Fox is covering this story right now.
At Least 75 Killed in Iraq Mosque Blast
Friday, August 29, 2003
NAJAF,Iraq — A Friday morning prayer service was rocked by a deadly car bomb that reportedly killed at least 75 people in the Iraqi city of Najaf, among them Ayatollah Mohammed Baqir al-Hakim (search), one of the region's most respected Shiite (search) clerics.
Al-Hakim, 64, and scores of others were attending services at the Imam Ali mosque in the town of Najaf (search) when the bomb exploded, leaving a hole in front of the mosque of about 3 feet wide and continuing a trend of escalating violence in the town, a holy city 110 miles southwest of Baghdad.
• Video: Shiite Leader Killed in Attack
"The bombing today shows again that the enemies of the new Iraq will stop at nothing," said L. Paul Bremer, the top U.S. civil administrator in Iraq. "Again, they have violated one of Islam's most sacred places."
The blast came one week after a bomb exploded outside the house of another of Iraq's most important Shiite clerics, killing three guards and injuring 10 others, including family members.
The gas cylinder was placed along the outside wall of the home of Mohammed Saeed al-Hakim in Najaf. It exploded just after noon prayers Aug. 24. Mohammed Saeed al-Hakim is related to the ayatollah who may have been the target of Friday's attack.
Abdel-Aziz al-Hakim, a Governing Council member, was leader of the armed wing of the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq, headquartered in Iran before the war. Ayatollah Mohammed Baqir al-Hakim, his brother, was the leader of the organization and had been dividing his time between Tehran and Najaf.
The Al-Hakims are one of the most influential families in the Shiite community in Iraq.
Iraqi newspapers reported two weeks ago that the Mohammed Saeed al-Hakim had received threats against his life. He also is one of three top Shiite leaders threatened with death by a rival Shiite cleric shortly after Saddam Hussein was toppled April 9.
A day after Saddam's ouster, a mob in Najaf hacked to death a Shiite cleric who had returned from exile. Abdul Majid al-Khoei was killed when a meeting called to reconcile rival Shiite groups erupted into a melee.
Shiites make up some 60 percent of Iraq's 24 million people.
"I saw al-Hakim walk out of the shrine after his sermon and moments later, there was a massive explosion. There were many dead bodies," said Abdul Amir Jassem, a 40-year-old merchant who was in the mosque and said the cleric had prayed for Iraqi unity.
Ayatollah al-Hakim was the spiritual leader of the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq and had divided his time since the end of the war between Tehran and Najaf, the holiest Shiite Muslim city in Iraq.
Mohsen Hakim, another of the cleric's nephews and a spokesman for the Supreme Council of the Islamic Revolution of Iraq, said in Tehran that Saddam loyalists were the prime suspects behind the killing, and he called on the U.S. occupation forces to identify the murderers.
Ahmad Chalabi (search), the head of the Iraqi National Congress and a Governing Council member, blamed U.S. forces for not keeping the region secure. Speaking on Al-Jazeera, he also said Saddam supporters were behind it and they were trying to create sectarian discord in the country.
No coalition troops were in the area of the mosque out of respect for the holy site, Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Jim Cassella said in Washington.
Also on Friday, attackers fired rocket-propelled grenades at two U.S. convoys in separate ambushes, killing one American soldier and wounding six, the U.S. military said.
Insurgents fired three rocket-propelled grenades at a supply convoy on a main road northeast of Baqouba, 40 miles northeast of Baghdad, said Capt. Jay Miller from the 67th Armor Regiment's 3rd Battalion.
The soldiers were also hit by small arms fire. One of the wounded soldiers would have to have a leg amputated, said Capt. David Nelson from the 4th Infantry Division's 2nd Brigade.
The death raised the number of American soldiers killed in Iraq to 282. Of those, 67 have died in combat since May 1, when President Bush declared an end to major combat operations in Iraq.
Another U.S. Army convoy was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade near a mosque in Fallujah, 30 miles west of Baghdad, said Spc. Margo Doers, a spokeswoman at coalition command in Baghdad. She said two were wounded in the attack, according to early reports.
In Saddam's hometown of Tikrit, 120 miles north of Baghdad, the U.S.-backed police chief narrowly escaped an assassination attempt Thursday.
Attackers sprayed bullets at police chief Talab Shamel Ahmed's convoy as it traveled on the main highway linking the city to Samara, said Lt. Rosco Woods, a U.S. military police officer supervising the Tikrit police force.
Ahmed escaped unhurt, but his driver was in critical condition in the Tikrit hospital, Woods said. The police chief was clearly targeted in the attack, which left the rear of his car riddled with bullets.
Ahmed is the fourth police chief in Saddam's hometown since U.S. troops occupied it in April. The U.S. military fired the other three for incompetence, Woods said.
There have been several attacks or attempted assassinations of police chiefs working with U.S. military authorities in Iraq. The police chief of Baiji, a town north of Tikrit, was also a target of one such attempt earlier this month, the military said.
Meanwhile at the United Nations, key Security Council members said U.S. talk of relinquishing some military authority in Iraq was a first step in trying to deal with the postwar turmoil. But they said a real solution will require more power for Iraqis and the United Nations.
The Bush administration is sounding out nations on a possible new U.N. resolution that would transform the U.S.-led force in Iraq into a multinational force authorized by the United Nations with an American commander.
The United States is trying to assess whether the proposal — which was floated last week by U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan — would prompt more countries to send peacekeeping troops to Iraq, thereby enabling some of the 138,000 U.S. troops in the country to return home.
The 4th Infantry Division troops carried out three raids across north central Iraq over a 24-hour period and detained 25 people, two of whom were targeted as Saddam loyalists suspected of planning attacks on U.S.-led coalition forces, said Lt. Col. William MacDonald, spokesman for the 4th Infantry Division.
Earlier Friday, the United Nations released a list naming 22 victims killed in the Aug. 19 suicide bombing of its Baghdad headquarters.
Sergio Vieira de Mello of Brazil, the secretary-general's special representative to Iraq, died in the attack. The other victims included nine Iraqis, three Americans, two Canadians, and two Egyptians. One person died from each of the following countries: Spain, Iran, Jordan, Scotland, and the Philippines.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,95987,00.html