I can only speak for us, but yes because you are still an undergrad, you would not be eligible to AI. And yes, if you were not in school you would be eligible.

I'm not sure why they would automatically say you weren't eligible JUST because you were married, but I think getting a bid would be very slim.