GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,168
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,407
4 members and 1,403 guests
JayhawkAOII, naraht

Old Today, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Schools that (should) open for expansion

This is actually a followup to an irishpipes thread from a while back
https://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=195512

If you were to pick a school that should open for expansion, who would you pick? Here's my list (I will note that schools that have opened recently, added a chapter within the last 4 years, or plan to open are not included.)

Colgate University (quote 60, last colony Tri Delta 1996)
University of Utah (quota 109, total 262, last colony Aphi 2012)
Georgia Southern University (quota 77, total 262, last colony Chi O 2016)

Also if there are potential hurdles to a school opening like needing a house and there not being land available, that can also be discussed in here.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old Today, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post

Georgia Southern University (quota 77, total 262, last colony Chi O 2016)

Also if there are potential hurdles to a school opening like needing a house and there not being land available, that can also be discussed in here.
A GSU sorority would have to find land to build a house and might struggle because they wouldn't be on Greek Row anyway. Also, they would have to put up with being the newest, therefore having to rush all the time. It's rough being the newest chapter on a Southern campus.
Old Today, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

All this summer, media have explored and explained the Enrollment Cliff colleges will soon experience. Any upcoming expansions will need to include those thoughs.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old Today, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
A GSU sorority would have to find land to build a house and might struggle because they wouldn't be on Greek Row anyway. Also, they would have to put up with being the newest, therefore having to rush all the time. It's rough being the newest chapter on a Southern campus.
I struggle to understand why some campus cultures are so brutal. It's a part of human nature to get caught up in a survival of the fittest mindset and a desire to be seen as the top. But man......some campus locations just eviscerate newer or smaller chapters.

About 7 years back at SDSU, we were dying over the gigantic pledge classes. At one point, our Gamma Phi Beta chapter was so huge that we had to purchase extra folding tables and chairs to set up in the *living room* just to make enough seats for all of the members for Monday night formal dinner. The girls were overwhelmed and we had members up to the rafters. We needed a new chapter on campus and we were relieved when one finally came on (DZ). We were GLAD to have that new chapter on campus!

True and Constant
Old Today, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

The Chi O chapter is thriving at Southern, though. I personal know some parents of Chi O's active and alum from that chapter.
Old Today, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Well, let's just say they're not up there where they were before they folded. You have 4 entrenched chapters--ADPi, Phi Mu. KD, and Zeta.