GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,165
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, LatexXUK
» Online Users: 1,022
0 members and 1,022 guests
No Members online

Old 05-16-2006, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Hazing Alleged -- Hartwick (NY) Fraternity

Station WNBC in New York and several other news outlets have this story about charges of hazing involving a fraternity at Hartwick:

http://www.wnbc.com/news/9224102/detail.html

Edited to add: an article in an upstate NY paper reports that the Alpha Chi Rho national fraternity has ordered the chapter closed:

http://www.thedailystar.com/news/sto.../17/frat1.html

Last edited by exlurker; 05-17-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

HAZE-Y DAZE: Hartwick College fraternity brothers Peter Torabkhan, Michael Scandiffio and Steve Collum (from left) have been charged in the sickening hazing.

----------------

May 17, 2006 -- Three frat brothers - two from Manhattan and Queens - forced a pledge at their upstate college to do sit-ups and push-ups in broken glass and urine-soaked garbage, cops have charged.

Detectives found out about the alleged hazing at Hartwick College in Oneonta about three weeks after it happened in April - when the traumatized pledge and his mother turned up at a State Police station.

The youth, who suffered cuts on his hands and arms, also complained that the Alpha Chi Rho brothers had forced him to carry rocks covered in feces for two miles.

But local cops said that part of the ritual was OK.

Peter Torabkhan, 21, of Manhattan; Michael Scandiffio, 21, of Queens; and Steve Collum, 21, of Ballston Lake near Saratoga, were charged Monday with first-degree hazing.

Torabkhan and Scandiffio spent a night in jail before being sprung on $2,500 bail. Collum was released without bail.

A fourth man, Yury Pertsovsky, 19, of Brooklyn - who does not attend Hartwick - was charged with aggravated harassment.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

did you have to hunt down their mug shots and post them online?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Sound like locals to me.

We as Major Greeks have no control over them, but still make all of us look bad.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-17-2006, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Sound like locals to me.

We as Major Greeks have no control over them, but still make all of us look bad.
I for one, am DAMN glad that "major greeks" have no control over us.

Just because you have a national board, national association,national X, Y and Z does NOT mean that hazing doesn't happen in your chapters...and you "major Greeks" are supposed to have control over that.

And BTW, I can say that the hazing in national chapters makes us locals look bad.

and to edit YET again, Alpha Chi Rho is NOT a local. They are a NATIONAL fraternity ("major greeks") founded in 1895.
http://www.alphachirho.org/index.html

Last edited by PhoenixAzul; 05-17-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
I for one, am DAMN glad that "major greeks" have no control over us.

Just because you have a national board, national association,national X, Y and Z does NOT mean that hazing doesn't happen in your chapters...and you "major Greeks" are supposed to have control over that.

And BTW, I can say that the hazing in national chapters makes us locals look bad.

and to edit YET again, Alpha Chi Rho is NOT a local. They are a NATIONAL fraternity ("major greeks") founded in 1895.
http://www.alphachirho.org/index.html
Thank You for the update.

Yes, not all Chapters of Nationals are correct in what they do.

I abhor any hazing by anyone, but many times Locals do it as there is No controls.

But, with National Controls, there is a much higher signaficance of control.

When National Chapters do it, they can have their Charters Taken.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-17-2006, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Thank You for the update.

Yes, not all Chapters of Nationals are correct in what they do.

I abhor any hazing by anyone, but many times Locals do it as there is No controls.

But, with National Controls, there is a much higher signaficance of control.

When National Chapters do it, they can have their Charters Taken.
Aye, and with locals, the university can take our charter and our house. That's a pretty high degree of control.

We also have a council, we can and do have sanctions, and we can and do close and suspend chapters.

Each chapter must also answer to their alumni as well as student and greek governance. The wild west this aint.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
Aye, and with locals, the university can take our charter and our house. That's a pretty high degree of control.

We also have a council, we can and do have sanctions, and we can and do close and suspend chapters.

Each chapter must also answer to their alumni as well as student and greek governance. The wild west this aint.

Most locals only have one chapter. While some have more, I wouldn't assume that's the case for most or all.

I know of a local that hazes very severely. Their charter was pulled by the school...but they don't care. They initiate members every semester, they have a house with letters on it next to the school [none of the greek houses are on campus there], they participate in Greek Week, etc. With locals, as long as they and their alum consider them a fraternity, a charter sure doesn't mean much.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
[B]Aye, and with locals, the university can take our charter and our house. That's a pretty high degree of control.
That depends on each individual group's circumstances. A public university has absolutely zero control over (for example) a local fraternity/sorority with no house or off campus housing. These types of groups generally don't exist with national organizations -- too much liability there. Universities and national organizations have a mutual interest in policing the chapters.

Locals vary A LOT. While Tau Delta, I'm sure is very much aware of its risk management situation, there are many locals with absolutely no risk management awareness.

National organizations force upon their chapters.

I agree, many locals do a great job of self-policeing, but if they fail to do so, often there is no one else that can step in. With national organizations, this is simply not the case.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-18-2006, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by Shamp311; 06-19-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sound like locals to me.

Alpha Chi Rho isn't a local, though, it's a national/international.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:06 PM
AOIImuffin8

they're local.

actually the alpha chi rho at hartwick college was local and lost their national accreditation in the 80's .
Old 10-24-2007, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIImuffin8 View Post
actually the alpha chi rho at hartwick college was local and lost their national accreditation in the 80's .
No, it was the Xi Phi chapter of Alpha Chi Rho. Their webpage (at least the frontpage) is still up.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
Most locals only have one chapter. While some have more, I wouldn't assume that's the case for most or all.

I know of a local that hazes very severely. Their charter was pulled by the school...but they don't care. They initiate members every semester, they have a house with letters on it next to the school [none of the greek houses are on campus there], they participate in Greek Week, etc. With locals, as long as they and their alum consider them a fraternity, a charter sure doesn't mean much.
I believe when PA referred to "closing chapters" she meant the Greek Council can close or suspend a group.

As for the local in your example, why are the other groups at the school letting them participate in Greek week? Sounds like some enabling going on there. Is this a school with all locals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittleschmegg View Post
I know of nationals whose charters have been taken away by nationals and they are not allowed to associate themselves with the university they attend yet they still hold events and have a pledge period. Locals can give GLOs bad names as well as Nationals, it depends on the campus culture and the members of the chapter.
Those are NOT locals. Those are underground chapters. This isn't even apples and oranges, it's apples and hippos.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Those are NOT locals. Those are underground chapters. This isn't even apples and oranges, it's apples and hippos.[/QUOTE]

What I was trying to say was that a school taking away a locals charter is the same as a national doing it. That organization would have to go underground just as a national would, it doesn't matter if the alumni consider themselves in a fraternity their charter has been revoked by the schools advisors and governing body. I obviously did not make my point in my first post, hope this clears up the statement I was trying to make

Last edited by whittleschmegg; 10-26-2007 at 12:56 PM.