Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,165
5 members and 1,160 guests
KDKells

Old 06-27-2014, 06:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Happy anniversary! I am so proud to call you sister!
Old 06-27-2014, 06:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post

June 26, 2004

Ten years ago today I was initiated into Gamma Phi Beta....Being an alumna initiate has been a learning experience, yes. I do hope that I have earned my place in the sisterhood and that the efforts of my sisters to sponsor my membership was not a waste. 10 years is a long time; but, it is really only a beginning.

Thank you for sharing your story. Congratulations on ten years and your new job!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary. Thank you for sharing your story.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

That's a beautiful story. Congrats on your anniversary, may the next 10 years be just as fulfilling.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

What a lovely story! I'm sure that Gamma Phi is lucky to have you!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I hadn't read this thread before - what a wonderful story, and I'm so glad that we snagged you!
Old 06-26-2024, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Today is my 20th Gammaversary!

Can you believe another 10 years have passed since my last post? I am now a 20-year member of Gamma Phi Beta. I was initiated into Gamma Phi Beta on June 26, 2004. 20 years ago, I had the honor of being initiated at our Convention in Chicago in front of over 600 sisters. And can you believe this? --

Our 2024 Convention begins today......

.....in Chicago.

Yes. My 20th Gammaversary just happens to fall on the same day as Convention and in the same city. What are the chances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane
It's always a risk to initiate an alumnae as you don't know if she'll stick around or not. Gamma Phi Beta took a chance on me and I am so glad they did. My Big Sister, Cele, put herself on the line to sponsor me. She believed in me and, in turn, I hope I'll do her proud. I see the other alums and am amazed that they've been involved for 30-40-50 years. It's only been two years for me.... I feel like my journey with Gamma Phi Beta is still in the beginning stages.

I made this comment 10 years ago on my 10th. It's funny now because I am headed towards that 30-year arena. In the decade since that last post, I served 7-years as an international volunteer until I termed out of my role. Since I can't leave well enough alone, I am currently back for a third go around as Alumnae Chapter President. And I'm currently one of the administrators of the Crescent Catchers 'Badge Task Force'. If you're at Convention this week....come on down to our table and say hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane
For example, a number of years ago, I had toyed with the idea of becoming a firefighter. I figured I was too old and that it was probably a silly idea. Then I saw an article in The Crescent magazine, spotlighting a sister out of Oklahoma who was a Fire Captain. Like me, she had gotten a late start to the fire service in her early 30s, but she still rose to success. I contacted her and thanked her for sharing her story. We struck up a friendship. She encouraged me to reach for my dreams and that, no, I wasn't too old. When I took some firefighter classes at the community college, she even helped me with a homework assignment that I had gotten stuck on! Well, wouldn't you know it, I ended up getting hired as a full-time firefighter. Just last week I interviewed for a job as a Fire Captain. We have come full circle and I have a Gamma Phi Beta sister to thank for it.

I also previously posted this little story about how my sisterhood supported me through a career change. Well, to update you 10 years later, I did get the Fire Captain job.....and I have since also joined the SWAT team. LOL If you read your Crescent magazine, you may have seen me featured in one of the issues.

I don't say all of this to pat myself on the back. I only mean to express that sometimes we're not sure if an AI is going to work out, because many don't. But, as for me, I am truly grateful to have been offered an opportunity to join this sisterhood. I have tried very hard to give back to the sorority that gave so much to me. I hope I am paying it forward well enough.

Truth be told, I will probably cry during the initiation ritual this year as we welcome a couple of new alumna initiates. Five more years to go until I get my 25-year member pin!

True and Constant
Old 06-28-2024, 12:43 PM

Congratulations!!
Old 07-01-2024, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m reading this latest post, Navane, I feel inspired as I now am starting my life in Alpha Chi. I hope to be able to look back in 20 years like you can with what I’ve done to serv Alpha Chi

ΑΧΩ
Old 07-01-2024, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m reading this latest post, Navane, I feel inspired as I now am starting my life in Alpha Chi. I hope to be able to look back in 20 years like you can with what I’ve done to serv Alpha Chi

ΑΧΩ