Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Miles5566
» Online Users: 1,454
0 members and 1,454 guests
No Members online

Old 12-09-2003, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

PNAM ...let the search begin!

Hello everyone, this is my first post to GC, but a long time luker. I have a question and I'm a tiny bit confused.

I was a PNM of Group A in the 90s. Just very recently I wanted to reassociate myself with group A, the thing about is they don't have a collegiate chapter anywhere in my area. The alumnae chapter does not seem to be active at all, I've done some research.

I was thinking about inquiring of other GLO's that have chapters in the greater metro area, because I would love to help with collegiate chapters, in addition to there other volunteering opportunities.

My question is, since I was a PNM of Group A, would that make me ineligible to pursue PNAM with other GLOs?

Ms. Gwyn

Last edited by ms_gwyn; 12-11-2003 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

NO, in a nut shell, if you were never Initiated in said group. then you are not a member!

You therefore have the right to persue another Greek Organization!

Now the situation is find the right one!

The thing is, there are many Greek Organizations out Here are Great, it is just finding one that you fit in with! That being the People that you are Comfortable with as a Sister!

That being the Question, I give You Jill! She is a black female who affiliated with a So Called WGLO AP, I then defy you to find a Happier Person and a More devoute Backer of GreekDom!

The only thing wrong with JillyBean, she is a F- Rollor Coaster Nut!

Sorry Sweety, cannot let that go by!

LUV YA!

It is yours to ask and seek, just like any new possible memeber in a Rush Situation!

I and I am sure all wish you the very best of Luck! The dumbest Queastion, is the one you never ask!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 12-09-2003 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

What Tom said is correct.

I'm surprised that in a city as big as LA, there isn't a chapter somewhere near you. Granted, I'm not from there but Gamma Phi seems to have numerous alumnae chapters in that area, I would think other GLO's are the same.

My alumnae chapter's first AI was in your same situation and came to us wanting to initiate many years after college.

Good Luck.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

re: alumnae chapters

Thank you for your replies, I'm in sort of the same situation as Jill, that being african-american...

But the problem with Group A is that they have at least 3 alumnae chapters in LA, but there are no collegate chapters. I have had an idea of attempting to bring one here, but it seems to me that all the universities are pretty much saturated at the moment. Of couse working at a college could have given me the wrong impression. I would love to help out a collegate chapters in addition to the community service and other volunteer opportunities. I'm very big on helping non-profits

Group A is still in the running (I don't believe I have anymore "issues" with them).

But I am in the process of contacting 4 others that fit my ideas and have great philantrophies.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the important thing is:

1. You are interested.

2. There is more than one Greek Organization out there to look at.

3. Contact someone from a Soroity and introduce your self to them. Explain why you did not join in undergraduate years and why you are wanting to do it now.

I dont feel color should be that worriesome to you as you can see on GC. Bounderys are being crossed alll of the time.

Sure there may be some that still do, but the majority dont!

Just remember, "the dumbest question is the one you do not ask!"

Good Luck and keep us posted! Shame Jill is not near you, you would have a ball! One Neato Lady and AP!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-12-2003, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you Tom and SmartBlondeGPhB for your replies.

This is a scary thing for me, after what happened with Group A in college, I had a very bad downward spiral, first time being away from home and just the sheer size of the university that I attended was a bit of a culture shock, but I adjusted.

I've put in a call to Group A and have contacted a few other GLOs for their specific requirements.

Each GLO is so special in their own way, its kind of hard. But I have 3 that are pulling my heart strings and hopefully they will be positive experiences, in just going through the process.

Ms. Gwyn
Old 12-14-2003, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

good luck!! i hope you find your home!
Old 01-04-2004, 05:27 AM
GreekChat Member

As the holidays wind down...

...I, for one, am interested to hear more! What is the latest news? Everyone here on GC is quite helpful so do not be afraid to ask for aid if you need it. What college do you work at (poor grammar...sorry!)?
Old 01-04-2004, 05:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you only looking at NPC, or NPHC as well?????
Old 01-04-2004, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
That being the Question, I give You Jill! She is a black female who affiliated with a So Called WGLO AP, I then defy you to find a Happier Person and a More devoute Backer of GreekDom!
She's not the only one, Tom.. there are quite a few of us on GC.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish you the best of luck, and keep us updated.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel What college do you work at (poor grammar...sorry!)?
I used to work for Mount St. Mary's College in LA right next to (Doheny Campus) USC, and now in the process of looking another job at all the colleges and universities in the area, its been quite hard, I've haven't had a full-time job in over a year, the market is very tough in LA, but I'm also pursuing a home based business in addition to my part-time job.

Quote:
Originally posted by rho4life
Are you only looking at NPC, or NPHC as well?????
Actually,

I'm just exploring NPC at the moment. I don't think NPHC has AI and if they do, its an option that I will explore if the NPC doesn't work out.

I was actally a "pledge" for an NPC and at the moment I just feel more comfortable in the NPC arena.

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel ...I, for one, am interested to hear more! What is the latest news? Everyone here on GC is quite helpful so do not be afraid to ask for aid if you need it.
I'm going to follow the ladies lead on the Rush thread and give the chapters names (the Muses names) I've contacted 6 NPC groups that I was very interested in and have collegiate chapters in the Los Angeles area.

Clio, Thalia, and Melpomene came back stating that I need to know someone in the org to recommend me for AI. I haven't heard from Caliope and Erato, but I suspect that is because of the holidays.

I'm only pursing Urania their HQ was kind enough to send me several groups in the area to contact and I've done so. I'm now waiting to hear from the President(s) and hopefully meet with her or the group for some kind of project or gathering.

I'm quite thrilled at the moment, because this groups ideals, purpose and philantrophy are very touching, beside I just love their symbols.

Ms. Gwyn

Last edited by ms_gwyn; 08-31-2004 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by DGMarie; 02-17-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DGMarie
Is one of the groups you are pursuing the group you pledged at? I think this would be a good foot in the door.
They are on my list but not the group that I'm currently pursuing, they will be the last one that I approach if they others don't follow through.

I do have contact info for them, but they do not have a local collegate chapter here in Los Angeles, if I go with them, I would attempt to bring a chapter in the LA area, back in 1998 I did take some steps in re-affiliating with them, but only tentative and I'm looking for a chapter that hopefully has women that are closer to my age and driving distance, the alumnae chapter that I spoke with had neither.

Last edited by ms_gwyn; 01-05-2004 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ms_gwyn
I used to work for Mount St. Mary's College in LA right next to (Doheny Campus) USC, and now in the process of looking another job at all the colleges and universities in the area, its been quite hard, I've haven't had a full-time job in over a year, the market is very tough in LA, but I'm also pursuing a home based business in addition to my part-time job.

Actually,

I'm just exploring NPC at the moment. I don't think NPHC has AI and if they do, its an option that I will explore if the NPC doesn't work out.

I was actally a "pledge" for an NPC and at the moment I just feel more comfortable in the NPC arena.

Ms. Gwyn

While I totally respect your decision, and it's great that you have choices, all the NPHC women's orgs do AI. I was an AI in a NPHC org, and I've seen moms who get inducted after their daughters do it. LA is one of the best areas to be b/c everybody has at least one, if not two or three or more chapters in the LA area.

Good Luck!