GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,147
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, misskesha
» Online Users: 1,471
0 members and 1,471 guests
No Members online

Old 07-27-2005, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

2100 girls rushing

I've heard there are around 2100 girls rushing at UA this year. What do you think that means? Huge pledge classes or cutting a lot of people?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

It depends on how far away from total all of the houses at Bama are. If they are far from total, a good number of girls will most likely get bids. However, if they are at total or close to it, then it means that a large(r) number of girls may get cut.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Regardless of how close to total a chapter is, they can always take Quota..... sounds like large new member classes to me!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
It depends on how far away from total all of the houses at Bama are. If they are far from total, a good number of girls will most likely get bids. However, if they are at total or close to it, then it means that a large(r) number of girls may get cut.
Green Book gurus, and especially Bama advisors, would have a much better handle on this, but I was under the impression that quota is established based on recommended quota-setting methods. Then each chapter can take up to quota even if that puts the chapter above campus total. A chapter that would still be below total even if it took quota can take more new members -- up to total, in fact. But it would depend on circumstances and decisions at Alabama.

I'm awaiting corrections and clarifications
Old 07-27-2005, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
Green Book gurus, and especially Bama advisors, would have a much better handle on this, but I was under the impression that quota is established based on recommended quota-setting methods. Then each chapter can take up to quota even if that puts the chapter above campus total. A chapter that would still be below total even if it took quota can take more new members -- up to total, in fact. But it would depend on circumstances and decisions at Alabama.

Thanx for correcting me. Total at my school is pretty high for us, like we could all pretty much take pledge classes of like 20 girls and still be below total so this was never really an issue for any of the sororities at my campus.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker

I always thought the same way too. Here, campus total is about 65 girls per house, but houses will go through recruitment with 55 plus and the quota will be well over 20. I always thought quota was based on some equation based on how many girls were going through recruitment overall.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Every year on GC there are rumors like this...and every year they are wrong.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

exlurker, you are correct.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Every year on GC there are rumors like this...and every year they are wrong.
Thank you for saying what I was thinking. If 2100 girls go through to preference, I'll eat my hat.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: 2100 girls rushing

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovebama
I've heard there are around 2100 girls rushing at UA this year. What do you think that means? Huge pledge classes or cutting a lot of people?
That seems awfully high but I'll email my Alabama contacts and see if that is true. I know the past two years at Ole Miss they have said we would have 1000 or more but there have only been about 800-900. They are expecting a decrease this year because enrollment has decreased for first years and increased for tranfer students, ao around 850-900, which with only 9 houses, we all know that means a high quota of about 80-90 girls.

As far as large numbers of releasing girls, doesn't each house have to release a certain amount of girls based on their past few years recruitment results? I know at Ole Miss each house has to release a certain number. It is based on previous quotas, release figures, how many actually came back to their parties, etc., if they are up to campus total, etc.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greeklawgirl
Thank you for saying what I was thinking. If 2100 girls go through to preference, I'll eat my hat.
I'll eat my collection of Vera Bradley bags.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I'll eat my collection of Vera Bradley bags.
Don't eat them!!! Send them to me lol.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I found out there will probably be a little over 1000, with a quota of about 65! (from a very reliable source)
Old 07-27-2005, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

As of this moment in time there are exactly 991 PNMs registered for Bama. I just checked online. Recruitment starts on 8/16, a bit less than 3 weeks away. I'm speculating that we'll see around 1200 +/- and quota around 65 with 15 Chapters participating.

The University of Alabama administration has committed to significantly growing the student population over the next 5 years. This should translate into ever larger numbers going through Recruitment as well. Rumors were rampent in early spring that we would be looking at around 2500, but it doesn't look like that's going to be the case.

FYI - this year we will be using the new NPC Release Figure system. I suspect it will be very shocking to many houses when they see the number of invites they are allowed compared to past years. But I've heard most folks on campuses that have already gone to this say that while it was pretty scary at first, it all seemed to work out in the end.

We will also be using the new NPC Quota Setting formula where quota is determined by the number of PNMs that attend Pref night. As I understood it, quota used to use the total number of PNMs that went through Recruitment. It didn't factor in drop outs and women that didn't get return invites.

Last edited by Zillini; 07-27-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

what are the advantages of this NPC Release Figure system?