Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,210
0 members and 1,210 guests
No Members online

Old 09-22-2006, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity Dues and Fees

All,

How isthe second year of PiKA's new dues structure affecting you - particularly in regards to rush?

The benefits were supposed to be cost breaks for bigger chapters and having a clearer idea of what a chapter was to pay each year (since their are less per-man charges).

Who is using it to their competive or economic advantage?

Thoughts?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Our guys (FSU) think it's a much better deal for us because of the size.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiKAMu
I am glad its better for all of yall at big schools but its a hell of a burden for us at small schools
Old 02-20-2007, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by AymanKappaGamma; 06-23-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't say that Sig Ep was "one of the top fraternities in the world", or if they are, they haven't been there for long. Traditionally, Sig Ep was not one of the major players. They call themselves the "largest fraternity" because they have a huge number of chapters and so their undergraduate population may be larger.
Sig Ep has been very aggressive and has had a lot of success, albeit recently. You have to give them credit for their ambition.

I like having pledges, but I want us to eliminate hazing. I'm not in favor of numbers above all things, but the big fraternities do feast on the smaller ones, and I don't want to be the prey.
You'd be surprised about chapter size at small schools. A school with 2,000 students as you cite is most likely a private school. Let's say 1,000 of them are men. If there are four fraternities, two will be rivals, and strong. They should easily maintain 65 men. If the 2,000-student school is a public institution without a student body that can financially or socially support fraternities, then we shouldn't be on that campus.

I guess what I'm telling you is: don't be concerend that Pike national is patterning themselves after Sig Ep. That is not happening. Pike is, and should be, comparing themselves to peers like SAE and Sigma Chi.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never understood - or had much patience for - the second-person "nationals" references. WE are a national fraternity and WE make decisions through governance and legislative processes WE have developed. WE vote for the board of directors (Supreme Council) and WE vote for legislation (like the change in the dues structure - which was only voted on by chapter delegates by the way). To point fingers at "nationals" is misguided. So, this is OUR policy - until WE change it.

I also don't agree that WE are becoming too myopic in the pursuit of chapter size or scholastic achievement. WE are focused on both, but I think WE'd all agree that the "Cornerstones" program - which is the basis for OUR awards - goes further and does better than any other fraternity awards program to recognize achievement across the board and in the areas that matter most, like character and conduct.

Finally, I must respectfully disagree with Firehouse about fraternity standings. SAE and Sigma Chi would only be considered our peers if we were doing a 20 year analysis. SAE, in particular, has fallen on hard times and I know that even recently their national finances were in ruins. (Their CEO is an academic for crying out loud.) Sigma Chi doesn't face those types of issues, but they are no where near where they used to be.

For at least the past ten years, SigEp has been the competition - and, for most of those years, they've been winning. We've kept the per-chapter pledging and initiation statistic leads, which is important, but they are kicking our butt in almost every other metric. Total chapters, total members, educational programs, industry image/PR, innovative programs, national fundraising, etc. It doesn't sadden me to say this, because I think we need a kick in the rear, but they are Number One.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

In response to AymanKappaGamma's post about the new Garnet and Golds, I am extremely happy with the contents as far as fraternity policies and guidelines go, as well as general etiquette, but removing such items as a textual Preamble, the Ode to a Pledge, and the Statement on Integrity is removing a pledges access to these great guides that the Fraternity provides. Also the layout of the Garnet and Gold is so jumbled and thrown together that it is at times hard to locate the information that you are looking for. Maybe restructuring the Garnet and Gold as well as the addition of an accurate index would help. Just some thoughts.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a member of Pike at Northeastern University. We have 68 people here at a school that does not have a large greek population and we have lead recruitment for the last couple years here.

I can guarntee you that our pledges not only know the new garnet and gold, but also the preamble, ode to a pledge, and the statement on integrity. We make sure of this during pledging and I encourage all chapters to do this as well.

While it is not included in the new garnet and gold I feel it is neccesary information for all pledges and we provide our pledge classes with handouts of this information and require them to memorize it i encourage all chapters to do this as well