» Online Users: 1,443
0 members and 1,443 guests
No Members online

Old 02-06-2008, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mneiai
Creating a Co-Ed Local

Hi,

I found this place through a google search about the above topic, so I thought I'd ask this here, at least for opinions....

I am currently in a local sorority, there is also a local fraternity on my campus, however, me and a few others are excited at the idea of possibly starting something co-ed. I don't think I could stand being under someone else's rules (that's why most of us joined locals--for the freedom), but will creating a co-ed local fraternity be so hard that I should look into creating a new chapter of a local one?

My school is about 30% Greek, so there's definitely some room to work with, since there's already rules in place to allow Greeks.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Unregistered-

If you check out some of the threads on starting a local, you'll see that it's often an uphill battle. I'd imagine starting a co-ed group would be more difficult.

What, besides the obvious, do you think you're lacking in your current sorority? What, besides the obvious, do you think youll gain by starting a co-ed fraternity ?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you trying to disaffiliate from your local sorority?

I feel that unless you are creating a coed service fraternity, then creating a coed social fraternity will be in competition/conflict with the existing locals.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Any chance your sorority and the fraternity might formally join as affiliated organizations? Having an official and solid connection might increase support for both organizations and provide an alternative to creating an entirely new organzation.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
What, besides the obvious, do you think you're lacking in your current sorority? What, besides the obvious, do you think youll gain by starting a co-ed fraternity ?
Well, as we like to say, since we lacked drama, we've started to create tons of it. At the same time, I feel that we're often trying to be a fraternity, and doing a half assed job at it. There are a growing number of conflicting views as to what, exactly, our sorority should be, which have lead to a certain schizophrenic feel to all of our activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Are you trying to disaffiliate from your local sorority?

I feel that unless you are creating a coed service fraternity, then creating a coed social fraternity will be in competition/conflict with the existing locals.
We are trying to create something that is completely new, not connected to any other organization already on campus. Are you mentioning competition in light of getting members? I honestly have a hard time taking any "conflict" seriously that could arise, in that we would be filling a niche that neither of the other locals have bothered to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Any chance your sorority and the fraternity might formally join as affiliated organizations? Having an official and solid connection might increase support for both organizations and provide an alternative to creating an entirely new organzation.
Starting a brand new organization would mean we wouldn't have to keep the "bad" parts of a sorority or fraternity, we'd escape from a lot of the stereotypes that are in place, and be able to not have to work around set ideas that some of the members have about the organization, that sometimes clash with what were the original goals.

There have been occasional mentions of joining together, but it would probably mean a fight as to what was kept and what was abandoned. At the same time, there are a few members of the local fraternity that it would not be a good idea to expose any girls to, let alone new pledges.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

What niche are you filling?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
What niche are you filling?
A group that would be social, that would be a lot more relaxed than the sororities on campus, especially since there are quite a few girls who have said they wish things such as sorority recruitment were as chill as what the frats do. It would also, hopefully, fill the void for all of the guys who don't want to be "frat guys" (with all the stereotypes, and truths when it comes to some of them, that go along with that), but would still like the closeness and experiences that a greek organization offers. (Note: I have actually talked to multiple males and females about this, this isn't just guesswork)

We have two organizations on campus that are co-ed, but both revolve around doing specific activities (one is a service organization and the other is for outdoors-y activities) and don't throw parties and only really take part in events/philanthropies with other organizations.

And I'm not sure why people think I'm ignoring the opportunities that my sorority has offered for me or why I think it's "disposable." And they're certainly not stupid. Every sorority girl I've talked to has had similar problems as we're currently having, with drama and conflict (and the ones that don't have that, always talk about problems with their nationals, yet another reason why starting a chapter of a national is not appealing). Wanting to be in something that is coed doesn't mean I hate my sorority, more that I think the idea of segregating organizations by gender is somewhat ridiculous.

I would, also, assume that the "Pi Phis rock. NCM looks stupid." comment isn't considering the fact that Pi Phi is dead on this campus, yet NCM is still around....I'd say Pi Phis very much didn't "rock," here.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneiai View Post
A group that would be social, that would be a lot more relaxed than the sororities on campus, especially since there are quite a few girls who have said they wish things such as sorority recruitment were as chill as what the frats do.
NPC in the last couple years has advocated that each campus take a look at different styles of rush, and if you would like yours to be more "chill," you can do so, without changing your sorority into a fraternity. If the majority of groups on your campus dislike the rigidity of formal rush, they don't have to be stuck with it.

However, if you're the only group that feels that way, why not just break away from campus Panhellenic and do rush on your own?

I guess I'm just confused as to why you want to take 37 years of history (quite admirable for a local group) and toss it, when all you need is to realize that a "sorority" doesn't mean only one thing. Unless you mean that people could belong to your sorority AND the co-ed group you're trying to start.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A group that would be social, that would be a lot more relaxed than the sororities on campus, especially since there are quite a few girls who have said they wish things such as sorority recruitment were as chill as what the frats do. It would also, hopefully, fill the void for all of the guys who don't want to be "frat guys" (with all the stereotypes, and truths when it comes to some of them, that go along with that), but would still like the closeness and experiences that a greek organization offers. (Note: I have actually talked to multiple males and females about this, this isn't just guesswork)
Why can't the members work within their organizations to defy stereotypes and make things more laid back? This is why it seems that your current membership is disposable to you.

Founding new organizations based on criticisms of the current organizations (you didn't provide any niche, service interest, or foundation that is more substantive than that) often does not end well. The new organization is often filled with bitter people whose entire existence is based on NOT being a part of "that other stuff." Also, don't be so cocky as to think that you all will not have your own issues and stereotypes to deal with.

Why not just petition for change within your respective orgs and work closely with one another for some co-ed effect? I know it won't fully be co-ed but there are also pros and cons with co-ed.

I think the response you're getting from us isn't because you want to start a new organization. It's because of your reasons for starting a new organization.

Quote:
I would, also, assume that the "Pi Phis rock. NCM looks stupid." comment isn't considering the fact that Pi Phi is dead on this campus, yet NCM is still around....I'd say Pi Phis very much didn't "rock," here.

They rock at a lot of other places, though. And NCM could still look stupid, however, THERE is the only thing we would have to go based on because it's a local. And a local that has very little info circulating about it.

I don't know why NCM (the name is still dumb) came from Pi Phi. Was it that Pi Phi lost its charter or were they just unhappy actives?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Unregistered-

Ok I'm so confused.

To the OP, by starting this new co-ed club, are you saying that you'll be ending NCM? Or will NCM continue on campus and you're just breaking off from it?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Good lord. When did the Greek experience become disposable?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Good lord. When did the Greek experience become disposable?
Kinda what I was just thinking. It's a campus club apparently.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Kinda what I was just thinking. It's a campus club apparently.
Based on the OP's location, I assume that it's Non Compis Mentis, a local at Rollins College that seems to have been started by members of the former Pi Phi Chapter.

And yes, they spell it compis, not compos.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Based on the OP's location, I assume that it's Non Compis Mentis, a local at Rollins College that seems to have been started by members of the former Pi Phi Chapter.

And yes, they spell it compis, not compos.
It's all very strange to me.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 AM

Pugsley Hall.