Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,594
4 members and 1,590 guests
chi-o_cat, UVASquirrel, willTic, Zach

Old 04-24-2005, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

2010 Olympic Logo Unveiled

Apparently this Inukshuk is based on the one that stands in English Bay (was originally on display at the North West Territories Pavillion during Expo 86):

from the cbc

Vancouver 2010 logo unveiled
WebPosted Sat, 23 Apr 2005 23:46:55 EDT
CBC Sports
The 2010 Winter Olympics will feature a unique design of an inukshuk, a traditional stone sculpture used by Canada's Inuit people, as its official logo.

The winning logo, called Ilanaaq (el la nawk), was unveiled Saturday in Vancouver and was designed by local graphic designers Elena Rivera MacGregor and Gonzalo Alatorre.

Their emblem was selected by a nine-member panel and beat out over 1,600 other submissions.

The logo boasts five stone-like formations in green, two in blue, and one in red and yellow. Two pillars serve as the legs in support of the body, a horizontal shape acts as the arm and an eagle is where the head would normally be.

The form stands over the words "Vancouver 2010" and the five Olympic rings.

The different colours represent different regions of the country: the green and blues symbolize coastal forests, mountain ranges and islands. The red represents Canada's Maple Leaf and the yellow depicts the brilliant sunrises.

"There were only so many things that could represent the entire country," said Rivera MacGregor. "We researched it and we concluded the inukshuk was in fact one character that could pretty much tell the whole story.

"The value of the style and components of it, the colours, that's what took it over the top."

Rivera MacGregor said her team used an inukshuk in Vancouver's Stanley Park as their inspiration.

Even though the Vancouver Olympics are five years away, you can expect to see the logo on television, on signs, on clothes, and on global advertisements in the lead up to the 2010 Olympics.

"This is an emblem when you see it once you never forget it," said John Furlong, chief executive officer for the Vancouver 2010 Organizing Committee. "That's remarkable and important."

The new logo also impressed Jacques Rogge, president of the International Olympic Committee.

"I loved it immediately," Rogge said in a videotaped interview shown to the crowd. "I smiled when I saw it.

"It reminds me of a hockey goalie."

Paul Okalik, premier of the territory of Nunavut, was pleased by the choice of an inukshuk as the Olympic symbol.

"We don't have any Maple Leafs from where I come from," said Okalik. "This is very special.

"It shows a strength. Our inukshuk has been around a very long time. To be shown off to the rest of the world is very special for us."
Old 04-24-2005, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Thumbs down What a whack symbol

WTF????

I am with Aries on this one...not feeling the love
Old 04-24-2005, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Not really lovin' it either. Where's the maple leaf?
Old 04-24-2005, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

What is up with all these artsy-fartsy surrealist divas designing athletic logos.

Stick to abstract art Frenchy......
Old 04-24-2005, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Compared to the slug-like thingee Atlanta had in '96, you've got a winner. It was names Whatizzit or Izzy.

I think Eric Rudolph mentioned the ugly useless mascot in his "why I bombed Olympic Park" manifesto and confession.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising
Now the people will know we were here.

(They so need an Olympic t-shirt that has the logo and says that LOL)
LOL!!!

You know only a handful of us on this board actually get that.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

If the mascot ends up being the whorry marmot, then we're really set... LOL
Old 04-24-2005, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I was watching Global news tonight and one guy said that it looked like Pacman. Someone else said it looked like some cartoon character
Old 04-25-2005, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

god i get so confused with all these olympic things - theyre few and far between but it seems like someone is always talking about one of the upcoming games or who is hosting in like 2050.

where are the 2006 winter games?

what about the 2008 summer games?

oh, and i agree, it looks like the marshmello man. will the ghostbusters be in attendance?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
Not really lovin' it either. Where's the maple leaf?
Or being that it's Vancouver, the Marijuana leaf....
Old 04-25-2005, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't like it either. It looks like a cross between the "IRON GIANT" and one of the Decepticons / Transformers.

They could have done a really cool, stylized Canada Goose or something. Make it sleek and cool looking. The Inukshuk thing is only representative of the North. YEESH.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
Or being that it's Vancouver, the Marijuana leaf....
That would be a tourism boon!
Old 04-27-2005, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
Quote:
Originally posted by jillybean
god i get so confused with all these olympic things - theyre few and far between but it seems like someone is always talking about one of the upcoming games or who is hosting in like 2050.

where are the 2006 winter games?

what about the 2008 summer games?

oh, and i agree, it looks like the marshmello man. will the ghostbusters be in attendance?
Haven't seen logos, but the '06 winter games are in Torino, Italy

Summer '08 are in Beijing

Usually, I've found that the logo unveilings are very uneventful. Probably because they're usually so... weird. I actually like this one a bit (and agree it looks like a hockey goalie).

~ Mel.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

These are the dood-dads for the Italy ones....

Turin 2006
Mascots

"Neve": she is a gentle, kind and elegant snowball; "Gliz": he is a lively, playful ice cube. They are the two symbolic characters of the XX Olympic Winter Games. They complement each other and personify the very essence of winter sports.

The mascots were born from the pencil of Pedro Albuquerque, a 38-year old Portuguese designer who won the international competition launched by the Organising Committee for the Olympic Games in Turin (TOROC) on 25 March 2003. He was inspired by his passion for water and the incredible shapes this element takes on when it is transformed into snow or ice; by his research into the Italian spirit and the places hosting the Olympic Games; by the Olympic values; and by the technical characteristics of the various sporting disciplines of the Games.

"Neve" and "Gliz" reflect the spirit of the Italian Olympic event: passion, enthusiasm, culture, elegance, and love of the environment and of sport. They are the symbol of a young generation that is full of life and energy.

The 2006 Olympic Winter Games emblem portrays the unmistakable silhouette of the Mole Antonelliana. It is transformed into a mountain, among crystals of ice, where the white snow meets the blue sky. The crystals come together to form a web: the web of new technologies and the eternal Olympic spirit of communion among peoples.

and Beijing:

The official emblem of Beijing 2008 entitled "Chinese Seal-Dancing Beijing" cleverly combines the Chinese seal and the art of calligraphy with sporting features, transforming the elements into a human figure running forward and embracing triumph. The figure resembles the Chinese character "Jing", which stands for the name of the host city and represents a particularly significant Chinese style. The artwork embodies four messages:

- Chinese culture,
- the color of red China
- Beijing welcomes friends from all over the world
- to challenge the extreme and achieve the perfect and promote the Olympic motto of "Citius, Altius, Fortius (Faster, Higher, Stronger).
Old 04-27-2005, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000

Yep this one is so representative of Italians. It'd be more representative if it was a child running around from the mother who is trying to spank it with a wooden spatula or throwing a shoe.

Or the one they chose is good too. Looks like they're about to make love.

KLTC