GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,462
0 members and 1,462 guests
No Members online

Old 10-22-2006, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Which Fashion Brands(Stores) Do You Buy and Why?

I love fashion, so I'm just curious what others buy and why?

Express

I love their styles, but most of all, I'm surprised how long they could last. I have a pair of pants I brought about 4 years ago and I wear them constantly and they are still good.

Forever 21

I love the fact that they are affordable and have tons of styles. But similar stores are trying to match up with them (like Wet Seal, H&M). So it's really a tough call, but I normally get my clothes from Forever 21.

Arden B.

Their styles tend to be more sophisticated and cute. Kinda pricy, but if you go at the right time they can have some really good sales. Their clothes are sturdy too!

I personally don't go for super big brands, because sometimes you can find similar styles in stores like the above

So what are you choices?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

for someone who loves fashion, your tastes are really mainstream. but whatever works for you.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
for someone who loves fashion, your tastes are really mainstream. but whatever works for you.
Yeah, I'm just hoping whenever I get a big fat paycheck that would change a bit I think the most I have put on is are Coach purses (which I have a few) I tend to go more for designs and some mainstream ones sometimes have some cute designs
Old 10-22-2006, 08:28 PM

I'm addicted to Chico's, especially the Travelers line. About 60% of my work wardrobe comes from there. A lot of their products are tailored for tall people, and I'm short, but if you choose wisely you can easily find some good-looking, flattering clothes.

I have a few suits from Brooks Brothers, but I haven't been happy with what I've seen there lately. The pantsuits are unflattering, and I don't wear skirts as a rule. Their blouses don't fit right, probably because I'm petite.

I used to buy a lot of clothes from Van Heusen outlet stores, but their women's line has really gone downhill lately... I think their designers have forgotten that there are colors other than peach and turquoise. DH used to buy a lot of shirts there, but even he has been disappointed in their recent men's line. (For some strange reason, he refuses to wear a pink, orange, and purple striped tie... ) I still have a few older items, in good shape, in my work wardrobe.

Take this in context. I'm *cough*29*cough* and I work in the financial sector, but in the technology division (hence, no suit-and-tie requirement, but you still must look good in case you bump into a client).
Old 10-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie_cat_4ever View Post
I love fashion, so I'm just curious what others buy and why?

Express

I love their styles, but most of all, I'm surprised how long they could last. I have a pair of pants I brought about 4 years ago and I wear them constantly and they are still good.

Forever 21

I love the fact that they are affordable and have tons of styles. But similar stores are trying to match up with them (like Wet Seal, H&M). So it's really a tough call, but I normally get my clothes from Forever 21.

Arden B.

Their styles tend to be more sophisticated and cute. Kinda pricy, but if you go at the right time they can have some really good sales. Their clothes are sturdy too!

I personally don't go for super big brands, because sometimes you can find similar styles in stores like the above

So what are you choices?

These are not appropriate for the twenty-something woman. Let me, the smarter, OLDER woman advise you on your wardrobe attire.

THIS IS WHAT IS APPROPRIATE YET STYLISH ATTIRE FOR THE TWENTY-SOMETHING WOMAN:

Old 10-22-2006, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

What do you know about fashion? You probably wear Crocs and flip flops to church.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I admit I'm pretty mainstream; I like Ann Taylor and Nordstrom and every once in awhile I find something nice at the Neiman Marcus outlet nearby.

It's weird being back in an office environment after 15 or so years. When I "retired", the de rigeur "dress for success" outfit looked something like this:

Thankfully, women are no longer expected to go out into the workplace looking like a linebacker in a skirt and the pseudo bowtie thingee is long gone.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
Ann Taylor Loft, and sometimes, just plain Ann Taylor

Banana Republic, and GAP as well

There's a Target near my house. And I used to work at another one many years ago. I admit they have pretty good clothes.

Sometimes AE, though not as much as I used to back in undergrad.

I used to really like Casual Corner, but they went out of business.

Otherwise, just mainstream department stores like Dillards.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 10-22-2006, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

As a petite person I find it really hard to buy pants, but I like Ann Taylor a lot. They are still too long for me most of the time though! Where do smaller women out there shop? (I'm five feet tall) I hate having to get EVERY pair of pants, dresses, and coats tailored! Any suggestions?

I'm a huge fan of Polo oxfords and polo shirts. I think it's a classic.
For summer dresses, I love Lily! It's always summer here in Florida, so I get good use out of bright dresses.
The shopping in Gainesville (FL) is HORRIBLE!!! We don't even have a decent deparment store so I save most of my shopping sprees for trips to Orlando or down south where I'm from.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Denim-wise, I like Citizens of Humanity and Paige. I do most of my work clothes shopping at Nordstroms, The Limited, United Colors of Benetton, etc. Outside of work, I wear a lot of stuff from Anthropologie, J. Crew and the like with items from vintage and secondhand shops or street markets thrown in.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG...those dresses have me LMAO. And to think that in the 60s, these were considered stylish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I buy lots of clothes (mainly tops) from Wet Seal, and none of them I'd consider slutty. Aside from my CFM boots I don't think I have anything in my closet that's slutty.
S, you DISAPPOINT ME!
Old 10-23-2006, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

There's probably something wrong with me- I kind of like those dresses.

When not imagining myself in crazy vintage prints I tend to wear a lot of J.Crew, Boden, Anthropologie. Pretty boring classics. However I am pregnant right now and just wish any of those lines did maternity- I'm totally sick of Old Navy/Gap/Target and think most of the maternity chain store stuff is fugly.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post

S, you DISAPPOINT ME!
Just for you, S. They'll be out and about for Halloween again this year.

Sorry, I only had a picture of my left leg. Don't ask me why it was out the car door like that because chances are, I was hammered.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Just for you, S. They'll be out and about for Halloween again this year.

Sorry, I only had a picture of my left leg. Don't ask me why it was out the car door like that because chances are, I was hammered.
Random, I have those same boots. I've used them for various costumes. They hurt like a mo-fo by the end of the night though! That's what I get for wearing 20 dollar stripper boots though! haha
Old 10-23-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, the last thing I bought was my winter coat...and that was from Brooks Brothers. Before that, it was a dress for a formal, and that was from Ann Taylor's new Celebrations line.

I'm boring, I know.